Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

PB Slalom

martho

What is your PB, in practice or tourney  

134 members have voted

1. 1. What is your PB, in practice or tourney

• never run 15 off @ 36mph
    • never run 15 off @ 34mph
    • 6 @ 15 36mph
    • 6 @ 22 36mph
    • 6 @ 28 36mph
    • 6 @ 32 36mph
    • 6 @ 35 36mph
    • 6 @ 38 36mph
    • 6 @ 39.5 36mph
    • 6 @ 41 36mph
    • 6 @ 15 34mph
    • 6 @ 22 34mph
    • 6 @ 28 34mph
    • 6 @ 32 34mph
    • 6 @ 35 34mph
    • 6 @ 38 34mph
    • 6 @ 39.5 34mph
    • 6 @ 41 34mph

My prediction: Michaels goes out and puts up a respectable 4@38 but doesn't make the finals. It'll show he's probably good enough to ski with the pros, but not at the same level.

What does that mean for our sport? Jack squat. It just means there's another skier out there better than me. :)

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• skisix@38

• Addictedto6

• UWSkier

• reggie

I would love to run [email protected] until I get my hips up, shoulder back, fin adjusted, proper driver, better course conditions, oh you guys get the picture.................."I" NEED alot of work! But I am having fun!!:)

Reggie

My apology in advance for ruffling a few younger feathers.

To those who think Dr. Jim "bought" his way in... kinda feeling he's had an unfair advantage kind of thing. Think about this...

We all stand on the shoulders of others. Who's had a more UNfair advantage in the following 2 scenarios:

Scenario 1: Dr. Jim, who's made a pile of money (I assume) fixing teeth or backs or whatever, and decides at a late age to buy his own boat, get his own place on water, make his own course, and then ski ski ski, do a great job at it, and start to compete. Others notice, think he's a bit of an inspiration, he gets better and better, and gets invited to play with the big boys (and gals.)

Scenario 2: Some young kid who was lucky enough to have been born to wealthy parents in a southern climate, has parents who own a place on or near water, the parents buy the skiboat, pay for a lot of lessons. The young guy feels he's "contributed" to his development by "choosing" the boat that good ol' mom and dad have paid for... maybe decides which board/stick he wants.... still gets mom and dad to drive him for years... progresses to "borrowing" mom and dad's boat to play with his buddies.... gets better and better.... enters tourney's... and feels he made it on his own.

From my view, in these 2 extreme (but highly probable and familiar scenarios), I think kid number 2 has had more of an UNfair advantage. I think, Dr. Jim stood on less shoulders to get where he's at today.

By the way.... this ain't just about skiing.. or boarding.... it's the way life works. (Not many folks have really got where they are all on their own. Greatest hockey player of all time, Wayne Gretzky had a Dad that helped Wayne get where he did. I don't suppose GW would be where he is today if his daddy hadn't been president before him. Too easy to get smug about our accomplishments.... until we realize who helped us on the way up. (I suspect young Shane and Parks Bonifay also had some pretty hefty help along the way.)

That's why if I see a young kid who flipped Burgers for years at McDonalds... scraped and saved to buy a 10-15 year old ski boat.... found ways to buy second hand skiis... I admire him/her more than the young kid doing flips and jumps on daddy's boat... and thinks he's made it all on his own.

Bottom line: Dr. Jim is a great skier.... I think he's been an inspiration (or a celebrity of sorts) that has helped make skiing more visible. I think "good" has outweighed any "bad".... if either of those words even apply.

Edited by doughickey

I agree with you Doug. I also have a 5 yr old son that has access to a private lake, wakeboards, slalom skis, jumpers, tubes, the list goes on....

I'll be happy if he keeps wanting to go to the lake with me and thus we will outnumber the CFO. I don't care if he skis or get excited because he doesn't ask to ski yet because the ski thing is my gig. He can ski all he wants to, when he wants to. That way it'll be HIS thing and not just something else dad wants him to do.

There is no way I'd be where I am today without a father who encouraged me to go to college and make a man out of a kid.

skisix@38,

If you don't mind, I would like to use that,"make a man out of a kid"....some family members could afford to hear that line every once in a while!!!

Great line!

Reggie

skisix@38,

If you don't mind, I would like to use that,"make a man out of a kid"....some family members could afford to hear that line every once in a while!!!

Great line!

Reggie

Go with whatever works. Thanks. Do you have some kids that "need direction"?

Doug,

Very well said. I do agree with you. I have made my way into this sport the exact same way. Both of my parents hate skiing and boats. I was brought up to skiing by family friends, going once a summer. I went to college and then bought my boat 2 months after I graduated. This sport is what is important to me.

I wasn't going to post on this topic anymore because I've cleary touched some nerves, but at the same time, have been exposed to different views. It has caused me to do some more thinking about the topic.

Let me revisit this question again...

Does Dr. Jim belong in the Malibu Open because it will be good for the sport?

Absolutely. He does hold the Mens 34 mph WR, so he is obviously a good skier. All this hype has been created based on the original statement by Dr. Jim saying he will break the world record at the Malibu Open, so this has been the most anticipated event of the year, thats great! Water ski peronalities (i.e. Schnitz) have come out and said "this guy is for real." All of this marketing has been great, although only visible within our sport. I still don't think it has had an impact on your everyday weekend warriors.

Here's a revision/further explanation as to why I still have a problem with all this.

1.) Pro waterskiers have (for the most part) ALWAYs been extremely friendly, helpful, and PUBLIC! These guys will be at tournaments and will shoot the breeze with the everyday Average Joe. When I went to ski school, I was coached for an entire week by Chris Sullivan, who hung out with us at night. These guys are just like us, excpet they get to ski more, and are good at it. Dr. Michaels has not skied in very many (nor ANY 36 mph) tournaments. How is that helping our sport? He should embrace the pro waterskier personality (not habits), and get to know the everyday skier. It was said that he hosts other tournaments at his lake he doesn't ski in. Again, good for him, but what about people in Florida, OHio, California, and everywhere that want to see him ski? Perhaps he is planning his "coming out" party at this tournament, but the more tournaments he's in, the more we get of this guy. It would be a huge shame for him to ski only 1 tournament this year (if he really is "that good).

2.) 34 is not 36 MPH - I PERSONALLY would have liked to have seen him in a 36 mph tournament to see what he can do. For anyone who has skied in a tournament before, its not even close the same to skiing in practice. Everyone chokes, I certainly wouldn't want to do it on my home lake where I said I would break the world record.

My biggest beef - how can a person have the location of a tournament changed to a state where it shouldn't even be?!? (No offense WI) The Malibu Open has always (not 100% sure) been held in California (corporate headquarters of Malibu). The year it is changed, coincidentally to the home lake of the "new" guy. I'm sure Chris Parrish (current WR holder, and Malibu team skier!!!) would love to have this on his home lake to attempt to break the record. This tournament should be held in California where it belongs (home of Malibu), and we should not be catering to this guy. If he wants to the WR, make him come get it. Don't deliver it to his backdoor.

Someone made the comment that "a course is a course - all the same measurements." I agree, then let's have this at a neutral site. Whether you like it or not, you always ski better on the course you are familiar with. Each lake has its own characteristics, (see Trophy Lakes or Okeeheelee Park.) and skis differently. Some lakes have short setups, some have long. Some has consistent wind patterns, others don't. Dr. Jim is the only one who knows his lake. I'm sure he didn't invite his competetion up last month to get used to it.

Sorry for the extremely long post. All of this is of course my opinion, please respond. No matter what, this is the most anticipated tournament in a long time. That definitely a good thing.

My biggest beef - how can a person have the location of a tournament changed to a state where it shouldn't even be?!? (No offense WI) The Malibu Open has always (not 100% sure) been held in California (corporate headquarters of Malibu).  The year it is changed, coincidentally to the home lake of the "new" guy.  I'm sure Chris Parrish (current WR holder, and Malibu team skier!!!) would love to have this on his home lake to attempt to break the record.  This tournament should be held in California where it belongs (home of Malibu), and we should not be catering to this guy.  If he wants to the WR, make him come get it.  Don't deliver it to his backdoor.

Moving the Malibu open to WI isn't about "catering to the new guy." The Malibu Open has ALWAYS been a travelling road show. 3 years ago it was in Illinois. This year, it's in WI, which BTW has more waterskiers per capita than anywhere else in the world, has more lakes than every state except Alaska, and is one of Malibu's biggest sales areas. Dr. Jim's lake just happens to be the best lake in WI that's close to large metro areas like Madison, Milwaukee, and Chicago. Chicago is under 2 hours away. Madison and Milwaukee are each under an hour away. It's an ideal location for this year's open!

skisix@38:

My wife and I would love to have children but so far no luck....My young cousin(21) has lived with us the last three summers to work and ski. My wife and I thought it was a good idea to help expose him to other opportunities in life(his small town is pretty limited for university, work, life experiences etc.) He is a great young man but sometimes he needs an ounce of clarity.

We purchased our first tournament boat in 01(our own money), first ski boat, we have always had access to a boat growing (parents) up but never a "ski boat"!!!! To me this was a big thing......he enjoys it as well, but every once in a while he forgets the hard work and sacrafices that went with this acquisition!

I am sure he will look back and say thank you!!

Until we have our own we will continue to assist others!

Cheers,

Reggie

HOSkier's arguments are slowing being eaten away at. :)

One last comment on this and then I'm signing off on it.

I think it's a tribute to TMC that a topic like this, which has started virtual wars on other sites like Skifly, has been debated in a pretty level-headed way. (except for HOSkier being wrong :):):))

Mike

Edited by mlange

I was wrong about it being in California, I still think its a load of crap its being held there. :) He still has advantages others don't. If anything, he's sleeping in his own bed. You can't argue that mlange Tongue.gif

Yesterday i was on the dock at Bellaqua (Sacramento) with 4 other skier who all pass 35 off at 34Mph and they were kind of joking who will have the better score... it finish with 4 at 38 Yahoo.gif

me i'm struggling to do it at 30Mph... Cry.gif

but i got very good coaching

JP

SIX @ 15 OFF AT 30 MPH behind my old Chapparal I/O, my old Flightcraft, and my Response. The boat helps, but the skill of the skier (or in my case lack of skill) is what makes being able to run 34-36 mph in the slalom course possible.

6 at 28'off and 34mph. I tried it at 36 mph and it just beat me up. It is amazing how two little mph can make such a difference.

Bumped the PB to 5 at 32', 34mph last weekend....35' is just around the corner.

The ole 5 ball syndrome..... you thought you had it run didn't you.

Congrats on the PB. I'm itchin' to get back on a course.

Bumped the PB to 5 at 32', 34mph last weekend....35' is just around the corner.

The ole 5 ball syndrome..... you thought you had it run didn't you.

Congrats on the PB. I'm itchin' to get back on a course.

Nope, didn't think I had it, I know I had it...complete brain fade on my part. Next time will be different Biggrin.gif

I agree - it's really nice to see some skiing discussion for a change! I'm going to stay out of the Dr. issue.

PB is 2@32off 34mph. I can run a pretty consistent 28off pass but I always end up with a ton of slack at the 1 ball on a 32 off pass. I've never been in a tourney - maybe next year. We're headed to Shasta next week and I'm taking a portable course so hopefully I'll get that 32 off pass.

OBTW: My friend and I have got a trophy that we hand back and forth when we get a complete pass a new speed or line length. My oldest son now wants his name on the trophy so it's become a great motivater for my kids. "You can't win the trophy if you don't ski!" Now my wife wants in on the trophy action too. I love it!

-Matt

Funny to see that a lot of people are cutting line on this board before maxing out speed for their age bracket.

My PBs if we are playing this game - 5@38' @ 30 mph in INT Wide Ride

1.5 @ 38' at 34 mph.