Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sacking a 05 VLX for surfing

Longjohn

What do all you VLX owners recommend for creating the best surf wake possible on a 05 VLX? I want to outfit my boat so she is ready to surf come Spring.

Based on your experience, what sacs do I need to add? Most of the time, the people weight will be minimal with just my wife, myself and 2 young kids.

Thanks.

What do all you VLX owners recommend for creating the best surf wake possible on a 05 VLX? I want to outfit my boat so she is ready to surf come Spring.

Based on your experience, what sacs do I need to add? Most of the time, the people weight will be minimal with just my wife, myself and 2 young kids.

Thanks.

Here is how we set up our boat.

Drop the wedge, fill up the surf side rear ballast tank, fill up the center tank, put a 750 fat sac the rear locker on the surf side, put a 250 on the seat of the surf side, and finally put a 250 in the walk way.

Set your speed at 10 MPH +/- .5 MPH

This set up produces huge clean wake.

Thanks.

Drop the wedge, fill up the surf side rear ballast tank, fill up the center tank, put a 750 fat sac the rear locker on the surf side, put a 250 on the seat of the surf side, and finally put a 250 in the walk way.

Okay gotcha but now I wonder if the PW at 1/2 or 3/4 would help?

Our list goes like this:

Bow MLS full

Mid MLS full

Rear surf side MLS full

Off side empty

Wedge down (floater, not power)

750 full in rear surf side compartment

500 full on surf side in cabin

Everybody sits on the surf side

Speed should be 10.2-10.4, depending on the rider

To make it better/longer, put another 250-300 up front on the surf side, but here's what you get with the above recipe:

post-1-1201473685_thumb.jpg

A few more questions:

1. How much weight in the bow?

2. What is the weight on the stock middle and rear tanks?

3. Do most people without a hidden bow ballast, put a sac under the seats anyways and fill manually?

WG--how many people were in the boat with that picture?

A few more questions:

1. How much weight in the bow?

2. What is the weight on the stock middle and rear tanks?

3. Do most people without a hidden bow ballast, put a sac under the seats anyways and fill manually?

WG--how many people were in the boat with that picture?

1Wakegirl and Woody have a great set up for surfing if you look at there spec's you will see Woody has no Bow MLS full and will add250 in the walk way. If you add even more weight up front it will make the wake a little longer.

2 not sure

3 No people like to use that area for storage and will just put the sac on the center floor or on the seat.

The bow tank holds 350, the middle holds 500 & the rear tanks each hold 200.

In answer to #3, I think that it's all personal preference. You have people that don't mind have 3 or 4 bags to fill on top of the stock stuff, & then there are those that want all of it hidden. To each his (or her) own. :)

Oh & in answer to your question, there were only my husband, myself, & our 2 boys (probably totaled 150lbs combined between the 2 of them) when that pic was taken. More people makes it better. :)

Thanks.

Oh gee.... Look who is concerned about the wedge setting now Tease2.gif

I'm not sure what the optimal position is for the power wedge. Dontknow.gif I havn't surfed behind anybodys boat that had one.

Somebody on the crew should be able to answer this.

In regards to the power wedge. We prefer it all the way down for surfing. With it 1/2 way up the wake just gets washed out.

We have the LSV though. Not sure if it does the same thing on the VLX. The good thing about the power wedge is it's easy to dial in once you have the boat weighted.

In regards to the power wedge. We prefer it all the way down for surfing. With it 1/2 way up the wake just gets washed out.

We have the LSV though. Not sure if it does the same thing on the VLX. The good thing about the power wedge is it's easy to dial in once you have the boat weighted.

Agreed. On our 06vlx in regards to the power wedge, its all or nothing while surfing. I've tried every intermidate setting and just get wash. All the way down=perfect or all the way up=still awesome just not quite as good as fully deployed.

Longjohn - this is our VLX surf article

I'm with zzbutler on the PW, down +2, you aren't going to tell him nothing about that boat, It's on time. I feel it's not relative to the 05 of the OP, I didn't notice if it was retro-fitted w/PW so I apologize if I missed it. Also the PW recommendation was with an LSV, not the VLX.

Thanks.

I'm not sure what the optimal position is for the power wedge. Dontknow.gif I havn't surfed behind anybodys boat that had one.

Somebody on the crew should be able to answer this.

Don't be hatn'... :)

Good deal. A long sac under the seat might be better, cuz the CFO might not approve of sacs on the seat all the time.

I got one for sale in the classified section. 2007 Launch Pad, 350lbs, it's about 12 inch tall and about 84 inch long give or take depending on how much water you squeeze in. I have pics. Asking $50 CAD, buyer pays shipping.

Thanks.

ROFL.gif

I surf on the driv Side

I fill all ballast tanks except non surf side (front, Center, Rear Surf Side) PWR WEDGE ALL THE WAY DOWN

Add the Enzo Surf Sac from FAT SAC It is friggin HUGEEnzo Sac - W712

dimensions: body- 30 x 25 x 26 arm- 72 x 25 x 12 weight: 1450 lbs. / 658 kg., runs from the Rear Locker to the cooler. It is custom made to fit the entire locker.

Then we take the Pro X Series Fat Sac™ - W707

dimensions: 50 x 20 x 20 weight: 750 lbs. / 340 kg. and move it around the boat to taylor fit a wake for the rider The further we move the sac to the front of the boat, the longer the wake gets, the further back the steeper it gets.

I am a BIG guy, 6'4 290 Lb so I need a big wake, this setup is the best I have ever used, I can surf all day no rope, heck, I dont even need one to start, I can just step off of the platform and have at it!

JEEZ I cannot wait for warm weather! Thumbup.gifThumbup.gif

This setup works very nice. A word of caution though, if you run this much weight, your driver better know what he is doing because you can take on some serious water and it can get scarry if you make a wrong turn. (ask me how I know) haha

Thumbup.gif

Joe

OK, I am interested in surfing too... Just started last Summer when we got a new '07 VLX.... When I sold my 96' Prostar 205, (to a a guy who knew nothing about ski boats) I made a terrible mistake of throwing in 3 fat sacs and a Tsunami pump.... My reasoning was that I mainly wakeboard, and I knew that the stock balast and Power Wedge would generate plenty of wake for what I needed. Well then after spending a lot of time on this site, I got interested in Surfing and I bought a Broadcast and Love surfing.... For Christmas I got a Yellow Loogey, and I am really looking forward to more surfing this summer. It is definitely easier on a 37 year old body than trying to learn new inverts on the wakeboard. But the majority of the time it is just the CFO and me and the surfing is not that great with just the stock balast. The Big kicker is that the main selling points for the new boat were:

1. more storage

2. not having to fill bags for balast (and having them all in the floor of the boat)

So, with all that being said, how are you all filling your 750 sacs in the rear lockers? do you have them plumbed in to the stock system, or are you using the Tsunami pump?? I found that I always got a lot of water in the floor when filling and draining and there is no real good way to dry that area out..... Also, about how long does it take to fill/drain a 750???

We plumbed ours in on a separate system: Simer impeller pumps to fill, aerators to empty. The Simers are a little slower, but they're very reliable. I think it takes 7-8 minutes to fill, a little less to empty. Our center MLS tank takes almost that long, so it's fine.