Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tinted front windshield!!

68Slalom

I had mine done yesterday on my F150. They put 50% on it. It really looks darker than 50%, but it was rainy when I picked it up. I have several friend who has it on theirs and so far the LEO's haven't caught on yet. It's illegal to have it below the ASI line on the windshield in MO.

Edit: I was talking about my truck. I guess you were talking about your boat......Sorry.

Edited by Sunset_Bob

This has been tossed around a thousand times, so I'll toss in my experience.

I had the windshield on my '96 or '97 Flightcraft (which was black and gold) tinted. It was bad azz. I loved it. I was young and it had style.

The problem was that in a car or truck, the outside of the vehicle is ALWAYS brighter than the interior. This allows you to see out nicely, but most can't see in. When you're in an open boat, it's the same brightness on both sides of the windshield. This effective reduced the ability to see THROUGH the windsheild to almost nothing unless it was real cloudy day. (And definately no sunglasses) So, it was either look over the windshield, which I had to do, or not use the boat much.

I loved that boat, but I'll never tint a boat windshield again.

Peter. :)

from a looking cool standpoint, yes.

from a safety standpoint, no

Plus1.gif I personally don't like looking through a tinted window when driving a boat. My friend tinted the windows dark in his Supra. It really made it hard to see-Especially when the sun was going down towards the end of the day. I just have a good pair of sunglasses, and that is enough for me.

If you are a skier on a public lake like me one of the best times to ski is late in the evening. I want all the light I can get. Looking over is not good as you eat bugs at that time. My opinion is NO!!!!

In Michigan it is illegal to have any glasss in frount of the B pillar tinted other tha factory if you don't have a medical permit. I have seen the police make people scrape it off or have the vehicle towed.

This has been tossed around a thousand times, so I'll toss in my experience.

I had the windshield on my '96 or '97 Flightcraft (which was black and gold) tinted. It was bad azz. I loved it. I was young...

You were young in '96? Tease2.gif

Just kidding of course, and I agree with everything Peter said. It looks cool, but it definitely isn't very functional.

I tint boat windows and I don't have mine done. Very unsafe and I tell all my customers before it is done. I would say looks yes, functionality, no way.

why tint them. Its not like you are going to keep someone from looking in or keep the sun out so it would be cooler. And it doesn't look good either. It does look like a reason to get stopped by the marine police . I have been in some boats that had tinted glass and its like having cardboard up around you and seems like all the beauty through your perifual. vision is gone. don't know how to spell that. But anyway it is not like a car

'

OK you bunch of negative nancy's! I have mine tinted 35% and it not only looks great, but cuts down the glare off the water. I really seldom wakeboard in the dark. I spend my time at the lake in the daylight, and usually on sunny days. The tint has never seemed to inhibit my vision or safety. So there.

My brother has the windshield on his XTI tinted to 35% & it looks tough as he11. He hangs out on Shasta all the time these days & says that living there, he can handle the tinted windshield better than his days on Sammamish (Seattle area). Has to do with the air temps & low northern light being such that you want to be down low, protected from the wind & looking THRU the windshield rather than over it. I guess he doesn't mind looking over the windshield in Cali.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
OK you bunch of negative nancy's! I have mine tinted 35% and it not only looks great, but cuts down the glare off the water. I really seldom wakeboard in the dark. I spend my time at the lake in the daylight, and usually on sunny days. The tint has never seemed to inhibit my vision or safety. So there.

Easy Francis-These are just opinions!

I think it looks cool. maybe not limo dark but somewhere in the middle, shouldn't be any less safe than looking through sunglasses. Dontknow.gif I was going to have mine done but the clearance between my driver side speaker and windshield is so tight they wanted to remove the glass to guarantee a professional job. I didn't need it done that bad.

Thanks for all the replies, I didn't think about the safety standpoint of this whole project. I might just go with a mild tint now.......

Does anyone have any knowledge on different color tints besides black? I've seen yellow and blue tints but I'm not sure if they make any tints in red which would be closer to the color of the boat and I'm not sure if that would even be a consideration and what it would look like!!

Go for the 35% black. It'll look great on a red boat in my book!

And assuming you live in a warm part of the country where you don't need the windshied's protection as much as we do, you'll probably love it too.

post-821-1197845895_thumb.jpg

Go for the 35% black. It'll look great on a red boat in my book!

And assuming you live in a warm part of the country where you don't need the windshied's protection as much as we do, you'll probably love it too.

Nice boat Thumbup.gif

I had mine done in 20% and like the look and function. I get more shade since the bimini on the illusion doesn't really work well, imo. I will agree it took some getting used to early morning and late day, but no big deal. I am 50/50 if I do it to my next boat.

from a looking cool standpoint, yes.

from a safety standpoint, no

I almost bought a Crownline LPX, sweet boat, but it came with a tinted window and I was going to see if I could order it without tinting.

post-371-1197892020.gif