Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

wake or diamond hull

aitkel

I am looking at a 2003 VlX and the dealer says it has a diamond hull. On the hull specs page it shows a wake hull, could someone tell me if there was a diamond hull option? I would also like to see a picture of each so I could tell the difference.

Diamond hull here. see at the lower back corner (white part) how the lines of the hull do not go straight to the edge of the boat but do a downturn near the edge? that is what makes it a diamond hull, that chine goes most of the way to the front of the boat and helps force air under the boat for more lift above 30mph. The wake hull does not have that chine.

I still haven't got his figured either, the hull page says my boat is a sv23 wake hull but mine has the same features as your picture shown cervelo. I does produce a rather large wake however big enough to through me off a ski if I come accross hard and a little wobbley.

I am looking at a 2003 VlX and the dealer says it has a diamond hull. On the hull specs page it shows a wake hull, could someone tell me if there was a diamond hull option? I would also like to see a picture of each so I could tell the difference.

Do you ski or wakeboard?

Do you ski or wakeboard?

Thats a loaded question. My wife skis, I do both, and so far the kids ski and kneeboard. I am sure they will wakeboard but they dont have a wakeboard that will fit them yet. our boat a 14.5 ft tri does not throw a wake even when extremely overloaded, so I think she would not be very happy with a wake hull. For me I dont care which hull.

I still haven't got his figured either, the hull page says my boat is a sv23 wake hull but mine has the same features as your picture shown cervelo. I does produce a rather large wake however big enough to through me off a ski if I come accross hard and a little wobbley.

this is a 98 ssvlx, as you can see it does not have the chine of the diamond hull (sorry about the crappy photo).

Edited by Cervelo

Do your wife a favor and get the diamond hull...it makes a big difference. My wife and I both ski and board and took out a wake hull for a test...the wake was much worse for skiing at high 20s/ low 30s than our old 18' I/O. On the other hand, our diamond hull VLX has a pretty nice ski wake above 30.

Be sure to ski behind both hulls & experience them for yourselves. I couldn't tell the difference in the diamond & wake hulls on the 21' XTI at 27 mph. Maybe it's more obvious at other speeds or hulls.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

My dealer orders ALL of his boats, VLX, VTX, LSV, etc...on Diamond Hulls now. Says the difference is so slight, that the AVERAGE person (unless back to back testing) won't know the difference and the ride is much improved in rough water and overall handling of the boat. Not to rehash the previous THREADS, but I spoke to my Malibu Rep. at great length about the Diamond versus Wake. You can pretty much achieve the same grade of wake on either hull (to the average Joe) just takes more weight to sink the Diamond. I bought a 2004 LSV on the Diamond and have never regretted it. It throws a MONSTER wake if loaded down and the surf wake is awesome...course I throw an ADDITIONAL 3000# or so of ballast on board. Thumbup.gif

Can't go wrong with either hull, IMHO...but for the activity and skill level you describe, you would be very happy on the Diamond Hull.

Hope this helps!

Thats a loaded question. My wife skis, I do both, and so far the kids ski and kneeboard. I am sure they will wakeboard but they dont have a wakeboard that will fit them yet. our boat a 14.5 ft tri does not throw a wake even when extremely overloaded, so I think she would not be very happy with a wake hull. For me I dont care which hull.
....just takes more weight to sink the Diamond

....if loaded down and the surf wake is awesome...course I throw an ADDITIONAL 3000# or so of ballast on board

Pay attention to these comments. Many people don't like to load their boats down with that much extra weight. I don't agree that the differences are subtle, but then again I'm not exactly the average Joe either. With that said, if you like to ski then you should get the Diamond Hull. Bill's advice is the best though, you need to demo both & decide what you & your wife like. That's really all that matters.

On the topic of Diamond Hulls for wakeboarding. I have no comment on the SV25 hulls as I've only ridden wake hulls, but on the SV23 hulls there is a good amount of difference.

Personally I might be concerned about taking a hit on the resale value of a diamond hull on a "hardcore" wakeboard boat... Dontknow.gif

Personally I might be concerned about taking a hit on the resale value of a diamond hull on a "hardcore" wakeboard boat... Dontknow.gif

I suspect that what you give up to the hardcore wakeboarding crowd you're going to get back on the family crossover crowd, so I think that it would probably be a wash on that count. JMO of course.

coming from the wakeboard crowd anyone half experienced will notice a major difference in the diamond vs wake hull for boarding and probably skiing. I can't believe a dealer would order all diamond hulls, I hope that they're telling the people that think they're getting a wakesetter that it's just a fakesetter.

You can get a good wake out of the diamond hull with lots of extra weight. Throw that same extra weight in the wake hull and you'll probably crap your pants at the difference!

• 2 weeks later...

They are both good!! I would go where the best deal is. Unless you plan on running the slalom course or plan on training for some wakeboard competition you really won't notice the difference. I just sold my Cut Diamond VTX and the slalom wake was great at 28 off and shorter. The wakeboard wake was able to give us more than we would ever need and the surf wake with the power wedge was flat out awsome!! The only difference I could see with the Wake hull is a little more of a "tournament" wake for wakeboarding and the slalom wake was a little higher yet there is no roostertail at 15 and 22 off which is actually better for "free sking"

Hope this helps!!

You'll notice even if you're not a comp. type wakeboarder. I've never "trained for a competition" my tricklist isn't huge. I have a couple of spins and a couple inverts and am working on a few more of each. If you're doing more than wake to wake, you're going to notice for sure! Even my wife, who only goes wake to wake can tell the difference in boat hulls/wakes.

Although possible, it's highly unlikely a 2003 VLX is on the Diamond hull. In reality, if it is on the Diamond it is a Sunscape 21 LSV with Progressive gelcoat and a tower and MLS system.

IMHO there is quite a bit of difference between the S23 and SV23 Diamond hull on the pre-'05 VLX. 2005-2008 there isn't much difference and I would probably get a boat with the Diamond hull regardless of how I was going to use it.

The new Cut hulls are more similar to the SV23 hull in that there is quite a bit of difference between Wake and Diamond hulls. With the newer hulls if you spend more than 70% of your time wakeboarding get the Wake hull, any less than that and the Diamond hull will probably be the best choice.

Although possible, it's highly unlikely a 2003 VLX is on the Diamond hull. In reality, if it is on the Diamond it is a Sunscape 21 LSV with Progressive gelcoat and a tower and MLS system.

IMHO there is quite a bit of difference between the S23 and SV23 Diamond hull on the pre-'05 VLX. 2005-2008 there isn't much difference and I would probably get a boat with the Diamond hull regardless of how I was going to use it.

The new Cut hulls are more similar to the SV23 hull in that there is quite a bit of difference between Wake and Diamond hulls. With the newer hulls if you spend more than 70% of your time wakeboarding get the Wake hull, any less than that and the Diamond hull will probably be the best choice.

and is one hull superior for surfing??

And are you saying you can actually ski behind one of these 21.5', 3600# boats anyway, whether diamond or wake hull?

At 10 MPH, the Diamond Hull is not going to be providing any "lift". I'm sure someone will claim there's a difference in "wave quality" but I would have trouble believing it.

And are you saying you can actually ski behind one of these 21.5', 3600# boats anyway, whether diamond or wake hull?

SacRiverRat has a 23' LSV on the Diamond Hull and at 34 MPH it looks completely skiable. I haven't done it personally but I would freeski it. Wouldn't want to run a tugboat that size down a course No.gif but for freeskiing...it'd be fine.

Edited by NorCaliBu

I agree with NorCal, I haven't seen much difference for surfing, especially on the newer Cut hull boats that have the Power Wedge.

What I'm saying is that there isn't as much difference between the two hulls on the current 21 footer. Whether or not you want to ski behind either of them is a decision I'll leave up to you. :) It's definitely doable though. I would expect the '09 models to have a much more pronounced difference, as we've seen on the 20 and 23 footers once they've gotten the Cut hulls.

For anyone still unsure about the two hull types (diamond and wake) on the older Malibu hulls, look here:

<a href="http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/360334.html" target="_blank">http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/message...921/360334.html</a>

FYI, there is a lot of wrong information that thread. Other than the pictures of Dizzy's two boats, I wouldn't pay much attention to anything else in there.

FYI, there is a lot of wrong information that thread. Other than the pictures of Dizzy's two boats, I wouldn't pay much attention to anything else in there.

The hull photos are correct, no?

I have the wake hull on my 23' XTI and ski behind it. It will beat you up a little, but it can be done. I say that coming from skiing behind a ski nautique and a response.

the pictures I posted, the first ones in that thread are accurate for '06 model and will give you a good idea what you are looking for/at.

white boat is diamond

black boat is wake

Yep, Dizzy's pics are right on, and apply to any 2005-2008 VLX (as well as some other models, but we'll just keep it simple). The general difference between the two pictures (down turned chine) is accurate for any V series hull (SV23, V25, V27, etc).