Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

The New Frameless Windshield

Malibusteve

Just wanted to throw this out there to see if anyone else is experiencing similar problems. I have the vented, frameless windshield on my 2007 VTX. At the 10 hour check up I had the dealer check out the windshield because on the starboard side, the polished stainless vent was loose (vent was separating from the glass) and also because it was sealed improperly on the port side corner (water was getting into the glove box). Anyway, they sealed the port side corner. As to the starboard corner that was coming apart, it appears as if there was an adhesive failure. Apparently the front glass is "glued" into the corner posts at the factory. My dealer contacted Malibu and replaced the whole windshield with no hassle which pleased me greatly. After picking the boat up, I returned home to wash it up and put it to bed for the winter. While cleaning it up, I realized that at the corner of the windshield (the corner that was coming apart) that I still had the same problem. Hmmm? A closer look revealed that the glass was again separating from the corner stainless vent.

As I thought about this over the weekend, I considered the possibility that perhaps the windshield hadn't been replaced after all. I revisited my dealer the next business day and spoke directly to the service guy. He verified that he had in fact replaced the windshield. He even showed me the box that the new windshield came out of. FYI, the windshield is shipped in one piece. He explained to me that the windshield is held to the deck of the boat by a footprint rail and get this...2 screws! Apparently, this adhesive problem was present when the windshield left the factory (the replacement windshield). Anyway, I'm to take the boat back to the dealer for them to check out again. Also, a final note. Part of the problem of the water getting into the glove box was due to the lack of a good seal, but to a lesser extent because the windshield is not angled or long enough to cover the lid of the box if that makes sense and the lack of a quality seal around the glove box lid allows water to enter that way.

My dealer told me that Malibu was going to be using this windshield on all of the 2008 model boats. So if you haven't had this problem, you may be in my shoes one day.

Anyway, I love my Malibu and would purchase again in a skinny minute, but I wanted to get this out there to see what kinds of comments or like experiences you guys may have on this. I'm indifferent as to the look of the windshield, but I do want it to function properly. I also realize that this was the first year of this offering and that bugs have to be worked out.

Thanks,

Malibusteve

Just wanted to throw this out there to see if anyone else is experiencing similar problems. I have the vented, frameless windshield on my 2007 VTX. At the 10 hour check up I had the dealer check out the windshield because on the starboard side, the polished stainless vent was loose (vent was separating from the glass) and also because it was sealed improperly on the port side corner (water was getting into the glove box). Anyway, they sealed the port side corner. As to the starboard corner that was coming apart, it appears as if there was an adhesive failure. Apparently the front glass is "glued" into the corner posts at the factory. My dealer contacted Malibu and replaced the whole windshield with no hassle which pleased me greatly. After picking the boat up, I returned home to wash it up and put it to bed for the winter. While cleaning it up, I realized that at the corner of the windshield (the corner that was coming apart) that I still had the same problem. Hmmm? A closer look revealed that the glass was again separating from the corner stainless vent.

As I thought about this over the weekend, I considered the possibility that perhaps the windshield hadn't been replaced after all. I revisited my dealer the next business day and spoke directly to the service guy. He verified that he had in fact replaced the windshield. He even showed me the box that the new windshield came out of. FYI, the windshield is shipped in one piece. He explained to me that the windshield is held to the deck of the boat by a footprint rail and get this...2 screws! Apparently, this adhesive problem was present when the windshield left the factory (the replacement windshield). Anyway, I'm to take the boat back to the dealer for them to check out again. Also, a final note. Part of the problem of the water getting into the glove box was due to the lack of a good seal, but to a lesser extent because the windshield is not angled or long enough to cover the lid of the box if that makes sense and the lack of a quality seal around the glove box lid allows water to enter that way.

My dealer told me that Malibu was going to be using this windshield on all of the 2008 model boats. So if you haven't had this problem, you may be in my shoes one day.

Anyway, I love my Malibu and would purchase again in a skinny minute, but I wanted to get this out there to see what kinds of comments or like experiences you guys may have on this. I'm indifferent as to the look of the windshield, but I do want it to function properly. I also realize that this was the first year of this offering and that bugs have to be worked out.

Thanks,

Malibusteve

I have a 2007 response lxi and have had no problems. I understand there were several different editions of the windshield to resolve the cracking problem. My boat was built in Feb-March 07 after all the problems were supposed to have been fixed. I personally like the look as it goes well with my chrome pylon and chrome tower, but definitely do not want leakage and separation issues.

I have seen all the problems you described, however the newer windshields (which you apparently have) have not had any problems (that I've seen).

Sounds like you just got unlucky and hopefully the 3rd windshield will be the charm!

-Chris

I have a VTX and my walk thru window had a 1/4-3/8" gap when I took delivery I had the dealer take care of it at the 10hr service. Other than that it seems to be OK. I personally would have loved to have the VLX windshield instead.

Thanks for the comments, guys. I'm hopeful that I just got unlucky with the 2 windshields I've gotten so far and as a previous responder said, "3rd time will be the charm."

My 07 RLXi came with the first generation windshield and the dealer changed it out to the latest generation before I picked up the boat. During the year I noticed the drivers side glass coming loose at the base (Bottom edge). I showed it to the service tech figuring he could glue it back or something. It looked simple to fix. He spoke to Malibu about it and they had him replace the whole windshield again. I was very impressed with how my dealer (THE EDGE) and Malibu stepped up to the plate to take care of the problem. I bought an early production boat and it had several small "detail" items (especially loose vent screens) that needed attention. I must say that The Edge and Malibu did their best to make everything right with no hassle. GOOD JOB! Clap.gifThumbup.gifRockon.gif

The seal on my 07 VTX leaks above the radio. I have not had any problems with water but when the wind blows the air passing through makes a farting sound. It is really annoying. Dealer says they need to put a new one in.

The seal on my 07 VTX leaks above the radio. I have not had any problems with water but when the wind blows the air passing through makes a farting sound. It is really annoying. Dealer says they need to put a new one in.

A new farting sound, or new seal? ROFL.gifROFL.gifROFL.gif

The former would be less labor-intensive. Just replace the driver's cushion with a Whoopie Cushion®.

edited for spelling accuracy :)

Edited by VinRLX

Hi All,

We have an 07 RLxi made in Australia in March this year with 63hrs on it. While washing the boat two weeks ago we discovered a problem with the walk through door in the screen, the glass was coming away from the frame Cry.gif . On closer inspection the glass is simply held to the frame by double sided tape and silastic. The unit was about to fall apart competely, so we removed and returned to the dealer who has sent it back to the factory. We are waiting on the outcome & fix. I like the functionality of the screen i.e. no screen fogging and hope we get this sorted. The rest of the screen seems fine and I am not sure if we have the lastest version of the screen in Australia.

Hope you all have a great Chistmas & New Year.

Cheers Ian J.

:)

• 4 months later...

Just wanted to update you folks with the latest on my windshield problem. My dealer did replace the windshield (it's the 3rd one on my boat). The third time seems to be the charm. Apparently Malibu has had some problems with some of these windshields and has made some changes. My dealer informed me that if this windshield didn't do the trick that the next step would be to replace it with a newer generation windshield (I'm guessing he means an '08 windshield). Malibu and the dealer suggested holding off on that just yet as apparently that would require a new dash? Anyway, I've had the boat out three times this year (since the final replacement) and all seems to be tight. Keep your fingers crossed and thanks for all of the comments.

I have an 08 VTX that I just got. My only complaint about the windshield is that the little latch that holds the walkthough part down, doesnt hold it down. There doesn't appear to be a way to adjust it easily, either. Anyone else have this issue?

I just went to my dealer yesterday and looked at my new 23lsv that came in and it seems that they have changed the vented windshields mid-run.... mine has square holes instead of round. Anyways I was pleasantly surprised, looks much better and hopefully it has fixed previous problems you speak of.boat.jpg

Edited by kentjina
  • 3 weeks later...
I just went to my dealer yesterday and looked at my new 23lsv that came in and it seems that they have changed the vented windshields mid-run.... mine has square holes instead of round. Anyways I was pleasantly surprised, looks much better and hopefully it has fixed previous problems you speak of.boat.jpg
Interesting! Definitely goes with the lines of the boat better than the circles.
yeah...my new 23LSV has the square vents too...it's the 09 windshield....
PICS!!!

Uh oh, Jack. You better call Peter and have him reserve one of his '09 spray dates before they're all gone... ;)

Jerry, you'd better get back in the game, old man. You're pulling up threads that are more than half a month old!!! ;) But I WOULD still like to see pics.

Jerry, you'd better get back in the game, old man. You're pulling up threads that are more than half a month old!!! ;) But I WOULD still like to see pics.

Well unlike you he can actually remember what happened a month ago....