Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surf Board

WAKE-RIDER-01

Hey crew, I'm new to the site and a new Malibu owner, and so far I've been impressed. Me and my family have just got the boat and are looking into trying out surfing. I've heard about 2 or 3 different brands of boards, and I'm not sure which is the best one for my family. We are all beginners at the sport, and don't care what the price for the board is, we want a good starting board, and we can upgrade later when needed. Thanks for any input.

Joseph

Hey crew, I'm new to the site and a new Malibu owner, and so far I've been impressed. Me and my family have just got the boat and are looking into trying out surfing. I've heard about 2 or 3 different brands of boards, and I'm not sure which is the best one for my family. We are all beginners at the sport, and don't care what the price for the board is, we want a good starting board, and we can upgrade later when needed. Thanks for any input.

I don't know for sure but everyone has recommended the CWB "RIDE" to us when we ask about a good, all around board to start out with...

Ride%20top_0x400.jpg

CWB RIDE

Joseph

Joseph,

Welcome, I am jelious you have a new boat and are looking to go surfing and my boat is on the way to the shop to get winterized. I'll be counting down the days til Memorial Day. I have 3 kids aging from 11 - 21 and they really took to surfing this year. They were all talented wakeboarders, snowboarders, and skiers. We were not as concerned with the actual board as we were with the size. I would recommend that you look at a longer board that will have more float to get you out of the water and more surface to keep up with the wake while you are starting out. This will not only make it a little easier for you and your family to get up, but will help you get rid of the rope and surf the wake a little quicker. The size of the individual is a factor as well. I started my kids on a 5'11 Hyperlite Landlock (Old Mans Board). They were riding without the rope in a matter of hours and still have a ton of fun just cruising on it. For a faster more aggressive ride we have a 5'6" Broadcast.

The net-net is if you invest in a longer board to start I think it would be a little easier and you can always add a short board to your toy chest in the future. Regardless we have both and they get used on a regular basis.

Have fun after that first ride you will truly be "Stoked"...

-Mel

Hey wake rider congrats on the new boat. I know how you feel I just got mine last spring. Just like every one else i tried surfing and now im addicted.. Try inland surfers red tide or blue lake its a great ride and good for begginers thru intermediate. you will also want to start reserching ballast. You will quickly advance and you will want your wave to advance with you. hope this helps.

Joseph

Joseph,

Welcome, I am jelious you have a new boat and are looking to go surfing and my boat is on the way to the shop to get winterized. I'll be counting down the days til Memorial Day. I have 3 kids aging from 11 - 21 and they really took to surfing this year. They were all talented wakeboarders, snowboarders, and skiers. We were not as concerned with the actual board as we were with the size. I would recommend that you look at a longer board that will have more float to get you out of the water and more surface to keep up with the wake while you are starting out. This will not only make it a little easier for you and your family to get up, but will help you get rid of the rope and surf the wake a little quicker. The size of the individual is a factor as well. I started my kids on a 5'11 Hyperlite Landlock (Old Mans Board). They were riding without the rope in a matter of hours and still have a ton of fun just cruising on it. For a faster more aggressive ride we have a 5'6" Broadcast.

The net-net is if you invest in a longer board to start I think it would be a little easier and you can always add a short board to your toy chest in the future. Regardless we have both and they get used on a regular basis.

Have fun after that first ride you will truly be "Stoked"...

-Mel

I agree in going w/ a little longer board to "keep" you on top of the wake. Makes surfing much easier to start out with. Welcome.gif by the way and congrats on the new Bu Clap.gif

WAKERIDER-01, we have the Hyperlite Broadcast 5'6" and it's a good beginner board. Once you get better you'll want to upgrade. Make sure you pay attention to the weighting of your boat. If you don't have a good, clean, wave, you'll be nothing but frustrated on any board. If it's nothing but foam, you're not going to be able to surf it very easily. Basically, you want to weight your surf-side, and leave the other side un-weighted. As you get more into it, you'll tweak it some more, but that's the basic rule. So, I'd recommend you buy a surfboard, surf rope, an extra ballast bag (Fly High fat sac 400 lb, but 750 lb is better) and a ballast pump (Tsunami 1200). You'll be surfing in no time!