Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

picking up your new boat

Chia

It would be pretty convenient for me to pick my new boat up in Merced and take it to Havasu (for 5 weeks :) ) instead of having it shipped all the way to Edmonton Alberta Canada (1,705 miles) and then I am going to drag it all the way back to Havasu which is only 7 hours from Merced.

Just wondering if this has been done before??

thanks

It would be pretty convenient for me to pick my new boat up in Merced and take it to Havasu (for 5 weeks :) ) instead of having it shipped all the way to Edmonton Alberta Canada (1,705 miles) and then I am going to drag it all the way back to Havasu which is only 7 hours from Merced.

Just wondering if this has been done before??

thanks

I guess it all depends on when your able to pick it up, but I think that is what I would do Dontknow.gif Are you planning on keeping it at Havasu?

Will the factory do the "Make Ready" that your dealer normally does?

Should have read the title a little better, didn't read the factory part Dontknow.gif

IIRC you'll still be charged the freight cost. Not sure if boats destined for Canada come from the TN or CA factory. I could recommend several places better than Havasu, unless you're there for the wildlife, in that case carry on...lol

Will the factory do the "Make Ready" that your dealer normally does?

No, I would not get the dealer prep or the drop shipped racks and stuff.

IIRC you'll still be charged the freight cost. Not sure if boats destined for Canada come from the TN or CA factory. I could recommend several places better than Havasu, unless you're there for the wildlife, in that case carry on...lol

Boats in western canada come from Merced. We have friends in Havasu, so it becomes our destination of choice, but i am interested in hearing about places better than that. Water and tennis are important to me. The wildlife, not so much at my age, I am in bed by 10:00.

It is unclear if picking the boat up at the factory is even allowed, that is why I was wondering if anyone has done that.

I live 1:45 from the factory and they were going to charge me even if I picked it up at the factory. It's just another $500 that's built into the price of the boat.

I live 1:45 from the factory and they were going to charge me even if I picked it up at the factory. It's just another $500 that's built into the price of the boat.

so you could have picked it up at the factory?

It is not so much that i want to save shipping charges as I do not want to drag the boat 1700 miles down to havasu when i could pick it up at the factory and take it to havasu then home from there.

Don't know if its possible or not with Malibu but we have vehicles drop shipped from the factory to other dealers all over the country for customers. Those dealers do the PDI and delivery to the customer. It would work well if the boat could be shipped to a dealer near Havasu to do the prep. You may end up paying for it twice but as you said it will save you a long haul. Is it possible? No idea, check with your dealer as they would have to arrange it all.

You probably won't be able to make it happen. There is a lot of work that goes into getting a boat ready at the dealer, and that's not something that Malibu is going to want to deal with.

Would be nice, but not realistic.

You probably won't be able to make it happen. There is a lot of work that goes into getting a boat ready at the dealer, and that's not something that Malibu is going to want to deal with.

Then have the boat shipped to the local dealer (near Havasus), and pay them for the prep, and subtract the prep fees from the sale price at the original dealer. It is insane to suggest that the boat needs to get shipped 1700 miles, only to drag it back 1700 when it arrives, just so the original dealer can profit off the prep fees, when you are the customer. They should get a profit from the sale, and profit only from the prep if they do the work. Cancel the order if they can't make it happen--guess what--they'll make it happen, is my guess.

My brother picked his 04 XTI up from the Merced factory in April of 2004. His deal was a promo boat thru the western regional Malibu rep rather than any dealer. So I'm not sure who did the dealer prep.

Then last winter he had some upholstery problems that were warrantied at the factory. They completely reupholstered the entire boat & replaced the Metcraft tower with a Titan III..... at the factory.

So it is possible. But you have to know someone who can make it happen.

Then have the boat shipped to the local dealer (near Havasus), and pay them for the prep, and subtract the prep fees from the sale price at the original dealer. It is insane to suggest that the boat needs to get shipped 1700 miles, only to drag it back 1700 when it arrives, just so the original dealer can profit off the prep fees, when you are the customer. They should get a profit from the sale, and profit only from the prep if they do the work. Cancel the order if they can't make it happen--guess what--they'll make it happen, is my guess.

I don't think its quite that simple. I suspect that there are numerous things that need to happen, not the least of which is having a dealer on the other end who is agreeable to doing the prep work on a boat that he hasn't sold. They may not be too cooperative or want to look after their own customers first. I sincerely don't think the money to be made to prep the boat is a big deal to the local dealer, especially considering they will probably have 150 other boats to prep for customers who all want them in May.

Jason, compared to a couple years ago new boat preps are a piece of cake as long as the tower is mounted correctly (and they are getting pretty good at that too). No more mounting the swim platform, no more wedge mounting (for the most part), heck even the mirrors are clamp on for the new windshields.

Of course this is ignoring all the stereo, lights, etc, and assuming nothings wrong with the boat (which never happens)

But if your already driving the truck the 1700 miles, what's the big deal if the boat is behind you? Besides gas of course.

-Chris

Jason, compared to a couple years ago new boat preps are a piece of cake as long as the tower is mounted correctly (and they are getting pretty good at that too). No more mounting the swim platform, no more wedge mounting (for the most part), heck even the mirrors are clamp on for the new windshields.

Of course this is ignoring all the stereo, lights, etc, and assuming nothings wrong with the boat (which never happens)

But if your already driving the truck the 1700 miles, what's the big deal if the boat is behind you? Besides gas of course. -Chris

I pulled my last boat from Michigan to Lake Powell and back and it is brutal on the boat and trailer. Both end up full of dirt, stone chips, road tar, bugs, and possibly some road kill. Add to that the safety hazard of poorer handling and braking along with fuel costs. To me that IS a big deal!

heck even the mirrors are clamp on for the new windshields.

Not anymore. New mount is on left side of driver portion and swings up for use, down for covering. :)

The way it was explained to me is: The dealer buys the boat, NOT you. Malibu will not release a boat to the general public due to liability issues. (Insurance, Registration, etc...) It is up to the dealer to do the final prep, register it, and make sure you have insurance. I wanted to pick my '04 up from Merced and couldn't.

Pat

There are ways to do it. Just a matter of talking to the right people.

As for dealer prep, there is not a lot of work involved. It's really a matter of inserting knock sensors and attaching hoses.

As for dealer prep, there is not a lot of work involved. It's really a matter of inserting knock sensors and attaching hoses.

I disagree with that a little. In a perfect world that would be true, but I've rarely seen it.

Listen, I really hope the OP is able to make it happen, I've just seen a few requests for this, and it's never worked out. Definitely give it a try to see if you can make it happen though!

I disagree with that a little. In a perfect world that would be true, but I've rarely seen it.

I don't understand. What else do dealers do to prep? If you're insinuating that boats have probs on delivery, that occurs, but thats not dealer prep, those would be warranty items, and the factory can handle either, especially considering the boats are tested and then essentially "de-prepped" for transport.

It doesn't look like I will be able to pick it up at the factory. WLM said Malibu won't allow it.

Plan "B"

Even though it will look like I am from Saskatchewan :) , I think I will use plastic ties to attach 1/4" King Starboard to the bottom of the trailer for the drive down and take it off when I get there. The end of February is a bad time of year to tow a boat what with a winters worth (alliteration demo) of gravel on the roads, especially in the passes.

No offence to my mudhucking SK friends.

Good luck. They wouldn't let me do it. I was at the TN plan for a tour ... the boat was ready to ship but I was not allowed to take it. Only if you are a promo driver will they let you do it.

/Steve

It doesn't look like I will be able to pick it up at the factory. WLM said Malibu won't allow it.

Plan "B"

Even though it will look like I am from Saskatchewan :) , I think I will use plastic ties to attach 1/4" King Starboard to the bottom of the trailer for the drive down and take it off when I get there. The end of February is a bad time of year to tow a boat what with a winters worth (alliteration demo) of gravel on the roads, especially in the passes.

No offence to my mudhucking SK friends.

Consider purchasing Enkay Mud Flaps for the drive. Also, depending on what tower you have, you may want to consider installing some pipe insulation (purchased from local hardware store) around the tubes on the tower to prevent unwanted dings. I used zip ties to hold the insulation in place (be careful tightening the zip ties in cold weather...as they snap easily). I did both for my winter drive last Feb from Minnesota to CA and they worked well.

Oh, I also purchased a CoverCraft cover and the interior of the boat was spotless when i arrived.

Happy trails.

p.s. let us know the dates you will be in Havasu. Romi and I plan on taking a couple of winter trips to that area this winter. So maybe we can hook up at the Sand Bar and toss a few back.