Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

tsunami 1200

sauer

Ok, I did a search and nothing really came up.

I was wondering If anyone found a solution to the tsunami 1200 oddball thread size. I am starting to gain info on my ballast project before I dig into it, and thinking about going with the 1200's. Are more people going with the 800 gph due to ease of application. Obviously I need the pump low to the floor and with the least ammunt of bends If most of you are running manifolds. I believe off hand the threads are 1 3/8''. I realize I have options (simmer, Rule) but, I would like to run the tsunami 1200 if I can plumb them low enough. I am starting with just one bag in the locker for now but am going to run all of the manifolds I need, and switches for future upgrading.

thanks in advance.

Edited by sauer

Sauer, I just plumbed in my ballast a few months ago. I used 1" brass thru-hulls for each of the rear pumps and the center ballast pump. I also used 1" ball-valves on the thru-hulls. I used the Rule 1100 gph pumps. They have 3/4" inputs, and 1" barbed outputs. I used a 1" to 3/4" adapter to go from the ball valve to the Rule pump. The Rule pumps are a little more compact than the Tsunami pumps, but the Tsunami may be a tad faster (1200 vs 1100). I used 1" tubing from the pumps to the sacs. No problems or complaints with the Rule pumps.

The Tsunami has a 1-1/8" pipe fitting, and I was unable to find anything to adapt from that to the 1" fitting. I've heard of people filing the threads down, but I was really hesitant to do that, as that might be a weak point in the plumbing, in a place where I don't want it!

I bought the three pumps through this guy, for $25 apiece, plus shipping:

Rule pumps

In case you haven't shopped around, the best place for the 3-way switches are the dealers. $18 apiece, and they plug right into the dash.

If you have any questions, I'd be glad to help.

Oh yeah ... I wouldn't recommend using manifolds or putting more than one pump on a thru-hull. It's just too complicated, and once you've drilled one hole, it's just as easy to just drill another one. Although it's a stressful job to drill into your baby, drilling the holes is not difficult at all. Just make sure you use 3M 5200 sealant when you put the thru-hulls in, and plumber's tape on all the fittings.

Thanks Jeff. That sounds like a good setup. I realized that most people I read about with airlock problems have some kind of manifold in there system. Im going to look at the Rule pumps for intake, and tsunami's for the exhaust off of my bags. I have one 420 Pro-X and two 750 Pro-X bags. What size bags you got, and how long does it take to fill them up withthe Rules? It sounds like you have to close the ball-valves after the bags fill. I also seen people use check valves from westmarine. Anyone with any experiance with the flow rates on these?

You guys are so helpfull. Thanks again.

Thanks Jeff. That sounds like a good setup. I realized that most people I read about with airlock problems have some kind of manifold in there system. Im going to look at the Rule pumps for intake, and tsunami's for the exhaust off of my bags. I have one 420 Pro-X and two 750 Pro-X bags. What size bags you got, and how long does it take to fill them up withthe Rules? It sounds like you have to close the ball-valves after the bags fill. I also seen people use check valves from westmarine. Anyone with any experiance with the flow rates on these?

You guys are so helpfull. Thanks again.

The reason I put the ball valves was for safety. If a pump breaks off or a tube busts, I want to be able to shut the flow off at the thru-hull, rather than sink the boat. I'd recommend it. I normally don't close the ball valves, although sometimes the sacs will autosiphon empty if I fill them too full, ie, the fill line stays full with water. I've got a 400 in each rear locker, and I stack another 400 on the surf side if we're surfing. In that case I close the ball valve so the sack on top doesn't empty the sack on the bottom.

For the empty pumps, I just used some 750 gph pumps screwed into the empty port of the sacks in the lockers. My reasoning is that I don't really care how fast they empty, cause that's normally on the trip back to the boat ramp.

I'll probably add check valves, but they're probably cheaper from Home Depot or Lowes (where I got the ball valves, BTW).

As far as how long it takes, it probably takes 3 or 4 minutes to fill the 400 lb sacks. Never really timed it, but I keep meaning to. Usually I'm filling a sack manually with a Tsunami somewhere else in the boat (like a tube sac in the front or on the seats), and the 400 lb sacks usually fill in about the same amount of time.

Edited by sunscapeJeff

Here's what I did: http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/message...921/341405.html

I disagree on having dedicated intakes. If everything is set up properly and you're using a scupper, you may get an airlock here and there, but all you have to do is get the boat up on plane to cure it. IMO the benefits of a manifold are much greater than the drawbacks.