Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

batterys under the seat?

liljohn

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SacRiverRat

• WakeGirl

• dalt1

• liljohn

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ok now i realy need some help i called my service guy at my malibu dealer and he say no gel batterys period. apparently there is a problem with the voltage from the alternator being to high and causing the batterys to only have half the life that they are supposed to. on top of that he tells me that over the course of time it will cause electrical problem cuz as the batterys lose there life the lose there amp rating (i.e. 600ccamp new two years from now will be more lik 300ccamps) dose any one understand what im saying or can anyone shed some light on he situation? i have a good relationship with my dealer so i tend to belive him. but....should i start a new thread with this queshtion as i know lots of you have gels in your boats..

Actually, don't the gel batteries require a different charger or method of charging than previous standard cranking or deep cycle batteries? I wonder if an amped-up alternator might cook the battery prematurely. Just thinking out loud, somebody on here must be knowledgeable about this.

I've got an Optima in my 66 chevelle, it's my boats old blue top 34m starting battery from 2004. I start the Chevy every 6-8 months with NO charge. My truck has had a yellow top for at least 3+ years and my boat has a deep cycle blue top D34m optima for starting since I swapped out the starting 34m one in 2004. The stereo uses the dry cell Stingers.

Never had an issue with the gel batteries. Edit , AGM batteries.

Edited by bigD
Actually, don't the gel batteries require a different charger or method of charging than previous standard cranking or deep cycle batteries? I wonder if an amped-up alternator might cook the battery prematurely. Just thinking out loud, somebody on here must be knowledgeable about this.

Yes, you're supposed to use a 2 amp or less charger on them. But I'm not sure that the 2 are an apples to apples comparison, it's not like gel batteries being used in high performance applications is a new thing. I've never heard of what that service guy said. My Optimas have been in the boat for 2 years & I haven't done a single thing to them until last weekend, & the cranking battery was still showing at near 100%. The accessory battery was low, but came up in a hurry when I put a trickle charger on it (charged at 2 amps & it took an afternoon to bring it up to 100%).

ok i just got off the phone with optima. heres the deal-optima are NOT gel batterie they are sealed acid batteries. as long as you dont exceed 15 volts from the alternator you are fine. but he also said to make sure and get ther right blue top apparently there are 2 models one is a deep cycle and the other is not. the one we should be using is d34m and not the 34m. sweet im buying them today and then im going to have a conversation of eduction with my service guy.

Anyone know which Blue Tops Costco sells?

BTW, dalt1 nice install.

Rat, where did you get the isolator?

I got my deep cycle marine D34m at Costco, I think they had yellow also but it's been awhile since I've looked.

Anyone know which Blue Tops Costco sells?

I got my deep cycle marine D34m at Costco, I think they had yellow also but it's been awhile since I've looked.

Nice installs guys. Thanks for adding to my to do list.... Drool.gif

So batteries are not listed on Costco's website. Any idea of the price of the D34M?

Good. I got the right one.

I just paid $164.99 form mine last week.

Well now that we've got so much more space, no need for this mod yet...lol

Yeah, just keep telling yourself that. Bigger boat = more people and more stuff.

hellroaring.com Yes.gif Love the thing, never have to worry about switching batteries or wearing my starting battery down while sittin around chillin with tunes

At least not anymore.... getting jumped on the ramp was the last hair on that pony's back. Stew, you do remember that, don't you?

hellroaring.com Yes.gif Love the thing, never have to worry about switching batteries or wearing my starting battery down while sittin around chillin with tunes

At least not anymore.... getting jumped on the ramp was the last hair on that pony's back. Stew, you do remember that, don't you?

Yeah, Liquid Charge Whistling.gif

Yeah, Liquid Charge Whistling.gif

Ahhhh yes. The amount of liquid charge I consumed on that trip should have run that boat for weeks.... Thumbup.gif

Troy's still thanking you for that intro.

I LOVE THIS SITE!!! Thumbup.gif

woody thats exactly what i wanted to do i think ill position mine the same just on there sides with a small cover panel to hide tho conections facing the observers storage area. you guys rock. thanks again..

hey woody did you need to run new cables from the perko or were they long enough?

Sorry for the long wait, I was getting my knee fixed.

The cables are their orginal length from Malibu.

I put the stock battery under the seat in the bow of the boat on an isolator and the other 2 where the stock battery was.

l_af55e2dde2a6ea37e94acfd1296e5fea.jpg

Edited by zilla

Which model did you buy/ recommend ??

I can't remember which one I ordered, but I did call them & they took care of making sure that I had the right model.

Yup - me too.. 'cept, I just e-mailed them.

Awesome, that is exactly what i would like to do, with my 99 sunsetter.

Q1. How do you determine if you need 2 batteries to run your stereo, or is that just a given?

Q2. What kind and model number are those batteries?