Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is there no standard trailer that malibu uses?

Malibusteve

I have a 2007 Malibu VTX with a tandem axle Boatmate trailer. I see from reading on this site, that alot of members here have Extreme trailers and I think I read that someone got a Trailmaster from their dealer. Are the trailer purchasing decisions made by the local dealers? Does malibu have a say in it? My trailer has a Malibu cutout on the side which leads me to believe that they would have to have Malibu's blessings to put that on there. Also, which trailer is thought to be the best? My Boatmate seems to be a might fine towing trailer. Does the extreme offer something that isn't obvious to me? Just curious

I have a 2007 Malibu VTX with a tandem axle Boatmate trailer. I see from reading on this site, that alot of members here have Extreme trailers and I think I read that someone got a Trailmaster from their dealer. Are the trailer purchasing decisions made by the local dealers? Does malibu have a say in it? My trailer has a Malibu cutout on the side which leads me to believe that they would have to have Malibu's blessings to put that on there. Also, which trailer is thought to be the best? My Boatmate seems to be a might fine towing trailer. Does the extreme offer something that isn't obvious to me? Just curious

Most boats out of Tennessee are on Boatmate. Extremes on the Merced boats.

It's more of a dealer thing. The dealer here buys the orders the boats without trailers and gives you a Ryan trailer, or an extreme at an upcharge.

Most boats out of Tennessee are on Boatmate. Extremes on the Merced boats.

I was told by Eddie @ Extreme they will be available out of TN in the near future.

Historically Extreme trailers (out of So Cal) have been available for order to west coast dealers at the time the boat is ordered, and BoatMate (from Tennessee) has been available for eastern dealers. Because of that, I would consider them both factory backed.

Other dealers will go direct with a trailer manufacturer, so you may see boats on other trailers here and there.

The BoatMate is a fantastic trailer though, so don't worry about it at all.

It's more of a dealer thing. The dealer here buys the orders the boats without trailers and gives you a Ryan trailer, or an extreme at an upcharge.

I thought the Extreme was a discount...

I had a Ryan Trailer with my 94 Echelon and I loved it... I only hope the boatmate that I have with the new boat is just as user friendly..

My Boatmate seems to be a might fine towing trailer. Does the extreme offer something that isn't obvious to me? Just curious

Your Boatmate is a great trailer...backed up by, in my opinion, some of the best customer service available for any product you could buy. I know, I've had cause to have some out of warranty work done on mine.

BM makes a great trailer. I've even toured their facility...good stuff. BM is located is Maryville I think, which is like 15 mons from Loudon, where 'bu is. The trailers get taken over there for placement under the new boats, but dealer has ordered seperately.

I ordered my 2003 LSV and it was built in TN and it came with a Michigan built Eagle trailer.

Plus1.gif Eagle for mine also and I think it is a nice trailer. It pulls very good.

Unless I have bad info I was told the extreme is an upcharge because it cost the dealership more for the trailer, not sure if it's because of shipping or what.

My 05 RLxi came from Tilly's marine in SoCal. It was on an Extreme trailer. I don't think there was an additional charge for the Extreme trailer versus another brand, but ICBW....

I ordered my 2003 LSV and it was built in TN and it came with a Michigan built Eagle trailer.

Plus1.gif Eagle for mine also and I think it is a nice trailer. It pulls very good.

Sixball,

The one thing that I question is how the safety chain in front is positioned. If ever needed it ... it looks like the boat is going to slip a foot or so off the trailer (backwards) before the chain kicks in. Of couse I've got it real taught (sp) right now and it's being held tight to the trailer, but where I hook the chain on the trailer it is behind the front eye of the boat - I think it should be the other way around.

Edited by jchooper
My 05 RLxi came from Tilly's marine in SoCal. It was on an Extreme trailer. I don't think there was an additional charge for the Extreme trailer versus another brand, but ICBW....

I'm talking about a specific dealer in Washington state.

Sixball,

The one thing that I question is how the safety chain in front is positioned. If ever needed it ... it looks like the boat is going to slip a foot or so off the trailer (backwards) before the chain kicks in. Of couse I've got it real taught (sp) right now and it's being held tight to the trailer, but where I hook the chain on the trailer it is behind the front eye of the boat - I think it should be the other way around.

Mine didn't have a safty chain. So I use a transom tie down strap. Ya I think the eye location could be more forward but with a folding tongue I don't have a good location.

Unless I have bad info I was told the extreme is an upcharge because it cost the dealership more for the trailer, not sure if it's because of shipping or what.

The Ryan is an upcharge from the Extreme. Heck, I think there were more options availlable on my Ryan trailer than there were on the boat. Biggrin.gif

I was at my dealer yesterday. He is using Eagle and he can have them made to suit both the boat and his needs and desire. Its a very well made trailer if you are around the Mich area.

The Ryan is an upcharge from the Extreme. Heck, I think there were more options availlable on my Ryan trailer than there were on the boat. Biggrin.gif

Really I've never seen an extreme trailer there, until I stopped by there the other day and saw a few new boats with the extreme trailers. Must have gotten some bad info.

Edited by 06vlx

Really I've never seen an extreme trailer there, until I stopped by there the other day and saw a few new boats with the extreme trailers. Must have gotten some bad info.

I have seen a few in the lot. When they get new hull design (like the 2007 VTX) they get the first ones on Extreme until Ryan can borrow the boat and fit the trailer. Of course, you can also order an Extreme. They pointed out a few features that were preferred over the Extreme. The supports between the rails are bent on an Extreme and catch water at the bottom of the v and tend to eventually rust, the diamond plate apparently to traps water and rust the steel fender underneath were two I recall.

We offer both Extreme and locally built Magnum Trailers.

The Extremes are good looking but are more expensive. Magnum custom manufactures trailers, so we can get custom colors, pinstripes, etc. Not to mention they are local when warranty or parts/service issues are concerned.