Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

winterization for idiots

My question is: Can a somewhat handy, yet below average intelligent man winterize his boat for the first time?

I have a '94 echelon with the 350 EFI motor. I was looking over the winterization guide for the monsoon and wondering how different they might be, plus the whole anti anti-freeze outlook threw me.

Does anyone know an extremely simple guide to follow, or should I become the dealer's b**** yet again?

Z

go for it....It's not that hard. Just be sure all water is drained from the engine block, hoses, heater (if you have one) and your half way home. Change the oil & filter, fog the engine with fogging oil and you have covered the main points. Also a good idea to change the tranny fluid too!

It's not that difficult but its cheap insurance to have it done by a pro. If you can, talk to the mechanics in your local shop and see if they will do it on the side and show you how to do it. Then you will be free.

Edited by CTSunsetter

Sure, just a few key points to remember when you do it.

1. Drain both sides of the block when you drain out the water. There is a drain plug basically under the exhaust on each side of the block as shown in any diagram that you need to drain.

2. Basically pull off every hose, particularly the ones down low and let out the water, the water flow diagram is the same for pretty much any small block GM engine.

3. Fill at least a couple of gallons of antifreeze from the upper hoses, this way you should mix in some antifreeze with any water you did not get.

4. If you have a heater or shower, make sure you drain those also, any low lying water will freeze if you don't drain or mix water with it

5. Fog the engine, you can do that from up top spraying down in to the carb and turning the engine over. Drain the oil after that task and also change the oil filter and next spring change the water separator located high on the right front of the engine.

• Like 1

Shouldn't be that different.

Buy this and you will have a wealth of information. Get a load of the good reviews. Whistling.gif

edit: BTW, I'm waaaaay below average intelligence but, I've been winterizing my boat for years. Thumbup.gif

Edited by Pistol Pete
Sure, just a few key points to remember when you do it.

1. Drain both sides of the block when you drain out the water. There is a drain plug basically under the exhaust on each side of the block as shown in any diagram that you need to drain.

2. Basically pull off every hose, particularly the ones down low and let out the water, the water flow diagram is the same for pretty much any small block GM engine.

3. Fill at least a couple of gallons of antifreeze from the upper hoses, this way you should mix in some antifreeze with any water you did not get.

4. If you have a heater or shower, make sure you drain those also, any low lying water will freeze if you don't drain or mix water with it

5. Fog the engine, you can do that from up top spraying down in to the carb and turning the engine over. Drain the oil after that task and also change the oil filter and next spring change the water separator located high on the right front of the engine.

Do you have to run the engine up to warm temp? Do I need fake a lake or something like that or can you throw a hose up the intake hose like they talk about in the monsoon manual?

Shouldn't be that different.

Buy this and you will have a wealth of information. Get a load of the good reviews. Whistling.gif

edit: BTW, I'm waaaaay below average intelligence but, I've been winterizing my boat for years. Thumbup.gif

Thanks, I've got a copy on it's way. I think I'll give it a shot today, and if I don't feel comfortable, run it to the dealer next week and let him clean up.

z

I am unable to download the "monsoon winterization" forum. I was just wondering if there was a web site I could visit or some other way I can access the manual.

Thanks A Lot

I would change the oil and fog before draining. You don't need a fake a lake to run the boat up to temp. Disconnect the water pick up hose from the through hull and insert a garden hose. Have someone turn it on while you crank up the bu. Make sure water is coming out the exhaust and wait for the temp to rise. Takes about 15 minutes from cold.

I would change the oil and fog before draining. You don't need a fake a lake to run the boat up to temp. Disconnect the water pick up hose from the through hull and insert a garden hose. Have someone turn it on while you crank up the bu. Make sure water is coming out the exhaust and wait for the temp to rise. Takes about 15 minutes from cold.

I ended up running to the lake and taking the kids out for a 20 minute joyride. The water was beautiful, darn cold, but beautiful. I'm almost glad I didn't have any ski buddies with or I would have been too tempted for one last frigid set. Anywho, after running it to temp, I was thinking it's easiest to fog it on the trailer while landing the boat, then draining everything and leaving the plugs/hoses off until I get home(so all the water sloshes out), where I then reconnect everything and throw some anti freeze in it.

I am more excited about winterizing myself not just for the $ savings, but to be able to operate on my own time frame. This should definately jump start my spring---unless my block is cracked.

Thanks to all for the help.

--dimwitted skier dude

malibuwaterdog' date='Nov 13 2007, 05:48 PM' post='207669

hey, malibuwaterdog, i checked out your Lake Lewiston photo's and was drawn to the picture with the big speakers in it. Are those wetsounds?

Edited by Cervelo
  • 1 month later...

Has anyone heard of an alternative winterization method of sucking up antifreeze into the system using a Fake-a-lake?

I'm not sure how you would recover the anti freeze solution, doesn't sound very enviromentally friendly. But someone I know claims to be using this method.

The Pink RV Antifreeze is nontoxic. You can pour it in a pail and then use a hose from the Fake-A-Lake to the pail and suck it up. At the end of the winter you can start it up and let antifreeze go. I usually try to recover it through the exhaust. I have a buddy that works at a mechanics shop and he dumps it for me.

Has anyone heard of an alternative winterization method of sucking up antifreeze into the system using a Fake-a-lake?

I'm not sure how you would recover the anti freeze solution, doesn't sound very enviromentally friendly. But someone I know claims to be using this method.