Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

05 RLXI Good Deal?

99response

Alright guys and gals I need someone to talk me into this.

History, I've worked for a Malibu dealer for 4 years and have owned 6 bu's in the past 2 years. I've had a black and tan, black and teal, blue and grey, and a grey one...pretty boring colors and I've always wanted a red one! I have a 01 SS VLX that I will be selling in the spring (anyone interested?). I've always wanted an 03-06 Rlxi, I don't like the new ones. So anyway I'm looking to keep this lxi for awhile, it's time for me to settle down, now that I'm 21 and all. :unsure:

I found a 2005 Response LXI in Florida. It's red and black (very sharp) with an 07 S/A boatmate trailer which is also red (black would be better buy now I'm getting picky). The boat has the promo Xtreme tower on it and a brand new in box Perfect Pass Digital Pro. It also has a stereo and wedge plate, snap on bow cover. Monsoon power w/ 700 hours, it was used by a ski school. The boat was recently sent to the factory in TN to have new skins and carpet installed (now looks like an 06 Thumbup.gif ). I will have a compression check and hour verification completed before I send the cash.

What do you guys think, keep looking or buy this one?

Thanks!

Chris

Edited by 99response

It is white, white main accent with tan and ruben (red) pin stripes, accents above the rubrail. Has a whopping 57 hours on it, perfect pass digital pro, Titan tower, heater, wedge, stereo, and will be in great shape with new decals wetsand and buff, along with a few (or an entire) new interior in the spring. I'm sorry but I did not take pictures before shrinkwrapping the boat this fall. If your interested shoot me a PM and we can talk

As an owner of a red, white and black '05 Rlxi, I can tell you that you will love it. I've had a lot of compliments on mine at the lake and even at the dealership from other customers. The price seems great. Go for it!

I think the intent of the purchase will be to buy it with the intent of turning around and selling it, not keep it and love it. If you think you can roll it and make a few bucks, go for it.

So anyway I'm looking to keep this lxi for awhile, it's time for me to settle down,

Jeez Edwin, try to keep up, will ya?

Chris, when you say, 'keep this lxi for awhile', how long to you mean, roughly? I have little doubt that you know what you're doing regarding price paid/resale value. However, when you do sell this one it will not be as attractive to a buyer, compared to similar boats with far less hours. Food for thought, good luck with it! --J

I would make sure to see this boat in person, seems like lots of hours or someone really serious used it on the course or lake. It would be a good feeling to see some records of oil change history, just my $.02.

Edited by 68Slalom

I hope the price is good, considering it has 700 hours. WOW!

25K for shipping? WOW! Is that a typo?

How many hours are on the boat up here?

What is the price dif on the totals (if you add needed equip to the MA. boat and add the freight charge to the FL. boat?

And I assume the Fl. boat was used in salt water, correct?

Quick, someone do a poll to find out what's the highest hours on an 05 around here.

Edited by JasonK
So anyway I'm looking to keep this lxi for awhile, it's time for me to settle down,

Chris, when you say, 'keep this lxi for awhile', how long to you mean, roughly? I have little doubt that you know what you're doing regarding price paid/resale value. However, when you do sell this one it will not be as attractive to a buyer, compared to similar boats with far less hours. Food for thought, good luck with it! --J

Jack,

Awhile, you know like long enough to put 30 hours on it....

Seriously though...I consider the 03-06 lxi a classic, and 05 was a good year besides for the carpets (which have been replaced). No fancy fly by wire, no fancy CAT's, EXT manifolds, etc...I can service this thing forever! I'd keep it for years...or until I can justify the cost of a VTX, whichever comes first!

Worst case I can put a new longblock in for around $2750

-Chris

6 bu's in 2 years but this is the one that'll stick around? no way....

Boat in MA actually sold yesterday, but one popped up in CT with tower, wedge, heater, but its yellow and an '03, 250 hours, asking $26,500

700 hours isn't too bad, I had a boat with 1400 this summer, but I did put a new motor in that one...

Decisions decisions!

Edited by 99response

Yeah, but those were v-drives. This is a classic Rlxi!

Wow that is exactly what my parents said!

Wow that is exactly what my parents said!

ROFL.gif Feeling old yet, Edwin?

yep..old AND wise. As most of us 'older' folk know, history repeats itself. Anyone care to make a small wager that if 99response buys this 700 hr RLXi that it's in his possession less than 12 months?

what florida ski school? do you know?

if its from scarpas place 700 hours at 5k+ revs barefooting is a lot of work IMO. 1500 hours of 3 event skiing is nothing.

lucky lowes?

Edited by Toby

Got the report back on the motor....compression is between 183 and 187 on all 8 (which means the gauge read 185 each time and they added one or two to make it look better) and the hours are 652 total hours broken down as follows:

402 hours at 0-1000 RPM,

86.4 between 1000-2000 RPM,

113 between 2000-3000 RPM,

39.7 between 3000-4000 RPM

10.7 4000-WOT

So, clean bill of health.

Good info, Chris. What is the compression supposed to be? Nearly 2/3 of the hours at near idle speed?

Edwin, you're on. Chris, please keep us posted. :)