Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Radio Remote

onamission

For those of you with your radio remote mounted under the dash, I would like to know if your keys and float get in the way of using it. I'm thinking of putting the PP gauge there if I upgrade to the new Star Gazer system, (see picture) and don't want to have the keys get in the way of using the buttons or seeing the display. I've tried holding a remote braket there and it looks like there would get in the way, but it's hard to tell without accually mount it.

Thanks Larry (onamission)

I have a '07 VTX, and the key (float) definitely gets in the way. I switched to a smaller float, and it is still dangling right in front of the most important button - the volume!

Larry, I have my pp display similar to that set up. I have a XM commander head unit just above the pp display. I like being able to keep the analog tach which I find to be invaluable especially when trying to gage how much holeshot I'm giving someone on a start. To be honest, I never looked down at the pp display after I've set it.

If you need any help with the display next Spring, I'll be MORE than happy to help Whistling.gif

Let me know how the stargazer goes. I will probably install one as well. The course that I use doesn't have any mags. I might donate the requisite 2 mags or see if I can get away with a hand timer.

Rob

For those of you with your radio remote mounted under the dash, I would like to know if your keys and float get in the way of using it. I'm thinking of putting the PP gauge there if I upgrade to the new Star Gazer system, (see picture) and don't want to have the keys get in the way of using the buttons or seeing the display. I've tried holding a remote braket there and it looks like there would get in the way, but it's hard to tell without accually mount it.

Thanks Larry (onamission)

I'm in the same situation as you are as I'm looking at getting star gazer in the spring. The floater is always in the way of the remote there now (which i never use). I would be very interested in hearing what options people have for mounting this thing!

Rob, Are you using a 5" or 3 1/2" gauge? Any pic's of your inset-up would be appreciated.

Mine is the same one in the pic, a 5" using the multi-line 6.5ng display. Unfortunately I keep my boat stored about 3.5 hours North and never took any photos of my handy work. The mounting bracket I used is the same one that came with the boat that the dealership used to install this 4.5" x2" head unit. The bracket was made out of what appeared to be 3/8" thick plastic covered by vinyl. I was able to mount the guage just underneath xm with a little room to spare. Cutting the hole shouldn't be too difficult if you have the right tools for the job.........which I didn't.

This is the head unit just above my pp guage. commander_1_lg.jpg

Taking the dimensions of the head unit into account, I would say that my pp display is about 3" lower than the one that you show in your picture.

Rob, Are you using a 5" or 3 1/2" gauge? Any pic's of your inset-up would be appreciated.

Mine is the same one in the pic, a 5" using the multi-line 6.5ng display. Unfortunately I keep my boat stored about 3.5 hours North and never took any photos of my handy work. The mounting bracket I used is the same one that came with the boat that the dealership used to install this 4.5" x2" head unit. The bracket was made out of what appeared to be 3/8" thick plastic covered by vinyl. I was able to mount the guage just underneath xm with a little room to spare. Cutting the hole shouldn't be too difficult if you have the right tools for the job.........which I didn't.

This is the head unit just above my pp guage. commander_1_lg.jpg

Taking the dimensions of the head unit into account, I would say that my pp display is about 3" lower than the one that you show in your picture.

Rob, Looks like mounting the remote dog leg lower the keys would not interfere with the PP gauge. The other option I have been thinking about is to mount the side panel that Malibu used to use back in 03 for the JBL radio remote and mount a bracket style multi line display on that so it would off to the side more.

Sounds like a plan.

The only time that the position of the display down low could be an issue is if the person that you are pulling wants a different speed. I don't know about the new stargazer but the current setup involves hitting a few buttons to change speed which takes your focus away from driving. Other than that, it's pretty much set it and forget it.