Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

AGM Battery Charger

WaveMake'nLSV

So I am going to go pull both AGM batteries out of the Bu in the am. I have the latest/"greatest" DieHard AGM battery and a Kinetic AGM PowerCell. Have NO idea about charging them. I think that the normal battery charger and/or battery tender will NOT work or can be harmful.

For those with AGM batteries, how do you maintain and/or keep them charged in the off season?

TIA,

PS...I did use the search button, but came up empty.

Edited by WaveMake'nLSV
So I am going to go pull both AGM batteries out of the Bu in the am. I have the latest/"greatest" DieHard AGM battery and a Kinetic AGM PowerCell. Have NO idea about charging them. I think that the normal battery charger and/or battery tender will NOT work or can be harmful.

For those with AGM batteries, how do you maintain and/or keep them charged in the off season?

TIA,

I leave the batteries in the boat, attached, each on a standard float charger all winter. I've never understood the rationale for disconnecting them and bringing them in. It's better for them to be float-charging all the time. A regular charger should work fine for AGM batteries.

From what I have read online (so it HAS to be true ROFL.gif) is the critical step with charging AGM batteries is to keep the charging volts < 15 or so and the temperature COOL. I don't think it is OK to use an automotive type QUICK charge. So Big Mac may be correct...so long as it is a LOW volt, trickle style charger?

PS, I pull my batteries annually, b/c my boat is 75 miles away in a storage building and am always a bit uncomfortable with any long term electrical item plugged in. Although my neighbor in storage may well burn the place down, since many of my storage mates likely have trickle chargers going. Dontknow.gif

I recon my standard battery tender will work?

....a bit more research is needed.

TIA,

I leave the batteries in the boat, attached, each on a standard float charger all winter. I've never understood the rationale for disconnecting them and bringing them in. It's better for them to be float-charging all the time. A regular charger should work fine for AGM batteries.

A regular battery charger wil work, but for max batt. life an agm specific is recommended. I have a powermaster that works great, but I am sure there other/cheaper alternatives out there by now.

Edited by johnsvt

Yes...keeping the batteries in the boat on a charger requires that it can be plugged in all the time. I use a float charger hooked up 24/7 because I do have access to power. I also have a turbo heater thing that I leave plugged in to keep air circulating as a mold-prevention measure.

The chargers are those 1.5 amp Schumacher trickle float chargers. They do fine for AGM batteries - I use them on quads and motorcycles all winter as well.

http://store.schumachermart.com/se-1-12s.html

Edited by Big Mac

I use the small battery tender® on my AGM and dry cells in my boat,Boat shops RV and Motor cycle shops sell them . My large automotive charger has a selector on it for either standard or AGM type batteries. I guess it charges at a slower rate when AGM is selected.

If you have access to power in storage, which is the best charger to use?

Heh heh...that's a little like asking what the best oil to use is. People will respond, reporting that the unit they use is best, because, well, that's what they use and it hasn't blown up a battery yet.

The reality is that any of the 1-2 amp charger-maintainer's are all probably equivalent. I think the Battery Tender is probably pretty good, but also probably more expensive than necessary. Those little Schumacher's I use are available for as low as $18. I've been using them for years and haven't blown up a battery yet... ROFL.gif

Yeah, just don't forget...... (**Pistol Pete stirs "old wives tale" cauldron**).....Don't leave the batteries sitting on a concrete floor.

Interestingly...I put my little Shumacher 1.5 amp charger on my Kinetic Power Cell and it charged for about 20 min and then went to "TROUBLE". NEVER done that before with any of my motorcycles/atv batteries before.

:unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

PS...I have emailed Battery Tender and asked them specifically if their chargers are approved for use with AGM batteries.

The reality is that any of the 1-2 amp charger-maintainer's are all probably equivalent. I think the Battery Tender is probably pretty good, but also probably more expensive than necessary. Those little Schumacher's I use are available for as low as $18. I've been using them for years and haven't blown up a battery yet... ROFL.gif
Edited by WaveMake'nLSV
Interestingly...I put my little Shumacher 1.5 amp charger on my Kinetic Power Cell and it charged for about 20 min and then went to "TROUBLE". NEVER done that before with any of my motorcycles/atv batteries before.

:unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

PS...I have emailed Battery Tender and asked them specifically if their chargers are approved for use with AGM batteries.

Odd. Anyway, Battery Tender has been around since the beginning of the float-charger/maintainer days. I have no doubt they make a quality product. I don't think you could go wrong there. Battery Tender's selection page indicates that all of their chargers are suitable for AGM batteries.

http://batterytender.com/selection_guide.php

Edited by Big Mac