Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Divider Support for for adding flyhigh 750's. (Engine bay to storage divider) VLX

G-Wake

I've read every thread I can find on installing/replacing the hard tanks with flyhigh 750 lb sacs in the 05+ VLX (I have an 06), but have not heard of any ideas to reattach and or reinforce the engine divider.

I have removed the hard tanks (under a mock floor) and have everything plumbed. My only issue is how to attach and reinforce the engine dividers.

There are 2 issues.

1) The rails that the bottom of the divider attached to were on the mock floor that is removed.

2) It looks very tight in there and I don't want the sacs to get pushed into the engine or have the divider bowing severely.

Possible solutions I have thought of thus far:

1) I could screw these rails directly into the boat, but I would still have to modify the wing nut/lock locations that hold the top of the divider in place (w/o the floor they don’t engage to hold the divider, because the divider will sit lower without the floor).

2a) I could fabricate a divider from some polymer (all polymer sheets I have seen are quite pricey, so this is not my favorite option).

2b) Screwing the dividers into composite 2x4's (composite because it wont warp) and having the 2x4's run from the floor to the seat cushion.

Option 2b is my first choice right now because it would be cheap and solve both of my problems. It would add support and eliminate my need to reattach the rail. Under the floor there is a frame around the engine. A 2x4 could sit flush on the outside of that and then sit flush with the bar that is on top of the engine bay (bar that provides cushion support/rigidity/divider attaches to it).

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks!

Edited by G-Wake

I've thought about buying 2 foot sections of the square aluminum tubing from Home Depot and riveting that to the divider.

That said, I've stacked two 400lb sacks on top of each other in the rear locker on a regular basis with no issues seen. I would think that's worse than one 750 lb sack. So, reinforcement may not be necessary.

EDIT: I mean, rivet the tubing to the engine side of the divider. Don't want any excessive sharp edges on the sack side.

Edited by sunscapeJeff

I have never heard of anyone removing the built in tanks - only the 04 and older stock tanks that were above the floor.

We put a 750 sack in without removing tanks on VLX, LSV, and 247's without issue. Put them back in!

I've been running a 750 lb fat sac in the rear hatch of my '05 VLX without any added support and haven't had problems. I also ride with another crew member that has an '04 vlx with the rear tanks removed and he runs a 750 back there without any issues.

I've thought about buying 2 foot sections of the square aluminum tubing from Home Depot and riveting that to the divider.

That said, I've stacked two 400lb sacks on top of each other in the rear locker on a regular basis with no issues seen. I would think that's worse than one 750 lb sack. So, reinforcement may not be necessary.

EDIT: I mean, rivet the tubing to the engine side of the divider. Don't want any excessive sharp edges on the sack side.

I've put the 750's in my rear. Yes it bows, but it's held without an issue. And mine are above the floor. I don't have any weight below, it's all pushing against the dividers.

I have never heard of anyone removing the built in tanks - only the 04 and older stock tanks that were above the floor.

We put a 750 sack in without removing tanks on VLX, LSV, and 247's without issue. Put them back in!

Serious. You should just do that.

I was originally going for what I thought to be the easiest option (just plumbing sacs in place of the tank). I am a little concerned with having 750 lbs on top of the hard tanks all the time.

But I might have to revisit the idea of keeping the hard tanks. I'll have to research how to automate this. I'm assuming I could use the overflow line to fill the sack and then T-off the drain pump.

I've read about people replacing the hard tanks in LSV's, do they not have the same problem with the divider?

I was originally going for what I thought to be the easiest option (just plumbing sacs in place of the tank). I am a little concerned with having 750 lbs on top of the hard tanks all the time.

But I might have to revisit the idea of keeping the hard tanks. I'll have to research how to automate this. I'm assuming I could use the overflow line to fill the sack and then T-off the drain pump.

I've read about people replacing the hard tanks in LSV's, do they not have the same problem with the divider?

Why tee-off the drain pump? Just run the overflow from the hard tank into the fill port (the bottom port) of the 750, then run the overflow from the 750 to the overflow thru-hull. Then, when you drain the hard tank, gravity will feed water from the 750 into the hard tank. Also, the hard tank would always be full in this case, which would help reinforce the walls of the hard tank. There might be a reason why this wouldn't work, because people aren't doing that currently, but it seems logical to me.

Why tee-off the drain pump? Just run the overflow from the hard tank into the fill port (the bottom port) of the 750, then run the overflow from the 750 to the overflow thru-hull. Then, when you drain the hard tank, gravity will feed water from the 750 into the hard tank. Also, the hard tank would always be full in this case, which would help reinforce the walls of the hard tank. There might be a reason why this wouldn't work, because people aren't doing that currently, but it seems logical to me.

I have seen it done this way and it worked good. I plan on doing the same on both rear compartments of my 06 VLX. Anyone have pros and cons to this setup?

The only problems I remember seeing is that the 750 above the underfloor tank will force water back out the fill pump for the original tanks. Seems like they installed a ball valve between the 750 and the underfloor tank to hold the water in the 750.

I think when you heard about people replacing hard tanks, it was older than 05 when the tanks where not under the floor. I know alot of people that have been putting 750's on top of the floor tanks for a couple years. The debate we always have is whether or not it is necessary to always make sure the built-in's are full first. I personally have drained the built-in's first so I could haul booty out of a storm and did not see an issue. However, I don't make a habit out of it.

I have also thought about doing what Jeff mentioned with piping from the overflow into the fill of the sack. However, I dont think that would be any faster than the setup we have now - filling the sacks seperate.