Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Radar RS1's

HOskier313

Has anyone checked out the new Radar RS1 bindings? I'm thinking this could be the release system we see any slalom bindings in the coming years. We had these at the booth at the boat show, and I can honestly say, I think this might be the binding where you get hardshell performance, with a consistent release system.

For those that have not seen them, they are a closed toe rubber boot that has a boot liner similar to hardshells. The back part of the boot liner slides easily against the inside of the boot easily allowing a release in an out the front fall. With all the laces cinched down, I could pull the liner out with my hand at the boat show. I'd be confident in an OTF fall on the water, the proverbial "eject" button will work.

Plus, they are PIMP (literally or figuratively depending on your like of gold)

I've had them on. They're incredibly comfortable even before the liners are molded. It should be interesting to see how the release system works out.

Don't read too much into that, I have no reason to believe that it won't, but it's based on the liners coming out of the boots and I don't think that's been done before.

Hey Hoov - You get your boots yet?

Agreed, I'm still waiting to see, but I spoke with the Radar Rep we had at the booth on Saturday and she said that Andy Mapple and Chris Sullivan took the boots out and were purposefully taking OTF falls to see how they'd release. I guess they spent a lot of time doing this.

Trent Finalyson will be at the Malibu booth (Cincy boat show) next weekend, and I believe he is now using them.

Galaxy - I walked by your "other" boat on Sunday at the show. Really liked the color scheme. I'll be there again next weekend at the No Wake booth. The Response is sweet!! You should upgrade, I'll take that '05 off your hands :o)

I've had them on. They're incredibly comfortable even before the liners are molded. It should be interesting to see how the release system works out.

Don't read too much into that, I have no reason to believe that it won't, but it's based on the liners coming out of the boots and I don't think that's been done before.

Agreed, I'm still waiting to see, but I spoke with the Radar Rep we had at the booth on Saturday and she said that Andy Mapple and Chris Sullivan took the boots out and were purposefully taking OTF falls to see how they'd release. I guess they spent a lot of time doing this.

Not any time recently. Andy is no longer with Radar.

Not any time recently. Andy is no longer with Radar.

Correct. This was a while ago.

Hey GT,

Does the Tige toni not come standard equipped with a prop? I noticed in the picture that there wasn't a prop on it and I was wondering if that's how they get the "world class ski wakes"?

Trent Finalyson will be at the Malibu booth (Cincy boat show) next weekend, and I believe he is now using them.

Galaxy - I walked by your "other" boat on Sunday at the show. Really liked the color scheme. I'll be there again next weekend at the No Wake booth. The Response is sweet!! You should upgrade, I'll take that '05 off your hands :o)

Upgrade!?!

You're hilarious :lol: I've already got a Response.

The '05 is magic and it's tucked safely away in my garage with it's Fall wax on it just waiting for the ice to move out.

Thanks for the kind words for "Toni", hopefully Andy can get a toe hold up here, get a few boats in the water. I happened to have my camera in hand when GK came by with his family to give the "other boat" the once over. I didn't catch him writting the deposit check for his own, maybe next time Biggrin.gif

Hey GT,

Does the Tige toni not come standard equipped with a prop? I noticed in the picture that there wasn't a prop on it and I was wondering if that's how they get the "world class ski wakes"?

Partytime.gif:lol:

Does that work with PP or is it exclusive to ZO?

Hey GT,

Oh, so you want the boat AND the prop? Man you guys want EVERYTHING!

Toni is so cool she doesn't NEED a prop. She is propelled through the water by Old Glory.

I'll be making a run out to my dealership in the near future to try on a set. I've never been extremely fond of how my Approaches fit my foot and the way my feet would start to cramp up at the end of a set.

Hopefully the RS-1's are the ticket..........if not I might have to take a Dremel tool to the boot and cut/thin parts of the tongue down.

I agree with GalaxyToad about the binding plate. Just a little more information about them. It's a single plate where the boots can be moved in 1/8" increments, instead of the usual 1/4" increments. Additionally, now the front and rear bindings can pivot either direction you may want. It is by far the most advanced binding plate on the market. The plate fits any ski on the market.

Finally, each RS1 is retailed at $230 per binding. The plate is an additional $60. If you buy a Radar ski, it does come with the plate.

It was nice meeting GalaxyToad and clarkgriswald at the boat show.

I've seen someone skiing with the RS1's and was surprised how flexible the plate was. It flexed upwards a lot when hopping off the dock. I guess it's not an issue as it would be mostly being compressed and not pulled upwards when skiing ?

I've seen someone skiing with the RS1's and was surprised how flexible the plate was. It flexed upwards a lot when hopping off the dock. I guess it's not an issue as it would be mostly being compressed and not pulled upwards when skiing ?

Thats correct. It does flex upwards if you "jump" off the dock. It's not bolted to the ski where your traditional bindings are. The design is to allow the plate to flex as the ski flexes. Once you're skiing, the skier weight alone will keep the plate resting on the ski.

Edited by HOskier313

The plate has shaped spacer washers that keep slightly off the ski and allow for independant plate and ski flex. Good idea. I was still surprised just how flexible the plate was. People get all concerned about plate positioning, boot position, fins etc to hundreds of inch and then plate can bend upwards by almost 1/4" ?

Well, I just picked up a pair. Standing on them in the living room they felt good. They go on very easy w/ a dry foot and dry boot. They come out pretty much as easy. In fact, the liner slides out before your foot even budges. No doubt in my mind in an OTF fall your taking a dive. They look good too.

Lakes frozen for now, so I can't provide any performance information.

Well, I just picked up a pair. Standing on them in the living room they felt good. They go on very easy w/ a dry foot and dry boot. They come out pretty much as easy. In fact, the liner slides out before your foot even budges. No doubt in my mind in an OTF fall your taking a dive. They look good too.

Lakes frozen for now, so I can't provide any performance information.

Plus1.gif

put my foot in a pair today. wow. apart from being the coolest looking boot and plate on the market they have much more lateral stiffness than i thought they would. feel fantastic! cant wait to try them!

oh, and just so you know, my lake isnt frozen. it was about the 75 mark today. Biggrin.gif

• 1 month later...