Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Norris Lake VS Dale Hollow (TN)

dalt1

I am familiar with Dale Hollow lake but not Norris. Can anyone give me comparisons as to water clarity and depths? I have been going to Dale Hollow for 10 years and am concidering trying Norris lake this summer. Will I be dissappointed?

Over the last 7 years, I've spent quite a bit of time (>3 weeks total) on each of those lakes.

The two are pretty comparable. Norris is quite a bit bigger than Dale Hollow and much more developed - which has both pros & cons. The facilities on the docks on Norris are superior to those available on Dale Hollow. (I believe DaleHollow's nicest marina is Sunset, while Sequoyah, Shanghai & Twin Cove on Norris are newly updated & very nice.)

Water clarity varies based on location, but it is overall slightly murkier than Dale Hollow. Depth is similar. It's not unusual to see 100'+ on the depth finder. You'll occasionally see >70ft within 10 ft of shore.

If you stay between Spring & Sequoyah docks, you will be in the busiest part of the lake and disappointed with the availability of smooth water between 10A & 6P. It's like the large area where the Wolf & Obey come together on Dale Hollow.

I have not spent much time on the 'lower half' of Norris, so won't address it. I've only been there for about 30 mins.

There is good water on Norris available most of the day, even weekends, typically upstream of Flat Hollow, in Big Creek & towards Twin cove. The marinas in those areas aren't as plush.

Slalom courses are sparse on Norris, not as important to someone driving a wakesetter as it would be to someone driving a Response.

Overall, I prefer Norris, primarily due to the availability of lake front house rentals, smooth water more of the day and it's a slightly easier drive, but I am equally happy to spend time on Dale Hollow.

Over the last 7 years, I've spent quite a bit of time (>3 weeks total) on each of those lakes.

The two are pretty comparable. Norris is quite a bit bigger than Dale Hollow and much more developed - which has both pros & cons. The facilities on the docks on Norris are superior to those available on Dale Hollow. (I believe DaleHollow's nicest marina is Sunset, while Sequoyah, Shanghai & Twin Cove on Norris are newly updated & very nice.)

Water clarity varies based on location, but it is overall slightly murkier than Dale Hollow. Depth is similar. It's not unusual to see 100'+ on the depth finder. You'll occasionally see >70ft within 10 ft of shore.

If you stay between Spring & Sequoyah docks, you will be in the busiest part of the lake and disappointed with the availability of smooth water between 10A & 6P. It's like the large area where the Wolf & Obey come together on Dale Hollow.

I have not spent much time on the 'lower half' of Norris, so won't address it. I've only been there for about 30 mins.

There is good water on Norris available most of the day, even weekends, typically upstream of Flat Hollow, in Big Creek & towards Twin cove. The marinas in those areas aren't as plush.

Slalom courses are sparse on Norris, not as important to someone driving a wakesetter as it would be to someone driving a Response.

Overall, I prefer Norris, primarily due to the availability of lake front house rentals, smooth water more of the day and it's a slightly easier drive, but I am equally happy to spend time on Dale Hollow.

weinrdog is spot on. The only thing I would add is that there are a few shallow sections of Norris to watch out for, but otherwise it is a great lake. Even on weekends, I've always been able to find good water.

We absolutely love Norris. As to the shallow spots, my experience is you just need to give the points a little room and you'll be fine. And a great perk - the marina's sell and serve alcohol Thumbup.gif Pull up, fill up your tank, cooler and belly all in one stop! We like Norris well enough to have made the 5-1/2 hour trek each way, pulling the boat, 8 times last summer - and we did not take delivery of the boat until Late July.

Thanks for the replies. If we make it there this year, we will be around Flat Hollow Marina. Thinking of renting a floating house there. We are trying to get enough people to commit to a houseboat trip on Dale Hollow but keep comming up short. The houses are about 1/2 the price and thought we might try that as an alternative to the houseboat.

Be sure to check out Sequoyah Marina on Norris. The Knoxville Malibu dealer runs a full pro-shop upstairs and usually has a couple boats on display for demo.

I rented a houseboat from Flat Hollow in '06. Really nice boat and prices on Norris are better for comparable stuff. Powell Valley and 33 Bridge have good houseboat prices too. 90% of my time on Norris has been at Shanghai. Thier houseboats are nice as well. IMO it's hard to go wrong on Norris.

If you rent out of Flat Hollow, just head out and turn left. You've got some pretty nice water. The farther you go, the nicer it will be.

You'll pass two additional marinas, Blue Spring & Union, then it will be pretty empty. Hopefully you'll be able to see some water like this...

These are each within 2 miles of FlatHollow.

'Early morning' (8:30) in Sept

CSC%20Norris%20Nikon%20065.JPG

Mid Sunday afternoon in Sept - There's about a mile and a half of that to either side of the 'hogs back' coming out from the point.

We were pretty skied out by this time, so were just hanging out for a while. I think we saw 2 other boats in 45 mins and one of them was another boat in our party.

CSC%20Norris%20Nikon%20016.JPG

FYI - Sequoyah is a LONG drive from Flat Hollow - Over 20 miles. Shanghai is about 12 miles.

• 15 years later...

It seems all lake traffic has changed during and post Covid.  We are considering a ski/wake houseboat trip to Tennessee for 2024.  

I would appreciate any updated advice on which lake we should consider for the houseboating, slalom and Wakesurf. 

We have a 20VTX and love smooth water, and surfing.    Also these wake boats drink gas, can you fill the Malibu off the houseboat or do you need to stay nearby a marina for fuel.

Edited by Weave
Spell check

We are on Big Creek near waypoint 6. Personally, my favorite part of the lake. The water is prettier, deep as can be, and the coolest shade of green I've ever seen in a lake. If you are one that likes to explore a bit, it's located where you have a few different options of the direction you can go each day. Some areas, Twin Cove, for example, your first 25 minutes of your day is the exact same.

The past few years (since Covid) have been super busy all over the lake, but this year things are pretty much back to pre-Covid "normal busy". During the week, there are very few boats out, but the weekends can get busy.

The gauntlet between Shanghai, Sugar Hollow, the Jumping Bridge, Deerfield, and Springs is by far the busiest part of the lake. Just too many densely located rental houses/condos in the area. This is where you'll find the worst water by far (brutal in a 20VTX for sure), and most of the day it's too busy to tow anyone safely anyway. East of Springs or south and west of Shanghai will treat you right. Google "Norris Lake Map" and find one with the little numbers in red that are waypoints on the lake and get it printed out. Terrible cell service on the lake, so you have to navigate by the marina locations and by those waypoint signs on the lake. 

https://ontheworldmap.com/usa/lake/norris-lake/norris-lake-tourist-map.jpg

I've never heard of anyone that has the ability to refuel from a houseboat, especially from a rental houseboat, so marina fuel is your only real option. You should expect to pay between $5-6 / gal, depending where you go. 

Best time to visit is immediately after school starts back up. The lake is empty. The water is still well above 80F and the weather is perfect, as long as you don't mind sportin a hoodie for the evening cruise. 

Reach out if you have specific questions. This place is the greatest. For the most part, you can't go wrong anywhere here.

• Like 2

Wow my old thread from 2008. My follow up, I have gone to Norris Lake now 1 time each year since this post. Its a 240 mile drive for me but love the lake and worth it. We now stay at Hickory star due to having friends there now. I still Love Dale Hollow also and it is half the distance from me. Have been there also the last few years. Comparable water clarity in my opinion. 

9 hours ago, mxmark4 said:

I wanna see that shade you built! Will be up there all weekend. Staying at Big Ridge and roughing it this weekend. 

We are staying at Hickory Star again. Will be between there and Stardust as the actual event is in Boyscout cove on Saturday. Will be over there probably most of Saturday. Where is Big Ridge?

It's up across from Loyston point towards hickory star marina. You will drive right past us on your way to BoyScout cove.  I stayed at Stardust last year which was really nice but couldn't get a place booked waiting on a flaky friend. We had a blast and stayed the whole weekend last year met a lot of great people and rode a ton. Hope you bring that air chair too, would love to try one again!