Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

batterys under the seat?

liljohn

I have an 07 vlx and currently the batterys are side by side in the observers storage area. I would like to move them to under the observers seat. here is the problem they dont fit unless i leave the lids off the battery boxes. so my queshtion is has any one or does any one see a problem with recesing them into the floor a couple of inchs? Any input would be great. thanks in advance.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SacRiverRat

• stewart

• woody

• liljohn

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have an 07 vlx and currently the batterys are side by side in the observers storage area. I would like to move them to under the observers seat. here is the problem they dont fit unless i leave the lids off the battery boxes. so my queshtion is has any one or does any one see a problem with recesing them into the floor a couple of inchs? Any input would be great. thanks in advance.

How do you plan to recess them in the floor? Just curious

Good idea. But it seems like it might be easier to find lower profile batteries. Can you put Optimas on their side to make the clearance?

Thats what I was going to suggest. I would rather do that than holes in the floor.

Good idea. But it seems like it might be easier to find lower profile batteries. Can you put Optimas on their side to make the clearance?

Thats what I was going to suggest. I would rather do that than holes in the floor.

Plus1.gif

I just installed a Optima side by side battery holder to save on space. Check http://shopping.rexmar.com and see what the total height is. I can tell you it save some room in the front storage. I thought about relocating it under the seat, but all the wires from the amps etc. were already spliced.

Here is a picture of it in my boat.

post-28-1201654578_thumb.jpg

Don't cut a hole in the floor of your boat. Parts of the floor are a honeycomb structure and if you cut or disturb the integrity of the skin of the honeycomb structure you will weaken that area.

Instead buy some optimas or orbitals that are a lower profile and mount under the seat.

Here is my install.

post-368-1201660965_thumb.jpg

Sweet setup Woody. So no problems with the seat hitting the battery posts? I like the quick release straps too.

Gotta love those billet battery boxes. No way I'll be paying the $120 (or more) they want for them though.

Ours are also under the observer seat. We have a similar set up to Woody's. It saves TONS of space in the storage agea...and since I hate lifting that cushion up, I'd rather have the space in teh storage area than under the seat anyway. :)

Sweet setup Woody. So no problems with the seat hitting the battery posts? I like the quick release straps too.

There is 1/8" clearence from the seat to the battery posts.

The straps are homemade from a left over boat cover.

Edited by woody
Ours are also under the observer seat. We have a similar set up to Woody's. It saves TONS of space in the storage agea...and since I hate lifting that cushion up, I'd rather have the space in teh storage area than under the seat anyway. :)

Where do think I got the idea...

Thanks.

Thanks.

I think all of us did. We owe them thanks for the idea of spending all of the dough on the Optimas, the isolator, the wiring, fuse holders....if I had a nickel for every time I "saved" money or did something cool to the boat because of this site, I'd be a very rich woman. Crazy.gif So yeah, thanks to the Rat boy & Shannookie for their contribution to that cause. :lol:

It's cleaner now, this is an old picture. I took SacRiverRat's lead & used a Hellroaring Isolator. The system works great.

gallery_1_164_29464.jpg

Tracie! Glad to know it's 'cleaner now.' However, I am most impressed with seeing the tip of a slalom ski in the compartment! Whistling.gif

Thanks.

I think all of us did. We owe them thanks for the idea of spending all of the dough on the Optimas, the isolator, the wiring, fuse holders....if I had a nickel for every time I "saved" money or did something cool to the boat because of this site, I'd be a very rich woman. Crazy.gif So yeah, thanks to the Rat boy & Shannookie for their contribution to that cause. :lol:

When you have as many kids as we do, it's all in the spirit of finding more room to shove gear. Thumbup.gif

Of course, now that I have multiple pieces of equipment, we'll probably be looking for yet more space! Either that, or I'll just ditch the wakeboard alltogether. Dontknow.gif:)

I LOVE THIS SITE!!! Thumbup.gif

woody thats exactly what i wanted to do i think ill position mine the same just on there sides with a small cover panel to hide tho conections facing the observers storage area. you guys rock. thanks again..

hey woody did you need to run new cables from the perko or were they long enough?

DSC02113.jpgDSC02129.jpg2132.jp I did mine last spring. Pulled cables back uder floor and made a new hole to bring up near new battery location. If you locate batteries to right of underseat storage area, there is more clearance to the top and Optimas fit standing up here. Leaves even more space along port side storage for long items. Edited by dalt1