Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rearview mirror

dkthorn

Does anyone know where to get a bigger mirror for an '06 RLXi, perhaps 16" wide or so? I have the standard CIPA 14" mirror that came with the boat, but having a hard time seeing skiers in the turns. I've checked the CIPA website, but didn't see anyhting that caught my eye. I thought of putting a side mirror on the windshield, but would rather not.

Thanks

Cipa has a large mirror that is three piece. It has a solid center section and a section on each end that is adjustable.

It works great

Thumbup.gifThumbup.gifThumbup.gif

Cipa has a large mirror that is three piece. It has a solid center section and a section on each end that is adjustable.

It works great

Thanks hot rod,

I've seen that mirror, but haven't heard good things about it. you say it works greta though?

It works great

Plus1.gif I use the same, and it works great Thumbup.gif

We have the CIPA Extreme mirror on our Response and it has to be the best mirror I have ever used. The outside sections are independantly adjustable so you can get a fairly good view of both sides of the boat along with the middle. Ours is tower mounted, but I would think a windshield mount would get it closer to the driver, giving a wider viewing angle behind the boat. IMHO this is probably the best mirror out there.

It's called the CIPA Extreme mirror.

CIPA extreme excellent, even sold at COSTCO last year (for half what the dealer wanted)

If not good enough, two boats at our lake have two mirrors mounted on the windshield. That would do it.

Edited by SKI LVR

I don't care for the Cipa Extreme. The little side mirrors are so small their not worth a lot. So I setup dual mirrors on the windshield of my 205. The brackets are factory Calabria brackets. It was great for seeing the riders all across the wake, especially when we towed two at a time.

I'm in the process of setting up two mirrors on the vRide. Looking at the one piece tower brackets from diywake.com.

post-821-1195772771_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Curious why you don't want to run with the Cipa "Wing" mirror on the side.

I have a '98 RLX. I use the standard 7 X 14 CIPA mounted on the center windshield section, PLUS the wing mirror beside me. Yes, it's a pain adding everyday when I use the boat to tow folks.... and removing at night to install the cover.... and yes, I don't like how it scratches my windshield frame.... but, I LOVE the view.

I especially like the view when I've pulled around them after they fall.... and I'm setting up riders as they prepare to come out of the water for the next pull. Because the mirror is right next to my face, I get an excellent (large) view of the right-rear. Lets me tilt my big center mirror left to cover the center and left wake.

I bought a large second (7 X 14) Cipa mirror for the left side..... tried it for a while.....just too far away from my eyes to give me any noticeable added improvement.

I also tried mounting one large mirror ABOVE the windscreen just in front of the driver. Didn't like it..... obstructed my view OVER the windshield.

Nothing's perfect. I suppose I could add a tower (yuck.... you don't do that on a pure ski machine) and mount 4 ~ 5 mirrors.... but don't want to go there.

I wonder why they don't make one that's just a bit wider with more curve to it. I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

CIPA makes two mirrors with the adjustable wings--Ellipse and Extreme. I saw the Ellipse in a store one time, thought it was crap and completely dismissed it. Now I realize, however, that the Extreme is larger and may be worth more careful reflection. (Get it? Reflection?) Anyway, seems like even if you get the wings set perfectly that it still isn't as nice as one constant lense. Couldn't they more easily produce a single convex mirror the size of the Extreme?

I wonder why they don't make one that's just a bit wider with more curve to it. I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

CIPA makes two mirrors with the adjustable wings--Ellipse and Extreme. I saw the Ellipse in a store one time, thought it was crap and completely dismissed it. Now I realize, however, that the Extreme is larger and may be worth more careful reflection. (Get it? Reflection?) Anyway, seems like even if you get the wings set perfectly that it still isn't as nice as one constant lense. Couldn't they more easily produce a single convex mirror the size of the Extreme?

maybe

convex ski mirror

or

Overtons convex mirror

Edited by Cervelo

First one is tiny compared to standard ski mirror. Second one, I think, is the same mirror that comes standard with most boats, but labeled as a Gladiator.

I had two mirrors set up on my boat for awhile. The range of view was VERY nice, but adjusting them could be a PITA and the 'crossover' in the middle was kinda disconcerting.

The one time I've used this one, it bounced around way too much. Worked great till the boat got under way.

So the mirror is good, but the mounting system is crap? and is it the same one that comes standard with most ski boat only gladiator (i don't recall the standard cipa mirror being 180 degree convex).

Not sure where you're getting the 180° thing, but the dimensions and look of the Gladiator mirror are exactly those of the standard CIPA (just the mirror, not the mount).

That 12x18 would be like having eyes in the back of your head! Probably could see the fishermen flipping you off just as you drove past. :lol:

Actually, I'm not one to berate the fisherpeople too much, but last summer we had an interesting incident. After skiing, my wife left her ski on the platform (again) and off we went. Discovered it was missing ~30 minutes later and went back to search. We are obviously looking for something and have two different boats pull up and ask us, then join the search pattern. Finally we pull up to a fishing boat, that has been sitting in the same spot for an hour and a half, to ask if they've happened to see a ski. "Yup. Sure have." It was laying boots down across their seats. Ranting.gif And since they weren't overly eager to return it, I had to be a Jack-A$$ and ask which one of them wanted to try it first. :lol:

Not sure where you're getting the 180° thing, but the dimensions and look of the Gladiator mirror are exactly those of the standard CIPA (just the mirror, not the mount).

That 12x18 would be like having eyes in the back of your head! Probably could see the fishermen flipping you off just as you drove past. :lol:

Actually, I'm not one to berate the fisherpeople too much, but last summer we had an interesting incident. After skiing, my wife left her ski on the platform (again) and off we went. Discovered it was missing ~30 minutes later and went back to search. We are obviously looking for something and have two different boats pull up and ask us, then join the search pattern. Finally we pull up to a fishing boat, that has been sitting in the same spot for an hour and a half, to ask if they've happened to see a ski. "Yup. Sure have." It was laying boots down across their seats. Ranting.gif And since they weren't overly eager to return it, I had to be a Jack-A$$ and ask which one of them wanted to try it first. :lol:

you are right, the standard cipa appears to be the same mirror. the standard cipa is 170 degrees (and how did you make the degrees symbol) of view.

So the mirror is good, but the mounting system is crap? and is it the same one that comes standard with most ski boat only gladiator (i don't recall the standard cipa mirror being 180 degree convex).

You got it, Cervelo. The mirror is very much like a conventional Cipa. But the mount has two rubber balls on either end, which is where the bounce comes from.

Hey VinRLX, we've had issues with black skis sitting face down on the water before too. I hit one riding an AirChair & it dropped me like a rock. I never saw it till the last second. And then a friend of mine hit one with an I/O years ago. Both situations really made a mess of things. The ski owner actually came back & confronted the I/O owner & got really pissed off that his ski was damaged........ didn't really give a damn that the guy's boat was incapacitated too.

Yeah, that's definitely a negative for slaloming by dropping a ski. If I were the I/O owner I would have been ticked off, but ya do gotta watch the water. Had it been my ski I would have been more concerned about the guy who hit it. If we do have someone who drops, we do it when there isn't too much traffic and out of the pattern.

At any rate, in this particular situation, it wasn't one that we dropped and went back soon after. The CFO neglected to put it in the trunk after finishing her runs. :Doh: It must have rolled off the platform as soon as I headed for home. The fishermen who picked it up? Well, they were anchored while we were skiing, after we were skiing, and while we and other boats were looking. Never waved at us or gave any indication that they had it--we had to pull up to them to see it laying in their boat. Oh, and the bottom of her ski isn't black, it's lighter colored and has graphics on it.

Yeah, that's definitely a nega...blah, blah, blah,...and has graphics on it.

What's all that got to do with a convex mirror? Oh wait, I get it. You sit down in the drivers seat look up, see yourself in the mirror and think "Man, that guy is dumb looking. In fact, he looks dumb enough to drive off with a waterski still on the swimstep... :Doh:...the ski is still on the swimstep!"

:lol::lol: I slay me. :lol::lol:

I don't care for the Cipa Extreme. The little side mirrors are so small their not worth a lot. So I setup dual mirrors on the windshield of my 205. The brackets are factory Calabria brackets. It was great for seeing the riders all across the wake, especially when we towed two at a time.

I'm in the process of setting up two mirrors on the vRide. Looking at the one piece tower brackets from diywake.com.

I like the double mirror set up in the picture, but with all the responses from everyone it still bothers why CIPA or some other manufacturer just can't make a 16" mirror to take care of all our problems.

Thanks for the tips.........