Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New 'bu owner - very stoked!

kevink

After lurking the site and threads, it is time for a first post.

So we just made the move from years of i/o ownership to our first v-drive. After a bit of research, and reviewing some of the threads and comments on TheMalibuCrew - we went right for the best - Malibu. We bought a 2007 23 Sunscape LSV demo from a local dealer. Despite it being October in northern Indiana, we actually got spend a great weekend on the new boat two weeks ago when the temp hit a record 91.

As expected, what a difference in performance from our 24' deck boat with I/O. Also, this boat is obviously very well made – especially when compared to some other 'value' brands.

Sadly, the temps have turned more normal for October and it was time to winterize and store the new 'bu. Won't stop me from hitting the forum often for ideas on things to buy and ways to keep the 'bu clean. Of course, we are looking forward to a great spring and summer.

Thanks to the bu crew for being a good resource for our purchase decision.

The new boat: http://www.flickr.com/photos/69105266@N00/

Great looking boat! Where are you located? There are a number of us here from the Culver area. I just closed shop for the season last week...very sad.

Great choice and welcome to the 'bu team. I am surprised that you don't throw on a dry suit and use it this winter.......... i agree with not seeing any adult beverages in the cooler.

KevinK,

The water is not cold -- it is all a mental thing. Hope to put the Ez-slalom course in tomorrow and get some tries at getting all six balls. Where are you located? As Hack has said we have a good Malibu group at Lake Maxinkuckee in Culver, IN. Come visit.

Welcome to the Crew.

Tom

Edited by tyuhas

Ditto.

We'll still be playing this weekend. Air temp low 70's, water in mid-60's...full wetsuit and we're good to go. Unfortunately, we had to pull the boat off of the lift last weekend, but we'll still trailer it in at least this weekend.

Congrats on the new boat and Welcome to the Crew!

Welcome.gif to the crew and congrats on the new boat. Vary Kewlpics.gif but I did see one thing wrong. No beer in the cooler Tease.gif

What color is the lower pinstriping?

Thanks! Didn't want to be 'impaired' my first day driving the new bu. I was nervous enough. :(

The lower pinstriping is yellow.

Interesting enough, the cooler drain hose clamp wasn't tightened at the factory, so we had very damp carpeting in the rear hatch. :Doh: Spent the next day with a bissel suckin' it up.

Hey, just got a quick question. We also have just bought a new 'bu, an 07 V-Ride, and I'm just wonderin how much different it is driving a V-Drive compared to the I/O.

Night and day, like a dump truck to a sports car....until you put it into reverse!

Man, if that isn't the truth. The 'Bu handles like a performance sports car compared to the i/o. Turns on a dime - you can literally throw someone out of the boat with the high g turns you can execute! Acceleration is instantaneous. Think about going from 0-30MPH in about 5-6 seconds, an i/o would take at least twice that long. Also, much more torque at the prop which means that the pull on a skier is strong from the start.

Another great feature of the v-drive 'Bu is lack of bow rise. With an i/o, when you give it gas, the bow rises up until the thing comes on plane - doesn't happen in the 'Bu. Just sort of rises flat. Much easier to see over the windshield.

99Response is dead on, this all applies until you try to reverse, and then the thing will make you look like a total moron in the marina. You have very little steering control (ok, none) in reverse. With the i/o, you can point the outdrive in a direction and it will go there - the 'Bu laughs at your attempts to influence the reverse direction by turning the wheel! What's more, it doesn't even just back straight up, it slowly 'walks' to one side.

Okay, it is not quite that bad, but it is a little weird the first couple of times because it handles so awesome in forward, that you can't believe what happens in reverse. Practice in an open area to get a feel for what it does. Also, there are several references on the net that can give you pointers on backing an inboard. I found the tips to be helpful. Here is one http://www.boatinglife.com/article_content.jsp?ID=10910

Obviously, for water sports, you cannot beat an inboard (direct drive or v-drive). On the i/o, when a skier would aggressively cross the wake, you could feel the stern of the boat move around (and we had a big, heavy 24 foot deck boat). The 'Bu is rock solid.

Before we bought the Malibu, we were also considering a higher performance deck boat with a Merc Bravo 3 (counter-rotating propeller) outdrive with high hp engine. The test drive confirmed it, comparing the Malibu performance to the deck boat was like comparing a Corvette to a minivan.

Bottom line, I should have gone v-drive sooner!

KevinK,

The water is not cold -- it is all a mental thing. Hope to put the Ez-slalom course in tomorrow and get some tries at getting all six balls. Where are you located? As Hack has said we have a good Malibu group at Lake Maxinkuckee in Culver, IN. Come visit.

Welcome to the Crew.

Tom

Hi Tom, I hear ya. Usually keep the boat in the water until late October. As a matter of fact, we still have the old barge deck boat in the water. Just had to pull the 'Bu as the dealer is covering the winterization and storage this year as part of the purchase.

We are on Lake Tippy.

KevinK,

Welcome to the Crew.

Tom

Hi Tom, I hear ya. Usually keep the boat in the water until late October. As a matter of fact, we still have the old barge deck boat in the water. Just had to pull the 'Bu as the dealer is covering the winterization and storage this year as part of the purchase.

We are on Lake Tippy.

Hey, we are looking for the same boat. I have asked on this forum for some help and these people are great.

I was still somewhat confused as to what to buy but have decided on the Sunscape 23 VSL as well.." I think"..?

Have you skied behind this boat and what about wakeboarding..?

Could you Wakesurf..? Does yours have any ballast tank..?

Great looking boat and i am sure you will enjoy it.

Craig.... Rockon.gif

KevinK,

Welcome to the Crew.

Tom

We are on Lake Tippy.

That's a good enough reason for me! You're up in Bart's country. I still haven't been there, but would like to in the coming year. You're close enough to come to Lake Max if we do a mini-WoW next year, which we've been kind of kicking around. Again, congrats on the boat.

• 3 years later...

Welcome Kevink, I too have a 2007 23' Sunscape ....... Sad day for us in Wisconsin, putting her to bed !!

martinarcher

Beautiful Boat! Congrats and welcome to the world of inboard boats. Certainly a step up in performance from an I/O!

I bought my first Bu in September and learned what a short season is like. We pushed into early Nov, but a couple months isn't near enough with a new Bu!

Welcome and congrats on the bu. In calm water the boat will gradually turn to the right (starboard side) all day no matter what you do with the steering wheel. I wish this was common knowledge for everyone because it can make you look silly. Many times steering or moreso manuevering in reverse is initiated by going forward and creating moment of the transom in the desired direction. One of my favorite things to do is dock starboard side. Come in slow at 30-45 degrees, hit reverse, and suck the boat right up to the dock. Doesn't look like much to most people but inboard owners can appreciate it.

Welcome Kevink, I too have a 2007 23' Sunscape ....... Sad day for us in Wisconsin, putting her to bed !!

Why are you welcoming someone on a post they made 4 years ago?