Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Whats the overall opinion on the LS1 engine?

dirtyinjun

I am new to the site and all the posts are great for researching my first boat (Malibu! Rockon.gif ). I have a few questions though that I am having a hard time finding the answers for. I am looking at an 01 Sunscape LSV with less than 200 hrs nice condition and it has the LS1. I tried looking things up about it and after looking thru about five pages I only found one post that had one guy saying it was good for going fast and another guy saying it was bad for wakeboarding. Whats the deal on this as I am interested in this boat but dont know about the engine? Is it really that bad of a motor compared to the monsoon or hammerhead? I think they said it generated the torque to late and the horsepower was more for skiing or going fast. I just was wondering what other people have heard and what their thoughts and/or opinions are? Dontknow.gif

I'd put it margionally below the hammerhead of 01. In fact, knowing some of the mechanical issues of the pre '05 hammerhead (or was it '06 that it was redesigned?) I'd say it is more desireable.

The Monsoon is ok, reliable, ample power etc.. I sure wouldn't turn away a boat with a LS1, it'd definitely be a step up from the Monsoon

I'd put it margionally below the hammerhead of 01. In fact, knowing some of the mechanical issues of the pre '05 hammerhead (or was it '06 that it was redesigned?) I'd say it is more desireable.

The Monsoon is ok, reliable, ample power etc.. I sure wouldn't turn away a boat with a LS1, it'd definitely be a step up from the Monsoon

'05 was the first year for the 383.

I am new to the site and all the posts are great for researching my first boat (Malibu! Rockon.gif ). I have a few questions though that I am having a hard time finding the answers for. I am looking at an 01 Sunscape LSV with less than 200 hrs nice condition and it has the LS1. I tried looking things up about it and after looking thru about five pages I only found one post that had one guy saying it was good for going fast and another guy saying it was bad for wakeboarding. Whats the deal on this as I am interested in this boat but dont know about the engine? Is it really that bad of a motor compared to the monsoon or hammerhead? I think they said it generated the torque to late and the horsepower was more for skiing or going fast. I just was wondering what other people have heard and what their thoughts and/or opinions are? Dontknow.gif

Having never owned an LS1 it is hard for me to tell exactly what it is best for. However, as w/ any engine, I would think you could tailor it for your needs w/ different props and so forth Thumbup.gif

I've never had one either so can't comment much. I think that the LS1 requires premium gas which is getting harder to find on some lakes and is $$.

Having never owned an LS1 it is hard for me to tell exactly what it is best for.

Barefooting Rockon.gif

I've been very pleased with the LS1 in my Lxi. That said, I foot about 75% of the time. The LS1 does idle much smoother than a HH. I was in an 07 Lxi w/ the HH this spring and I was surprised to find several items in the boat were becoming loose. I was told by the instructor that this was due to the rough idle of the HH (not an issue w/ the Monsoon). The LS1 is of lighter weight than a HH or Monsoon, which, may be an advantage or disadvantage depending on your needs. The thing I enjoy about it is that it really becomes powerful after about 30 mph...drop the throttle down and it will throw you back in the seat. Also know that the LS1 uses closed cooling, which, may or may not appeal to you. Winterization is a breeze, but it does add a snafu to installing a hot water shower. If you want to add a shower you can, but it will require an expensive heat exchanger and the water won't be as warm as with other engines.

Hope this helps.

I've never had one either so can't comment much. I think that the LS1 requires premium gas which is getting harder to find on some lakes and is $$.

Good point...92 octane minimum. I keep a bottle of octane booster handy incase I can't find the good gas.

I sure wouldn't turn away a boat with a LS1, it'd definitely be a step up from the Monsoon

Plus1.gif I don't think Malibu would have used that engine if it were a "sub-par" offering Dontknow.gif

I had a 2000 Escape/Sunscape with the LS-1. It was very fast boat and it ran well. I had some problems with the motor but they were not due to GM or Indmar. A high amp alternator had been installed and misaligned which in turn caused the bolts to shear, the belt to jump, and, overheat the motor. After several episodes of overheating, an exhaust manifold gasket let go causing water in the cylinders. It was all good after that.

The problem with the LS-1 is it does not like to lugged down therefore it is not a good wakeboard motor it is designed to run at a fairly high RPM compared to other boat motors it also develops its horsepower at a higher RPM then other motors. Even going through a long stretch of no wake would cause it to load up and idle ruff I was always going to neutral and giving it a few revs to clear it out. It takes Premium fuel if I remember correctly 93 was recommended. The motor went through plugs fairly often due to fouling from lugging (wakeboarding) and early in my ownership, they were darned expensive.

If you are primarily a wakeboarder or surfer with lots of weight in the boat , I would reconsider. If you are a casual wakeboarder, skier, barefooter, or pull the kids on a tube type person it will be fine.

Its also a very thirsty motor when wakeboarding.

Also, re-propping for wakeboarding did help tremendously.

In summary, for wakeboarding its like hooking a throughbred up to a plow.

Edited by LS-One

Yeah, fuel injection has been around way before the LS1 was.

As LS-One stated, a prop change will make it a whole different machine if all you do is wakeboard. Propping down will raise your engine rpms at wakeboarding speeds. It's just a matter of finding the right prop to put you in the place you want to be in the power band at 20 mph. Top end will suffer though. It's just like doing a rear gear swap in a car.

I think the LS1 was one of the smoothest, quietest, and nicest motors ever offered by Malibu. An LS-1 in a 02-04 SLXi is an excellent setup. Lighter weight, great mid-range power. I dare someone to find me a smoother and quieter 375hp inboard.

Fuel Injection was offered by Malibu in 1995 with a 265hp TBI, and then went to PFI in 1996. This is unrelated to a LS1.

Peter

I've got 425 problem-free hours on my LS1 in 5 seasons. I can second the positive comments re: light weight, smoothness, and power.

I think the engine gets a bad rap on torque. My '03 RLXi with the LS1 has a far better holeshot than my 99 Response with the 325 Monsoon did- and it's a bigger, heavier boat. Torque is not a problem; the boat holds speed in the course like a freight train- and recovers speed for the set-up better than any boat I've driven. And premium gas doesn't hurt so bad when people chip in...

In my experience, it's a reliable, solid motor. Maintenance is simple, the closed cooling is a plus. It may be a thoroughbred, but it's not at all fussy.

On a used boat, I wouldn't pay a premium for the LS1, though (or for a HH, for that matter). Other factors like hours, condition & equipment will matter more to your enjoyment over the long haul. Consider the LS1 to be a nice bonus if you can get it for the right price.