Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Transmission Help....

Some of you may remember my post a few weeks back about dropping a straw in the transmission fill hole when trying to extract the fluid. I still have not managed to get it out. Someone posted a reply to that message, stating that there was a "panel" on the bottom of the transmission sump that could be removed, which would give me access to a filter screen, and perhaps a different angle of getting the straw out.

I checked the situation out this morning; it seems my tranny is one cast piece (I don't see a removable panel on the bottom). In fact the only bolts I see on the bottom are those securing the tranny to the flywheel.

Any thoughts? Below is the info off of the tranny.

Also any thoughts on how much it might cost me to have the Malibu dealer pull the tranny, remove the debris and re-install (in case a miricle doesn't happen and I actually get it out myself)?

Model #: HSW 450 D

Ser#: 08 31918 G

:blush:

the shop vac didn't work eh. someone lost the straw down the intake manifold and the consensus was forget about it, it won't do any harm. How is a straw in the tranny any different. Will it not just get chewed up by the gears and who cares. (just in case though, is it still under warranty?)

Not under warranty....it's a 2000 LX. If the straw weren't constructed out of thick plastic, I'd run it, let it grind up, and change the tranny fluid agiain. My fear is, due to the thickness of the straw, that it would severly damage the transmission. Then again, I'm also afraid that taking it to the dealer and having the tranny removed and re-installed will severly damage my bank account.

There are small fluid ports that would not pass the bits of straw if you ran the motor with the straw in there, and fluid must pass through these ports with ball valves that are pressure sensitive. Besides planatary gears would more or less shread the straw instead if chopping it up.

Not under warranty....it's a 2000 LX. If the straw weren't constructed out of thick plastic, I'd run it, let it grind up, and change the tranny fluid agiain. My fear is, due to the thickness of the straw, that it would severly damage the transmission. Then again, I'm also afraid that taking it to the dealer and having the tranny removed and re-installed will severly damage my bank account.

So either way your bank account takes a hit, right? Guess you might as well run it & hope for the best.

And stock up on low interest credit cards while your hopin. Dontknow.gif

I would be willing to take a look at it sometime. I might have a tool that will work or "modified" to work. If you need help let me know after the new year doylestown isn't to far from Reading.

is it a straw like on a can of wd 40 or a clear tube like on a suction gun. seems as if it were big enough to pull fliud and long enoug that it would not fall far enough to lose. Just wondering I am a ford tech and I can't imagine useing something small enough to lose in the trans hole. Also I think the screen is in one of the fluid lines where they hook up at the trans at 45 degree elbows but i have a 97 response velvet drive yours may be totally different. I think I would pull all of the fluid out and turn the shaft or prop by hand and try to see it. second you may make a hook out of some small wire and contour it down and around the hard parts inside and try to rake it back up. the dip stick hole is pretty small on mine so I don't know how much you can do or see good luck I feel your pain as I have to deal with that kind of stuff daily

Oh You might find some with a vacuum brake fluid bleeder and stick the flexiable hose down in there and around, it may have enough suction to get it out just another thought

is it a straw like on a can of wd 40 or a clear tube like on a suction gun.

Bartman, the straw is basically and extension piece off of a manual fluid exractor (glorified turkey baster). The straw is about 4-5" in length and 3/8" in diameter. It's made of semi-hard plastic (not has hard as PVC, but harder than say vinyl tubing)

When it became disonnected from the fluid extractor's body it was pushed WAY down inside the transmission's sump. I'm pretty sure it slipped under where the driveshaft passes through the rear of the transmission and into the side of the sump opposite the dipstick hole (which explains why I cannot see and/or feel it.

ok then it is a big hose. well it has to be lodged under the geartrain. you pobably had it lodged when you pushed it in . so therfore maybe you can turn the shaft counter clockwise i think real slow and turn back up toward the hole. If that don't work try engageing the trans with the the throttle and see if any other part of the geartrain will turn. Do this by hand. you definately dont want to start the engine. also try turning from the engine side by the bolt on the front pulley and balancer' tha might turn a different part of the geartrain. otlher than that i am out of ideas for now