Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

VLX Wedge Conversion

RIPP52VLX

Hi all,

New to the board and am presently looking for a newer, used VLX.

In my searches, I have come across one with a manual wedge and was wondering if it can be converted to a powered type?

If possible, is it cost efficient, or should I just be looking elsewhere.....

Hi all,

In my searches, I have come across one with a manual wedge and was wondering if it can be converted to a powered type?

Somewhere, someone, (can't seem to find it right now) on this site just posted of a conversion that they successfully did. Sounded as if it all went fairly easy. Try searching the modifications and the tech forums and I'm sure you'll find it.

Oh ......................... Good Luck and.......................

Welcome.gif

IIRC, the mod was done with a power wedge from a boat that was a write-off. I do not think Malibu will sell you a power wedge for retrofit.

edit: oh yeah, welcome to the site :)

Edited by Cervelo
Hi all,

There's nothing wrong with the manual wedge I wouldn't avoid a boat because it had a manual wedge. You could always upgrade to a free floating wedge..

Hi all,

There's nothing wrong with the manual wedge I wouldn't avoid a boat because it had a manual wedge. You could always upgrade to a free floating wedge..

Free? How so?

Malibu will not install nor will they sell a power wedge aftermarket period.

Hi all,

Free? How so?

I don't think he meant a "free" wedge. But the floating wedge that many have upgraded too. ;)

Hi all,

Free? How so?

I don't think he meant a "free" wedge. But the floating wedge that many have upgraded too. ;)

Whoops forgot the smiley...ya I was just kidding. You can upgrade the manual wedge for the free floating, but it does require a new bracket. Just give your dealer your VIN and they can get one ordered.

Hi all,

Free? How so?

Maybe you could help out with the FREE part Thumbup.gif

You can not get a Power Wedge aftermarket...Malibu does not even sale them to dealers, only through warranty on an existing Power Wedge. The Power Wedge can only be installed correctly during production at the factory.

Thanks for all the input everyone. Thumbup.gif

I wasn't aware of the free floating wedge option, but it seems like a viable upgrade. Great report Wakegirl!

I like the idea of the adjustablity of the power wedge, but assume those of you without power are adjusting ballast in place of wedge position. Does this give you much control of the wake shape?

I wasn't aware of the free floating wedge option, but it seems like a viable upgrade. Great report Wakegirl!

I like the idea of the adjustablity of the power wedge, but assume those of you without power are adjusting ballast in place of wedge position. Does this give you much control of the wake shape?

I did the power wedge conversion, works great, glad I switched, much easier.

Yes, we use weight to adjust shape. It won't be quite the same, but I'm very happy with what we can get out of our boat. Many people like using weight better anyway, since the wedge shapes the wake differently than weight does - it's so subjective. A lot of people get hung up on having to have all of the "best" features, but I've seen enough reports of problems with the power wedge to scare me away. The floating wedge may be a step down, but IME it's a short step. :)

What year is the boat that you're looking at?

The boat I am looking at is an 05 VLX with very low hours.

From the information you guys have provided me, I am goiing to pursue it further.

Thanks again...

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
You can not get a Power Wedge aftermarket...Malibu does not even sale them to dealers, only through warranty on an existing Power Wedge. The Power Wedge can only be installed correctly during production at the factory.

Ok then how did he do his???

There is a power wedge for sale and im really anxious on buying it just wanting to see how he did the conversion!!

Ok then how did he do his???

There is a power wedge for sale and im really anxious on buying it just wanting to see how he did the conversion!!

I believe he took it off of a salvaged boat. Do a search and you'll find the thread that explains his process.