Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cleaning Transmission Screen

Delta12250

I have heard some of you mention cleaning the screen that goes into the transmission. I have a 2007 20 LSV w/ 320 LCR Inmar engine. Where would I find this screen? Thanks for the help.

I have heard some of you mention cleaning the screen that goes into the transmission. I have a 2007 20 LSV w/ 320 LCR Inmar engine. Where would I find this screen? Thanks for the help.

I've inferred from reading previous posts that your "authorized Indmar mechanic" or Malibu dealership doesn't even

do this step. Same with greasing the starter bendix. Funny how they throw in maintenance requirements that the

mechanics wink and nod at but never do. Dontknow.gif

If you have a Zurth transmission, there is a plate on the bottom of the trans about 2" x 4" held up by two bolts. It is above this cover. Remove cover slowly so you can see the order in which to put everything back together. There is a 2" x 4" gasket, with a round gasket above that that seals the can shaped filter (screen) in its bore. Mine has been spotless 4 years in a row, but I agree with checking it at least once. You will loose all your fluid by loosening and removing this cover.

Seems like I've heard from several people on this forum that they had nothing but problems after the "cleaned" the transmission screen. I use quotes because most of them said it was pretty much spotless anyway. I think they have problems getting it to seal up again.

Unless I hear that it definitely needs to be cleaned, and someone actually sees gunk in there, I'm not going to worry about it. I'll just change the transmission fluid.

I've inferred from reading previous posts that your "authorized Indmar mechanic" or Malibu dealership doesn't even

do this step. Same with greasing the starter bendix. Funny how they throw in maintenance requirements that the

Plus1.gif

I think you might have it wrong. I haven't heard of anyone cleaning a transmission screen. You need to clean the screen in the transmission cooler(heat exchanger), when you winterize.

And depending on the mounting of the cooler, it would be wise to blow it out. My cooler is mounted close to horizontal and when I got the boat the lowest end had a crack at the joint(my assumption was from freezing). I put a small weld on it and check it every year. Newer boats have it mounted more vertically.

I think you might have it wrong. I haven't heard of anyone cleaning a transmission screen. You need to clean the screen in the transmission cooler(heat exchanger), when you winterize.

And depending on the mounting of the cooler, it would be wise to blow it out. My cooler is mounted close to horizontal and when I got the boat the lowest end had a crack at the joint(my assumption was from freezing). I put a small weld on it and check it every year. Newer boats have it mounted more vertically.

It says in the Indmar manual that, "The transmission fluid must be changed and the filter cleaned after the first 10 - 20 hours of operation and once each year thereafter".

As others have mentioned don't worry about cleaning the tranny screen on the bottom it's more of a PITA than it's worth, but I would definitely change the tranny fluid every season.

Plus1.gif

I think it's the Transmission Cooler screen Jason K mentions. I seem to remember some of you talking about pulling out leaves and other debris when you are winterizing your Malibu.

I think it's the Transmission Cooler screen Jason K mentions. I seem to remember some of you talking about pulling out leaves and other debris when you are winterizing your Malibu.

The tranny cooler is located on the starboard side at the back of your engine. The hose from the impeller housing circles

around and up, and IIRC, the clear hose to the water-cooled shaft seal tees off just before the tranny cooler. Just loosen

that C-clamp, pull the hose off the lower/proximal end, and you can either a) shine a flashlight up to see the screen,

or B) stick your finger up to feel the screen. You can probably get most debris off the screen with your finger,

but it helps to, while holding a small cup underneath, gently spray a stream of water upwards to let gravity drain

the smaller stuff from the screen.

Be careful not to over-tighten the C-clamp when re-connecting. It's possible to crush the opening to the tranny cooler

if you get too carried away. Snug is good. Then you can just take a peek at it once you've de-winterized and have the

engine running. If its leaking water, tighten a bit more until it stops.