Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

08 23LSV questions

atxfletch

Hey everyone.....pretty new to themalibucrew.com forum. I'm a Nautique 210 owner looking to convert over.....looking at the 23LSV's and the VLX's...leaning towards the LSV.

I've done lot's of searching around, but not a ton of info out there on the 08's.

1.) While I think the Illusion tower is rad looking...and I really how it gives ya lots of overhead clearance with the over the top bimini and all....I'm thinking I'm going with the Titan III. My reasons being I want a lower bimini for better sun and MOSTLY rain protection. We go out a lot when everyone else is going back in or not going out at all.....we get the best butter that way. The other reason being that I'd like to have the tower speakers mounted higher and farther back...and have a bimini underneath them....this protects everyone's ears inside the boat when getting sound out to the rider. Anyone care to share their experiences/opinions on this?

2.) I've been told to go with the Monsoon 340 instead of the larger motors even in the 23LSV. I plan to run lots of weight, so if properly propped...will I get the performance I'm looking for out of the Monsoon?

3.) Anyone here have any opinions to share regarding the 08 LSV wake vs the 07-and-earlier models? was curious because of the increase in beam width. I've only ridden behind a stock one....and I was pleasantly surprised that a stock wake could be that nice on such a big boat.

4.) anyone have experience with the new integrated stereo stuff? seems to me that all the integrated dash stuff would make it more confusing for those that aren't as familiar with your boat...am I wrong here? I'm about to head to the dealer here shortly to look at all of it. I'm thinking of ordering the boat w/o any stereo so I can put my own stuff in....IPOD only with EQ/amps/speakers/sub...

5.) Surfing - while I don't surf often...I'm goofy footed. Will the 23LSV throw a sweet starboard-side-goofy wake? I know the port side is supposed to be amazing...but it would be nice to here somebody confirm that starboard will be nice as well if properly weighted.

Thanks in advance! looking forward to your responses!

-Mark from Austin TX

Edited by atxfletch
Hey everyone.....pretty new to themalibucrew.com forum. I'm a Nautique 210 owner looking to convert over.....looking at the 23LSV's and the VLX's...leaning towards the LSV.

I've done lot's of searching around, but not a ton of info out there on the 08's.

1.) While I think the Illusion tower is rad looking...and I really how it gives ya lots of overhead clearance with the over the top bimini and all....I'm thinking I'm going with the Titan III. My reasons being I want a lower bimini for better sun and MOSTLY rain protection. We go out a lot when everyone else is going back in or not going out at all.....we get the best butter that way. The other reason being that I'd like to have the tower speakers mounted higher and farther back...and have a bimini underneath them....this protects everyone's ears inside the boat when getting sound out to the rider. Anyone care to share their experiences/opinions on this?

2.) I've been told to go with the Monsoon 340 instead of the larger motors even in the 23LSV. I plan to run lots of weight, so if properly propped...will I get the performance I'm looking for out of the Monsoon?

3.) Anyone here have any opinions to share regarding the 08 LSV wake vs the 07-and-earlier models? was curious because of the increase in beam width. I've only ridden behind a stock one....and I was pleasantly surprised that a stock wake could be that nice on such a big boat.

4.) anyone have experience with the new integrated stereo stuff? seems to me that all the integrated dash stuff would make it more confusing for those that aren't as familiar with your boat...am I wrong here? I'm about to head to the dealer here shortly to look at all of it. I'm thinking of ordering the boat w/o any stereo so I can put my own stuff in....IPOD only with EQ/amps/speakers/sub...

5.) Surfing - while I don't surf often...I'm goofy footed. Will the 23LSV throw a sweet starboard-side-goofy wake? I know the port side is supposed to be amazing...but it would be nice to here somebody confirm that starboard will be nice as well if properly weighted.

Thanks in advance! looking forward to your responses!

-Mark from Austin TX

As the current owner of a 23' LSV I can vouch for what a great boat that it is Thumbup.gif Surf wake is awesome w/ the right weight(sry don't have the pics right handy) and should only be better out of the newer ones. I can also second your opinions on the TIII Tower vs. the Illusion. I know the Illusion has it's own advantages, but I love my TIII. ROCK SOLID tower and the speakers are much more out of the way than on the Illusion. I also like the lower bimini height (I'm only 5'8" though) and also go out in the rain (when it rains in AZ :unsure: ). Can't say much about the stereo for ya Dontknow.gif . And as for the Monsoon, I would think that w/ the correct propping you should be fine. I don't have the 340, but rather the 325 and have had 12 people and full ballast and haven't ran into a problem yet. Just my opinions though, of course.

Oh, by the way ............. Welcome.gif

I would say that it depends on how much ballast you are really talking about. Here in Idaho, 75% of the 23 lsv's use the 8.1.

That way you get the weight of the motor and the torque of a big block. We actually see better fuel econ that way.

JMHO :) :) :)

Welcome atx.

I don't own an '08. But I'll throw in my opinion since I've been in more recent LSV's and VLX's and have 200 hours on my LSV.

1. The bimini won't block any sound. So don't get your thoughts there. I have the Titan, love it. But would consider the Illusion. They offer an extension to the bimini, which would be a larger bimini than the Titan.

2. Get the Hammerhead. I've got the Monsoon and it does fine. But if my boat sank today, I'd get the Hammerhead and EVERYTHING else the same. OK, I'd get the PowerWedge too :)

5. the LSV can throw a great wake port or starboard. Just set it up correctly with ballast. I'm goofy and from what I hear, the wake has only gotten better in following years. Buy two 750Lb flyHigh sacs for the lockers and you'll be set.

go with the biggest motor you can get 8.1

we have used them all

you cant save on fuel IMO an 08 lsv is going to use 5 to 6 gal an hour at 23mph wakeboarding no matter which engine you use.

now if you head out 10 miles to the other side of the lake WOT then the 8.1 will kill your wallet.

william

thanks for the replies y'all....appreciated!

It's interesting how many of you are pushing the 8.1. Would love to hear more opinions on this...especially from those that run extra weight. When I first started researching Malibu's, I was sceptical when people told me that I would be more than happy with the Monsoon. However...I know some locals that are running the Monsoon who are pleased with the performance. The 8.1 is like a 4 or 6K upgrade...right? As far as ballast goes....I haven't owned a boat of this size yet, but I know we push my 210 to the limits and I plan to do the same with the 23LSV. I imagine this thing will be chewing through the gas pretty fast when heavily loaded...so I could see us opting for less ballast on some of our days out on the water. I'm running 600 lbs of pop bags in the 210....a buddy here is running 1000 lbs of pop bags in his 05 23LSV. I'll likely keep 800 in pop bags....and then plumb ProX sacs on top of the rear tanks as well.

Chatham - on my 210...I can REALLY tell a difference when my bimini is up....blocking the Wetsounds Pro80's above it. They can still be heard well of course, but it definitely takes the edge off. This is nice when crankin' up the tower speakers for a rider...saves the ears of those sitting in the back.

Anyone live near a dealer that installs mostly Titan III towers on their Malibu's?

Titan III owners...do you recommend the Titan bimini or the Towerbiminis.com bimini? or...?

Edited by atxfletch

If you have the extra cash get the 8.1, we had a 23 last year and now we have the 247 and I love the 8.1. Great power and I agree that we use less fuel than with the small block.

You are definately looking at a great boat and you wil be happy with any engine you choose. Also the wake is the best. (make sure you get the Power Wedge)

If you have the extra cash get the 8.1, we had a 23 last year and now we have the 247 and I love the 8.1. Great power and I agree that we use less fuel than with the small block.

You are definately looking at a great boat and you wil be happy with any engine you choose. Also the wake is the best. (make sure you get the Power Wedge)

Plus1.gif

Rumor has it that GM is going to discontinue the 8.1 in the next couple of years and the 350 block will be the largest they make. If this is true, the 8.1 could really raise the value of the boat in the future for resale.

8.1 or Hammerhead, those are the only two I'd consider in the 23... you won't always need it, pleny do just fine with the monsoon, so I don't want to come off saying it wont work.

If you like power, and you're the type of guy that buys the bigger engines in cars and trucks, over the base engine.. then you'll want to do the same here. There are plenty of times, when loaded, that I'd give my cold beer to have a hammerhead in my 23 (and my 23 is a little smaller than the current ones)

Out here, I don't see many 8.1's and with gas prices they way they are, if you're concerned about retail, it may not be a selling point... but the hammerhead is the good -tweener

I spoke with Paul Singer (west coast regional rep for Malibu) at the boat show and he said in his 08 23 LSV he is getting the HH 383. He said in his testing he didn't see any real difference between the two. The 8.1L made more power, but was heavier, and that offset the difference in his opinion.

He also seems to be pushing the Diamond hull on that boat. He said they did some testing and the diamond hull gave the best overall ride and wake for everyone except for the highest level pro's. He is also getting the Diamond hull on his boat.

PS, for those that are 8.1L afficionado's this is the last year to get one in any Malibu (possibly even Indmar) powered boat.

Edited by stewart
I spoke with Paul Singer (west coast regional rep for Malibu) at the boat show and he said in his 08 23 LSV he is getting the HH 383. He said in his testing he didn't see any real difference between the two. The 8.1L made more power, but was heavier, and that offset the difference in his opinion.

He also seems to be pushing the Diamond hull on that boat. He said they did some testing and the diamond hull gave the best overall ride and wake for everyone except for the highest level pro's. He is also getting the Diamond hull on his boat.

PS, for those that are 8.1L afficionado's this is the last year to get one in any Malibu (possibly even Indmar) powered boat.

Uh oh, you opened up TWO cans of worms! Let the sparks fly!!!

anyone have pics of an 08 23LSV with a Titan III tower? I wish Malibu's online boat builder app would show the Titans.....

anyone else care to chime in on the Hammerhead or 8.1 over the Monsoon?

I imagine that I'll be running stock triple MLS ballast plus 800 lbs of pop bags, 2 large backs in the trunks(500-700 each)...plus another bag in the nose when we need it. I'm in TX, so elevation shouldn't be much of a variable....

With that amount of weight you'll want the extra hole shot the HH will give you.

I can't speak to the 8.1, but I know you'll want more than the Monsoon if you'll always be using that amount of weight.

I would get the HH and the Acme 1235 prop. The prop is listed as "high altitude prop" on the options list. You will have an awesome holeshot, lose 2 mph on the top end, and gas consumption will stay the same.

I would get the HH and the Acme 1235 prop. The prop is listed as "high altitude prop" on the options list. You will have an awesome holeshot, lose 2 mph on the top end, and gas consumption will stay the same.

Or the 468 OJ for higher elevations otherwise the 475 OJ are others to check out.