Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

PB Slalom

martho

What is your PB, in practice or tourney  

134 members have voted

1. 1. What is your PB, in practice or tourney

• never run 15 off @ 36mph
    • never run 15 off @ 34mph
    • 6 @ 15 36mph
    • 6 @ 22 36mph
    • 6 @ 28 36mph
    • 6 @ 32 36mph
    • 6 @ 35 36mph
    • 6 @ 38 36mph
    • 6 @ 39.5 36mph
    • 6 @ 41 36mph
    • 6 @ 15 34mph
    • 6 @ 22 34mph
    • 6 @ 28 34mph
    • 6 @ 32 34mph
    • 6 @ 35 34mph
    • 6 @ 38 34mph
    • 6 @ 39.5 34mph
    • 6 @ 41 34mph

Wow it is great to hear people are skiing again. I am so sick of the wally wakeboarders talking all the time on here. Oh did I write that???? Oopps. I love skiing and started the New Melonies ski Club in CA. We have a permanent ski course out here. I am also joining Santa Clara's ski club too. There is a guy who is in his 70's, in total pain when he skis, skiing the course at 30 mph at 22 off like it is nothing. I hope when I am his age I can still ski like him.

Brad Notworthy.gif

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• skisix@38

• Addictedto6

• UWSkier

• reggie

According to the local Malibu dealer, he got an RLXi this year and they had his old CC.

Might as well practice behind what you'll compete behind. . .

Yah, well, if he actually skied other tournaments, he wouldn't know what he would be competing behind. If he didn't draw the boat he wanted, maybe he'd scratch...

I would hope he's "sponsored" by Malibu now, I'm sure he paid them enough to get the tournament at his lake.

Can't wait for the Open. I hope he either gets the record, or takes an OTF through the gates on his opening pass. This way all this Dr. Jim talk can be put to rest.

I don't think he'll win by any stretch, there are some big score skiers entered,but I also hope he doesn't fall on his opener. If he falls on his opener, then all the Dr.J following will say the boat, or conditions or he was sick or something. I hope he goes out and has a good run gets into deep 39 or 41 and gets smacked down by Parrish, Rodgers, Winter, Brown and the like when they get deep 41 or run it. That way there is nothing to say- he did well but not well enough and maybe he should show up to more than one tournament a year to improve his chances of winning.

I don't think he'll win by any stretch, there are some big score skiers entered,but I also hope he doesn't fall on his opener. If he falls on his opener, then all the Dr.J following will say the boat, or conditions or he was sick or something. I hope he goes out and has a good run gets into deep 39 or 41 and gets smacked down by Parrish, Rodgers, Winter, Brown and the like when they get deep 41 or run it. That way there is nothing to say- he did well but not well enough and maybe he should show up to more than one tournament a year to improve his chances of winning.

Agree totally...if he doesn't put up a decent showing, the question will linger. That said, if he goes out and wins the event all the nay sayers will point to the home field advantage as the only reason. Personally, I'd love to see the guy get to a run off w/ Parrish for the win. CP is clearly the top of the sport at the moment, nothing better than a good head to head duel. Should be a good weekend...

I'm up for any score that will get this whole debate over with. For me, he has not earned any respect, and does not deserve any. He's some big shot doctor who can ski well on his own lake so he paid Malibu to a.) get a tournament on that lake b.) where he knows what boat he'll be pulled by and c.) has been granted an exemption to enter the tourny.

IF he does break the WR, it will be great for our sport as all the pro's will need to work that much harder to beat an old man who's only been skiing for 10 years. (no offense to anyone!!!)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

On topic: I ran a new PB last night so I actually participated in the poll.

HO I've got a little heartburn from your last comment.

"He's some hotshot doctor that built his own lake......". How is that different than the spoiled kids that go to Rollins on daddy's money and ski while partying every night. They go to the best coaches, best sites, best equipment? At least Dr. Jim has paid his own way. How many of us could be world class skiers, if we could concentrate on skiing and not paying the bills or raising kids?

I admire the old guy for setting a goal and doing everything he can to achieve that goal.

sorry for the rant....

I see Dr Jim kind of like that chick who did well in the Indy 500...if they did nothing else, they created a buzz around the sport that hasn't been there in some time. I'd bet there's a bunch of pros that are training harder than ever to make sure they don't get beat by the doc. End of the day, the entire level of the sport gets raised.

HO  I've got a little heartburn from your last comment. 

"He's some hotshot doctor that built his own lake......".  How is that different than the spoiled kids that go to Rollins on daddy's money and ski while partying every night.  They go to the best coaches, best sites, best equipment?  At least Dr. Jim has paid his own way.  How many of us could be world class skiers, if we could concentrate on skiing and not paying the bills or raising kids?

I admire the old guy for setting a goal and doing everything he can to achieve that goal.

sorry for the rant....

I understand where your coming from KB but, I don't think that many of us would be elite skiers even if we had all the time and money, it's just not everyone's bag. Just like not everyone can be a race car driver or a fighter pilot.

Edited by skisix@38

Has not earned any respect?????

Have you forgotten that he holds the Mens 4 WR?

I'll be the first to say that there's a big difference between Mens 4 and Open besides just the 2 mph, but to say that he hasn't accomplished something is wrong. Also, while he certainly competes for the most part only at his site, when he first tied the WR back in 2002 it was not at his site. The following link has the story on that: http://www.goode.com/e-news020724volume40.html

Aside from that, I couldn't agree more with the comments made by kbtheboz, edwin and skisix@38.

He's working his a** off and the sport of water skiing has more than its share of spoiled people in it. Hell, given the cost of boats today it would be pretty easy to argue that everyone of us (or our kids in my situation) is spoiled as well.

Finally, while you can agree or disagree with the hype he's bringing to the Open being warranted, you can't argue that it's bad for the sport. This may be one of the most anticipated tournaments in a long time and that's a good thing.

Mike

Edited by mlange

It doesn't matter if his rich, poor, paid his own way, someone else paid his way, the tourney is at his house, behind his boat, ect.... Who ever turns the most bouys at the shortest line length is the winner. Period. Point blank. No judges giving preference to someone, no B.S. That is the great thing about slalom that most sports can't offer, pure unadulterated performance. The winner is clearly defined by his own ability. Word.

OK - apparently I've touched quite a few nerves, but I did post that as my opinion.

kbtheboz - I see and understand your point. My biggest beef is still my points above. Even if I was rich (by working hard, which I def. admire him with what he has done as a doctor), I really doubt that I could "get" Malibu to come to my backyard! The reason they are going there is becuase all this "Hype" has been created because he ran his mouth. See his interview in WS magazine.

Mlange - yes, he does own that record. It is admirable, and was set on his home lake. Last year he registered for first Big Dawg tournament (the biggest tournament for 34 mph), and about a month before the tournament, scratched!! He could have had personal reasons, but it also makes it look like he was intimidated to ski against all the big name 34 mph skiers. Don't register if you don't intend to ski.

Brazosvet - I'm still up in the air about your post. I'd really like to agree with you, but I'm still having a hard time accepting it. The fact is, I still don't feel he has earned his way into this tournament as a 36 mph skier. He has yet to compete in any other tournament to meet a requirement. I know the Malibu Open has a certain number of spots available to "invites" (I think 4), but how would you like to the 4th guy that doesn't get invited b/c this guy has "paid" his way in with both his money and his mouth.

If you read my earlier posts, I'm not really cheering against this guy, I think all this hype has been incredible for the sport, no doubt about that. I do however feel that he has not earned his way into this tournament either. Either way, I think we know it will be exciting.

You guys crack me up...

"Sure he benched 400 lbs....but he'll only lift HIS OWN weights..."

Doesn't make the weights any lighter...

:Doh:

Yeah but......If it's on his own lake then he knows what the shore line looks like and that will make him ski better. Crazy.gif

He hasn't earned respect? OK, anyone that can run better than his record doesn't have to respect him. If you can't outski him.....shu.....er, hold your tongue and give him his due. Hasn't "earned" a spot? He holds the 34 mph record...what other skier that didn't qualify up front deserves one of the four invites more than Dr. Jim?

34 is not 36. It's a matter of meeting standards. The world ranking list consists of 480 skiers. Jim Michaels isn't one of them. I'd start with them first, I'm sure we could find 4 guys to ski.

Well, for not even being in the top 500 he sure has brought a lot of attention to the sport. I'm sure that is the purpose of the four "invites". It's all about marketing. Without the attention, no sponsors, with no sponsors, no event. Over simplified to be sure but captures the basic principle. He gets press and that's what sponsors want. Period. The fact that there are four "invites" doesn't have any bearing on qualifying. The skiers that are on the world ranking list that didn't qualify...didn't qualify. Sorry, maybe next year. If they took away the invites that doesn't mean they would increase the number of skiers that could qualify.

Anika Sorenstam didn't qualify for the Colonial, but did great things for golf by being there. Lots of press attn. can do wonders for what many consider to be a dying sport.

Brazosvet - I'm still up in the air about your post. I'd really like to agree with you, but I'm still having a hard time accepting it. The fact is, I still don't feel he has earned his way into this tournament as a 36 mph skier. He has yet to compete in any other tournament to meet a requirement. I know the Malibu Open has a certain number of spots available to "invites" (I think 4), but how would you like to the 4th guy that doesn't get invited b/c this guy has "paid" his way in with both his money and his mouth.

I hate to break this to you, but the road of life is paved by guys who paid their money and ran their mouth. If you don't like that, the only thing we can do about it is, ski more bouys at a shorter line length and beat their a$$.

I got nothin but love for ya brotha.

34 is not 36.  It's a matter of meeting standards.  The world ranking list consists of 480 skiers.  Jim Michaels isn't one of them.  I'd start with them first, I'm sure we could find 4 guys to ski.

16-year-old Tiger Woods made his PGA Tour debut under a sponsor exemption in 1992 at the Nissan Open.

He didn't qualify.

No one can argue that it wasn't GREAT for the sport.

I must chim in: Dr. J has done nothing but positive things for "our" sport. Yes there are issues but at the end of the day he must run the line just like everyone else....I give him credit for his age, determination and conviction to stay the course! We can all talk crap about the issues but come on guys he is another skier trying to do well...don't we all strive to get more balls....

I hope he puts in a good performance....it will only help the sport!!!!

Cheers

Reggie

I'm not sure "how much help " he is giving our sport. I think the litmus test is "does the average joe waterskier with his family in their I/O know his name" AND, by knowing something about DR. J. encourage them to promote/share tournament waterskiing with their friends? Rodman's a big name but he doesn't really help BBall's reputation.

I would also like to make one tiny clarification, I have yet to hear anything from Micheals himself, with the exception of his interview. All the talk as been from others who remain mostly nameless, except Schnitz.

My perspective on the whole thing is that a lot of folks keep talking about Micheals and how good he is or isn't and that is taking up the time and bandwidth of talking about how to get deeper in the course or drive better or set up boats better.

$.02

"does the average joe waterskier with his family in their I/O know his name"  AND, by knowing something about DR. J. encourage them to promote/share tournament waterskiing with their friends?  Rodman's a big name but he doesn't really help BBall's reputation.

I would also like to make one tiny clarification, I have yet to hear anything from Micheals himself, with the exception of his interview.  All the talk as been from others who remain mostly nameless, except Schnitz.

My perspective on the whole thing is that a lot of folks keep talking about Micheals and how good he is  or isn't and that is taking up the time and bandwidth of talking about how to get deeper in the course or drive better or set up boats better.

$.02

I am a wakeboarder and was seriously contemplating going to watch him compete...so yes, I think he brodens the exposure...

man, the only thing that bums me out about this thread is the fact that everyone keeps mentioning how great it is for someone "his age" to do what he is doing.

makes me feel REALLY old.... Cry.gif

Skisix@38 -

I can see where you're coming from, but I don't think the average family in their I/O would know who Chris Parrish or even Andy Mapple is either. So, I'm not sure that's a fair litmus test.

I do know that he gives up his site for other tournaments during the year, so he is giving at least something back. And no, these just aren't tournaments he skis in. One of them is the Wisconsin Scholastic Water Ski Teams tournaments for kids 18 and younger.

You are dead on, however, that Michaels himself is doing very little talking. The most I've heard from him was the WSM article. So, I think we've all blown it up as much as anything else and certainly more than him.

Mike