Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Adding Fat Sac to Stock Ballast?

247GMC

I bought a 247 last year and have been trying to surf behind it. I don't know if I am just setting up the ballast wrong but it was definitely better with adding a 250 fat sac in the back surf side locker. I am planning on getting a 440 or 565(?) sac for the surf side locker and plumbing it into the stock ballast tank.

My thoughts:

Filling: Take the overflow line from the stock ballast and run it into the bottom of the sac then run an overflow line from the top of the sac back out of the boat.

Draining: Gravity would cause the water to flow from the sac back into the stock tank and out of the boat, emptying the sac first then the tank.

Do you think this is a good idea and will work or do you think I'm completely wrong with my thoughts? If you think this is a bad idea please give suggestions for either weighting the boat better with stock ballast or a better way to plumb the extra bag. I don't want to remove stock tanks and I don't want to drill holes in the hull if at all possible. Also I do have the power wedge.

Thanks

sounds to easy to me. KISS.

i am not sure how the whole stock ballast thing works but if you have the overflow line coming out of the fly high 750# that is in the locker, how will the discharge pump push the water out that way?

I hope your idea works.

I've been thinkin about hooking up a bow sack to the mid-ship tank the very same way. Seems like it would work. Might not drain the sack completely but shouldn'ty be any big deal if it leaves a little bit of water in there.

The only issue I can see might be the water pressure blowing the hose off the sack as it's filling.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Sounds good. or a t least i thought untill i tried it. The stock pumps will not hold the preassure. bought a jabsco revesable pump and wiered to a acc. switch on the dash. works great and only needed to connect it to the existing drain at the v drive.

Edited by liljohn