Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Add boat buddy system to Malibu trailer

wanttoski

Has anyone modified their trailer to use the boat buddy system? This system is used by Mastercraft which allows for the boat to be powered onto the trailer and then automatically latch around the bow eye. I think this is such a great system, don't know why Malibu doesn't use it. Any thoughts on how to make this happen? I believe on the Mastercraft the bow eye extends a bit further to trigger the latching mechanism.

Yes,

You have to have the larger bow eye for it to latch in the boat buddy.

I had it, stock, on my D.H.M. trailer out of CA. but, removed it because I hated it.

I have it on mine. Love it but you have to make sure to ease it into the slot and not ram or jump it in as it is a sudden jolt on the eyelet. Sure makes life easy to get the boat out of the water (especially as I launch 3 or 4 times a week).

I've thought about adding it to my Extreme trailer too. After owning an MC for 7 yrs, the BB was a great feature that allowed me to power load the boat till it was latched without leaving the boat or truck driver's seat. My wife & I got good at loading so quickly that it always amazed people at the ramp. It's especially nice if your boat is a closed bow or you tend to have a ton of gear sitting in the bow area (like we do).

When I first bought the MC I smashed the original BB pretty good & it was wasted. Kodiak replaced it for free, even though it wasn't within warranty. And then I learned how to power load gently & loved the thing.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I also had it on our boatmate / supra combo and loved it when you go to the same ramp you always know where it goes. Most people have problems when they have the trailer too deep in the water and miss the eye.

The Extreme trailer that came with our 04 VLX had it. It was a trailer option and I think our dealer ordered most of the new boats with it. Nice feature as long as you didn't come in too fast.

It's an available option on most any trailer I know of. Only thing needed (as mentioned above) is the long bow eye. You can simply unbolt your roller, bolt on the boat buddy, and replace the short bow eye with the long one.

Peter

I installed a Boat Buddy on my trailer. The boat's original bow eye was long enough, but I had to adjust the jamb nuts so it would stick out of the hull further. My Boat Buddy is about 14 years old and has been on three different trailers.

I'm putting one on my 2000 SS LXI and just ordered it. I got the Boat buddy II which appeared to be a little more heacy duty. Like everyone else I had one on my 1990 MC prostar and loved it. (never had to get my feet wet) Clap.gif It look s like I'll have to install the longer bow eye but the boat buddy will mount to my existing bow roller bracket. Seems straight forward enough. The only thing I am worried about is my MC trailer had a good bow catcher that striaghtened it out and it hit the BB every time. My malibu doesn't have that... I figure I'll just have to go a little slower to make sure I hit it right. Anybody else had a problem with that. Boat Buddy's Rock!!

I had one and removed it, wasn't working properly and quite honestly I wouldn't trust it.

Just curious what your feeling is based on. Ever hear of a problem with a BB where someone lost their boat off the trailer?

When I messed mine up, I called Kodiak about it & asked a few questions. Their not designed to be used to tow the boat at high speeds. Apparantly the pin tends to get bent when people do this. So all it's for is getting the boat up the ramp. Then your supposed to hook up your winch & safety cable & reset the BB, which is what I did for years on my MC with no problems.

I'm looking at the difference between the BB I & II. Looks like the I is recommended for 21' & under boats with 3/8" bow rings. And the BB II is used for 21' & over boats with 1/2" bow rings. So I assume these Malibus come with 3/8" bow rings, right?

The Kodiak site also says that the extended bow ring is so that you can get the BB locked & still have room to hook up your winch & safety cable.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

had one didn't like it, because someone has to look to make sure it snaps into the catch on the boat buddy, so why not just latch the winch. Otherwise, I am not going to trust a 50k boat to a $100 latch that I think might hold it. Also, if you ever come in crooked and hit it, your out $100. If you like it use it, but I don't trust em.

I had one and removed it, wasn't working properly and quite honestly I wouldn't trust it.

Just curious what your feeling is based on. Ever hear of a problem with a BB where someone lost their boat off the trailer?

When I messed mine up, I called Kodiak about it & asked a few questions. Their not designed to be used to tow the boat at high speeds. Apparantly the pin tends to get bent when people do this. So all it's for is getting the boat up the ramp. Then your supposed to hook up your winch & safety cable & reset the BB, which is what I did for years on my MC with no problems.

I'm looking at the difference between the BB I & II. Looks like the I is recommended for 21' & under boats with 3/8" bow rings. And the BB II is used for 21' & over boats with 1/2" bow rings. So I assume these Malibus come with 3/8" bow rings, right?

The Kodiak site also says that the extended bow ring is so that you can get the BB locked & still have room to hook up your winch & safety cable.

My opinions are based upon using the product not just conjecture. The system just didn't perform as advertised, and even getting it replaced under warranty didn't help. After a couple of uses the pin wouldn't open or close all the way and at times not at all. So majority of the time I had to opening it manually. Additionally on both models the pin would bend just driving up to the top of the launch ramp, which is what the concept of the BB is (no I didn't transport the boat w/ just the BB either). So at that point it's lost any use for me, just hookup the regular strap. Our local dealer concurred there are issues w/ this product.

Could the product have been design to correct these issues, sure, just sharing my experiences. To be honest even if they it's what 30 sec longer to hookup a bow strap knowing my boat is secured is worth it. No I haven't heard a boat falling off due to a BB failure, given I have no confidence in this product I'm not willing to chance it either.

From past experience, if I am strapping down my boat "I" personally have to see with my own eyes that it's hooked up right. I have seen to many things happen at the dock and then hear, I've been boating for XX years and that has never happened to me before. I just wouldn't want to spoil a good day for an extra 10mins that I have to spend to make sure my boat is on right.

Using the BB I put the boat on the trailer, before the trailer is moved the strap is connected to the boat and put on tight enough to remove the weight from the pin on the BB and the Eye let. Only then is the boat removed from the water. Might not be so easy if you don't have an open bow. Seen far to many pictures of boats sitting on the dry part of the launch to move an inch on the ramp (going in or out) without the strap on. Only once the boat can float on its own do I remove the strap.

Using the BB I put the boat on the trailer, before the trailer is moved the strap is connected to the boat and put on tight enough to remove the weight from the pin on the BB and the Eye let. Only then is the boat removed from the water. Might not be so easy if you don't have an open bow. Seen far to many pictures of boats sitting on the dry part of the launch to move an inch on the ramp (going in or out) without the strap on. Only once the boat can float on its own do I remove the strap.

Then what's the point of the BB then? The concept was to load click and then up the launch ramp to clean/dry etc. If your going to those saftey lengths just use the strap seems to me would take the same amount of time.

Without the BB usually you are standing in the water or working from in the boat to get the straps on with the boat still way down on the bunks. Then you start winding. With the boat is put on the trailer in seconds rather than minutes. The strap usage is really only a formality (not a work effort). People watching us load the boat who have never see a BB work are usually amazed at how fast the boat comes out of the water.

I installed a Boat Buddy on my trailer. The boat's original bow eye was long enough, but I had to adjust the jamb nuts so it would stick out of the hull further. My Boat Buddy is about 14 years old and has been on three different trailers.

I too have had one on my boat trailer for 10 years now and it still works great. I had one on my mc trailer before it. You have to grease the latch once and a while but it's never let me down. And never scratched my boat with hundreds of launches behind it.

I had one on my trailer, came in the same speed I normally would, bent it, and put a nice gouge in the boat. Took it off and tossed it in the trash at the launch.

Good information from everyone. I think the key would be a good bow catcher like someone stated to ensure that the bow is always lined up to the boat buddy. I know that is how my brother's MC is set up and I am jealous on the easy of the trailering process. He also has a metal latch bar to hold the boat. I agree, don't ever trust a latch, ratchet or similar mechanism. Ensure the boat is secure with a hardened not mechanical piece.

When I had my MC, the boat buddy worked as advertised. The thing I hated was the black marks it left on the keel. When I replaced the shroud, I carpeted it and it improved this. But with an open bow, it wasn't that big of a deal to just walk up and connect the winch strap during the time I used a non marring bow roller in protest of the black marks. At this point my dorsey trailer for my new-to-me Nautique doesn't have a boat buddy and I probably won't be installing one.

Anyway, here's a few pictures and a diagram about modifying old MC trailers to remove the old bar-latch system and install a boat buddy. To the extent it might be helpful to some of you guys, her it is.

Link 1

Link 2

Edited by east tx skier
When I had my MC, the boat buddy worked as advertised. The thing I hated was the black marks it left on the keel. When I replaced the shroud, I carpeted it and it improved this. But with an open bow, it wasn't that big of a deal to just walk up and connect the winch strap during the time I used a non marring bow roller in protest of the black marks. At this point my dorsey trailer for my new-to-me Nautique doesn't have a boat buddy and I probably won't be installing one.

Anyway, here's a few pictures and a diagram about modifying old MC trailers to remove the old bar-latch system and install a boat buddy. To the extent it might be helpful to some of you guys, her it is.

Link 1

Link 2

Now, I hate to hijack, but I didn't know. How in the heck did the members on TMC (the other TMC) let you get away with buying a Nautank? Surprised.gif I mean, I know how good the wake is behind that boat (a member in our local ski club has a '98 & it's one of slider's very favorite boats to slalom behind), but are you even allowed on that site now? 'Fess up!

Wow, some serious feelings goin on about the Boat Buddy. It amazes me that some of you guys would even trust a winch. I've have two of those self destruct in my 20+ years of boat ownership & only had one BB get messed up (from my own actions).

Edited by Bill_AirJunky