Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Add boat buddy system to Malibu trailer

wanttoski

It seems that the bow V-block is the key to the success or failure of the boat buddy. Now if malibu had a nice template for adding those components...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to my local welding shop and see if he can't fabricate the v block for my trailer to help with my boat buddy. I'll post pics when it complete.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm late to this discussion, but I've used the BB for the past 18 years. My buddies 2 MC's before I bought my first Bu, which came with one. My second Bu, that was the first thing that I upgraded. My 3rd, and current, Bu I ordered with the BB. I'll never have a boat without it.

I had one and removed it, wasn't working properly and quite honestly I wouldn't trust it.

Just curious what your feeling is based on. Ever hear of a problem with a BB where someone lost their boat off the trailer?

When I messed mine up, I called Kodiak about it & asked a few questions. Their not designed to be used to tow the boat at high speeds. Apparantly the pin tends to get bent when people do this. So all it's for is getting the boat up the ramp. Then your supposed to hook up your winch & safety cable & reset the BB, which is what I did for years on my MC with no problems.

I'm looking at the difference between the BB I & II. Looks like the I is recommended for 21' & under boats with 3/8" bow rings. And the BB II is used for 21' & over boats with 1/2" bow rings. So I assume these Malibus come with 3/8" bow rings, right?

The Kodiak site also says that the extended bow ring is so that you can get the BB locked & still have room to hook up your winch & safety cable.

Had gud luck w/ BB on my Mastercraft. Just ordered a new one (BBII) fer my 2000ssLXI. It has the 1/2 inch bow eye. BBI will not work properly with a 1/2 inch bow eye. Note when purchasing one for your rig. : Cry: wait'n on spring

I had Boat Buddy on my last 2 MC's as standard equipment, and when ordering my Malibu made sure the longer bow eye and boat buddy was installed (surprised it wasn't standard).

I love them. Quick on and off. I see how you could bend it at too fast speed, but if you can trailer your boat gently and skillfully there is nothing better. Our trailer is in the water for maybe 10 seconds as the boat slides on, clicks the boat buddy, then pulled out of the water. (Yes we do winch and safety straps, and even transom tie-downs before we drive off)

I wish EVERYONE ELSE at the ramps had Boat Buddys: would speed everything up!

Merry Christmas

• 3 weeks later...

I had one on my MC and loved it. Thinking about putting one on my 1998 response since I have the elongated trailer eye, but the trailer winch may be positioned too high and will have to be modified. For exact info on boat buddy price, install, Q&A, call DHL/DHM Trailer in Elk Grove (Sacramento), CA. (916) 688-7767. These guys are good.

• 4 months later...

Had a MC for last 10 years with a BB worked great. I even trailer it with the BB latch til I found out you should put the strap on. Never had a problem with it. You knew it latched because you could hear it click.

Bought a response LXI (my first malibu) and thinking about adding one to my trailer. Its a slick set up.

• 3 weeks later...
Without the BB usually you are standing in the water or working from in the boat to get the straps on with the boat still way down on the bunks. Then you start winding. With the boat is put on the trailer in seconds rather than minutes. The strap usage is really only a formality (not a work effort). People watching us load the boat who have never see a BB work are usually amazed at how fast the boat comes out of the water.

Why does the boat buddy make any difference to you whether you drive all of the way onto your trailer? We don't have one and it doesn't stop us, or anyone else I've seen drive on. Clicking the winch line on the bow eye, giving it a crank and clicking saftey line is like an extra 30 seconds. I know that a friends boat buddy didn't always buddy up. If its working and I suppose you get used to what a good solid "click" locked in sounds like it is pretty slick. Hate to have it not latch that one time though...

It's a huge difference. When you & your wife/ski buddy have the pickup dialed in, after enough times, we've the pickup down to 30 seconds or a minute, between other boats, while people stare.......

It really adds a sense of security. I loved it enough to want to add one to my 'bu.

Combined with the rear transom straps, & the breakaway tongue, it's the best damn trailer I've ever had.