Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Water in the ski locker- can't get it out

I have a 2007 Response LXI and have been getting quite a lot of water in the floor ski locker. So far, the dealer can't seem to find out where it is coming from. It is definitely not over the top, and I put anything wet in a large plastic tub. I told him maybe the shower has a leak. Anyway, after skiing, I raise the boat on a lift in my boathouse. I then have to get a wet dry vac and suck the water out. I can fill up a 3 gallon wet-dry vac several times before it is dry. I can't figure out why the bilge pump won't get this water out. There can be about 3 inches of water in the locker and the rear drain plug in the back of locker is open. When I accelerate the water flows out of the locker to somewhere. The dealer said the pump is between the locker and the motor, I guess under the small floor ice chest. If so, why is the pump not able to empty the ski locker? Of course, I really need to get the leak resolved, but in the meantime, it is a pain to keep emptying this thing. Anybody have this problem, or understand how the bilges are designed?

I have a 2005 RLXI and get water in my ski locker as well. If your prop shaft seal packing is not tight water will enter the bilge that way and then travel up to the ski locker under the in floor cooler. Check you shaft packing by lifting the cover plate in the rear of the boat behind to motor box. Have someone move forward slowly in gear while you watch the amount of water dripping from the shaft. If the water drips at a fairly consisten rate or is a steady stream, you need to tighten the packing nut.

The only time I've have any water in the front locker is from taking a wave over the bow or after a major rain. Do you get water in the ski locker if the drain plug is in place? You may want to unscrew the drain fitting and reseal it. Is the water hot or cold. If you have a heater the hoses do run through the locker. Showers nozzles do have a tendency to leak, but your truck should be soaked too. The bilge pump is mount right under the pylon and the water need to be about 3" high by the motor before the pump will automatically come on. Thats one of the things I've been meaning to try and change on my pump.

Edited by onamission

I'm happy to chime in here, because I have part of that problem.

My bilge beneath the engine is always DRY. But: I do get water in the ski locker (we want to use it as a place for food, and am frustrated I can't), but only when we have a lot of people and take in some water over the bow. However, once there, it does NOT drain back to the bilge like it should! (yes the drain plug is unscrewed and loose)

I have had my boat on the trailer, inclined on driveway with the bow high, put garden hose in ski locker, and do get SOME water to drain to the bilge, but not like it should! I have ran a coat hanger through the drain at the rear of the ski locker, even had the dealer check it (no conclusion there), but if the water level is 2" higher than the top of the drain plug, why won't it go out the locker-into the bilge so the pump can get it?

Reality is that on day trips it isn't too much a problem: I put a T-handled brass plug at the floor of the ski locker, so upon pulling the boat out, I pull that plug (usually NOT the one in the bilge--dry there). The hassle is the multi-day trip where the boat stays in the water. Solution so far is to use the mega-squirt guns, suck the water out and spray it overboard. Classy, eh?

The only time I've have any water in the front locker is from taking a wave over the bow or after a major rain. Do you get water in the ski locker if the drain plug is in place? You may want to unscrew the drain fitting and reseal it. Is the water hot or cold. If you have a heater the hoses do run through the locker. Showers nozzles do have a tendency to leak, but your truck should be soaked too. The bilge pump is mount right under the pylon and the water need to be about 3" high by the motor before the pump will automatically come on. Thats one of the things I've been meaning to try and change on my pump.

Plus1.gif

Assuming you trailer your boat and don't store it on a lift, when you pull the boat out, remove the T-handle drain plug and drive home with it out. As you accelerate, some of the water will move back to the bilge and out the drain. This will lesson the amount of water that you have to remove with a shop vac.

My bilge beneath the engine is always DRY. But: I do get water in the ski locker (we want to use it as a place for food, and am frustrated I can't), but only when we have a lot of people and take in some water over the bow. However, once there, it does NOT drain back to the bilge like it should! (yes the drain plug is unscrewed and loose)

I have had my boat on the trailer, inclined on driveway with the bow high, put garden hose in ski locker, and do get SOME water to drain to the bilge, but not like it should! I have ran a coat hanger through the drain at the rear of the ski locker, even had the dealer check it (no conclusion there), but if the water level is 2" higher than the top of the drain plug, why won't it go out the locker-into the bilge so the pump can get it?

Reality is that on day trips it isn't too much a problem: I put a T-handled brass plug at the floor of the ski locker, so upon pulling the boat out, I pull that plug (usually NOT the one in the bilge--dry there). The hassle is the multi-day trip where the boat stays in the water. Solution so far is to use the mega-squirt guns, suck the water out and spray it overboard. Classy, eh?

Like you said, the bilge beneath the engine is dry, and I have lots of water in the locker. Since I pull my boat up every day on a lift, I will check with the dealer about installing a T handle plug in the locker. Thanks!

Thanks, I will check this next week with the drain plug in place. Yes, the rear ski locker carpeting is soaked. That is why I suspected a shower leak, but the dealer said he did not find one. When I run the bilge pump manually, the water coming is is warm. I really am not sure of the water temp in the locker. This whole thing just started so I am going to experiment and document all the facts and then drop it off at the dealer again. Last time he said he found nothing wrong when he took it out, for an hour he said. That really makes no sense to me since it has happened to me the last 3 times I used the boat. Thanks for your input. I will have him check the seals and gorilla fins as mentioned earlier also.

You may want to take a quick look at your bow eye. In the past a couple of people have had an issue where it wasn't completely tight and water was getting in there. Of course, that was also on the original hull with the lower nose, so it probably isn't as likely in your case.

Mike

Thanks, I will check this next week with the drain plug in place. Yes, the rear ski locker carpeting is soaked. That is why I suspected a shower leak, but the dealer said he did not find one. When I run the bilge pump manually, the water coming is is warm. I really am not sure of the water temp in the locker. This whole thing just started so I am going to experiment and document all the facts and then drop it off at the dealer again. Last time he said he found nothing wrong when he took it out, for an hour he said. That really makes no sense to me since it has happened to me the last 3 times I used the boat. Thanks for your input. I will have him check the seals and gorilla fins as mentioned earlier also.

are you certain the showerhead is closed all the way? even if the shower is turned off (ie, pump's not running), you'll push water thru the showerhead while underway if it's not closed.

Plus1.gif I agree it won't come out I pulled the plug and raised the bow and it still won't drain. I am thinking of putting a hole in the bottom.

Plus1.gif I agree it won't come out I pulled the plug and raised the bow and it still won't drain. I am thinking of putting a hole in the bottom.

Bottom of the ski locker is the bottom of the boat. When the factor cuts the hole for the drain they don't make a clean hole, same thing for the one in the ice chest. If you pull the drain assembly out and clean up the back side things will drain better, not great but better.

usnacs, Is the storage area under the bow cushion wet too?

Bottom of the ski locker is the bottom of the boat. When the factor cuts the hole for the drain they don't make a clean hole, same thing for the one in the ice chest. If you pull the drain assembly out and clean up the back side things will drain better, not great but better.

No just the ski locker same as other post bilge not holding water. GEEEEEE if i drill a big hole in the bottom than it should drain is that what you are saying Tease2.gif:Doh:

No just the ski locker same as other post bilge not holding water. GEEEEEE if i drill a big hole in the bottom than it should drain is that what you are saying Tease2.gif:Doh:

Remove the water (Shop vac, sponge, towels.. whatever), and dry out the ski locker... then lower the boat into the water, and watch to see where the water comes from .. then you can start trouble shooting.

Seems like a good place to start

No the carpet under the bow cushions/storage is not wet. My boat is not here to go check it, but by memory, the ski locker and the ice chest both have plastic threaded screws at the rear of each that allow water to drain backwards. I leave the ski locker screw pulled out/open The ice chest is an enclosed plastic container, but the ski locker is the bottom of the boat. The ice chest never has water in it, but it is really above the bilge, plus I have the screw closed anyway so there is no way for it to get any water. I do not know what the drain assembly is? I do not remember anything to remove and/or clean?

No the carpet under the bow cushions/storage is not wet. My boat is not here to go check it, but by memory, the ski locker and the ice chest both have plastic threaded screws at the rear of each that allow water to drain backwards. I leave the ski locker screw pulled out/open The ice chest is an enclosed plastic container, but the ski locker is the bottom of the boat. The ice chest never has water in it, but it is really above the bilge, plus I have the screw closed anyway so there is no way for it to get any water. I do not know what the drain assembly is? I do not remember anything to remove and/or clean?

There was a lot of fiberglass debris behind the drain assemblies on my boat that need to be removed so the water would flow properly.

If the storage area is dry the water has to coming back into the ski locker form the bilge area,from one of the heater hoses if you have a heater or the hull has a crack in it.

Edited by onamission
I'm with Edwin on this one. I think the shower is not closed off.

OK, I just used the shower lately and thats when the problem started. There is a power switch that turns the shower on and off located in the rear ski locker. All I have been doing is turning this power switch off. I do not do anything with the showerhead itself. Since the boat is not here I can't check it, but it sounds like you are saying that I need to turn the shower head nozzle in an off position in addition to just turning the power switch off. Is this correct?

OK, I just used the shower lately and thats when the problem started. There is a power switch that turns the shower on and off located in the rear ski locker. All I have been doing is turning this power switch off. I do not do anything with the showerhead itself. Since the boat is not here I can't check it, but it sounds like you are saying that I need to turn the shower head nozzle in an off position in addition to just turning the power switch off. Is this correct?

that's your problem, you have to turn off the shower head as well. have someone sit in the back seat while underway with the shower head pointing overboard...open the showerhead valve (keep the shower pump turned off) you'll be amazed how much water gets gets pushed thru.

Like you said, the bilge beneath the engine is dry, and I have lots of water in the locker. Since I pull my boat up every day on a lift, I will check with the dealer about installing a T handle plug in the locker. Thanks!

The T-handle plug is an easy solution, you can buy them online too, but note the diameter is smaller than the one in the engine bilge. My dealer got me mine, it's much easier to remove than needing a wrench with the plug that came with the boat.

We still need more answers, however my boat won't be in the water for another 3 months before I can continue the search.

that's your problem, you have to turn off the shower head as well. have someone sit in the back seat while underway with the shower head pointing overboard...open the showerhead valve (keep the shower pump turned off) you'll be amazed how much water gets gets pushed thru.

I concur. The best solution is to pop the shower head off the end of the hose. The fitting at the end of the hose will not leak, but if the shower head is attached, it seems to leak a little (in the off position) or a LOT (if the shower head is set to an 'on' position). This is with the power switch OFF.

Of course, then the rear locker carpet is soaked, and the engine bilge collects the overflow.

This could then leak back into the ski locker if the drain plug were open, not sealed, or malfunctioning.

In this case, you know where the water is coming from

The other discussion in this thread is the water in the ski locker from unknown origin, with the engine bilge dry. That is as yet unsolved....

Edited by SKI LVR

The bilge is lined, yes? Not sure about the new RLXis, but used to be that there could be water UNDER the bilge liner, and that could be getting forward to the ski locker. In this case, you would not see water under the motor, BUT, bow down or from momentum, water would go forward.

Thoughts?

I concur. The best solution is to pop the shower head off the end of the hose. The fitting at the end of the hose will not leak, but if the shower head is attached, it seems to leak a little (in the off position) or a LOT (if the shower head is set to an 'on' position). This is with the power switch OFF.

Of course, then the rear locker carpet is soaked, and the engine bilge collects the overflow.

This could then leak back into the ski locker if the drain plug were open, not sealed, or malfunctioning.

In this case, you know where the water is coming from

The other discussion in this thread is the water in the ski locker from unknown origin, with the engine bilge dry. That is as yet unsolved....

Wow, I feel like an idiot. At least I know the dealer and I were both right. He found no water after an hour running the boat because the shower head must have been off. I use the shower, leave the shower head open, and fill the bilges with water. He must have thought I was crazy. I will check and see next time if it leaks a little with the showerhead turned off. If so, I guess you can just pull it off and pop it back on when using it. This seems like a poor design. Hopefully I won't have to do this. Thanks everyone for helping me figure this out. I was baffled.