Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surf Specific Boat

smedman

For your next boat, what seems most appealing?  

177 members have voted

1. 1. When thinking about your next dream boat what would you like?

• Wakesurf oriented
    • Wakeboard / Wakesurf oriented
    • Wakeboard / Ski crossover
    • Ski oriented

It seems like the number of wakesurfers continues to grow exponentially every year.

I'm wondering if you would buy a bu' (or other brand) of boat that is wakesurf oriented.

Or would you be more interested in a crossover wakesurf / wakeboard boat?

Or maybe you like the ski / wakeboard crossover...

Or just ski specific?

Surfing is big in dallas. A perfect boat would be a 'bu that, with a push of a button weighted the boat goofy or reg. This would produce a 3-4 foot perfect wave. I have a xti and would like to eliminate the use of sacks.

I have a feeling that they could design the hull for better surf-wake characteristics. One that wouldn't require as much weight on one side like we have to do. I've gotten used to it, but it still isn't the safest way to drive a boat. The Centurion Enzo supposedly throws the best surf wake around, but I get the feeling that it's just due to the ways that they hide the water ballast, not necessarily with some revolutionary hull design.

I'd be interested in seeing a wakesurf/wakeboard crossover boat.

The other factor is prop rotation so I'm told. I'm goofy foot and can have a great wake on the drivers side with weight. Move all the weight over for regular riders and the wake is not so great. I'm told it is direction of prop rotation. So Malibu is fine for me being goofy foot. But I've heard there are other boats out there that are better for regular. I don't see this being something switchable on the fly though. And I doubt there would be enough of a market for a RH rotation Bu just for surfing purposes.

The other factor is prop rotation so I'm told. I'm goofy foot and can have a great wake on the drivers side with weight. Move all the weight over for regular riders and the wake is not so great. I'm told it is direction of prop rotation. So Malibu is fine for me being goofy foot. But I've heard there are other boats out there that are better for regular. I don't see this being something switchable on the fly though. And I doubt there would be enough of a market for a RH rotation Bu just for surfing purposes.

I heard that a guy can onder an Enzo either rotation. Don't know if thats true though.

In order to achieve an optimum surf wake, the boat is usually loaded to unsafe weight levels on one side. Unless Malibu comes up with some wedge like unit that creates a pristine surf wake without the actual wieght, I wouldn't hold my breath on them manufacturing a boat that can be weighted in an unsafe manner.

Its OK to dream though, or better yet, invent your own wake enhancement and become very rich. Biggrin.gif

Edited by LS-One
Just put on a RH prop, and drive with the boat in reverse Yes.gif

Haha, do you think there's enough throttle in reverse to even get 10mph? Don't forget to tell the new owner when you sell. It'll make getting off of the trailer a beyotch.

We surfed a '01 SSVLX last weekend. Didn't have a problem surfing regular at all with three sacs in it and three people. We had a 550 in the locker, a 400 on the side seat and a 350 in the bow with the wedge down. With more weight it would have just gotten better. It was plenty big and long. It wasn't the same as my 23LSV but I put a lot more weight in mine.

How are you weighting your's? I haven't heard anyone else saying they couldn't build a wake on the regular side.

Just put on a RH prop, and drive with the boat in reverse Yes.gif

Haha, do you think there's enough throttle in reverse to even get 10mph? Don't forget to tell the new owner when you sell. It'll make getting off of the trailer a beyotch.

My uncle's old Bayliner had the wrong rotation prop on it. It actually worked, but having forward=reverse and vice versa would not be a good thing in an emergency situation.

What makes a boat wakesurf oriented.. what about the current wakesetter line doesn't make them wakesurf/wakeboard centric? Dontknow.gif

I think the wakesetter line does great, but for a surf specific boat Malibu could do a few things to potentially improve for a surf specific application:

- a better exhaust system to reduce emissions in the surf zone and back of the boat a'la Fresh Air Exhaust (FAE doesn't work with wedge so would need to be different/wedge compatible)

- as sunscape jeff mentioned - i think the hull could probably be configured differently so that it would put out more wake with less ballast and less need to lean the boat so much. from what i heard, the enzo puts out a huge wake with just stock ballast. I believe it is a 30" draft rather than 27" on the 247 lsv. not sure it makes a huge difference, but if we are talking 3inches more of water displacement multiplied by the length of the rail in the water - seems like it would have a decent effect. (wasn't really good at geometry and physics - so just making a guess)

- as vette-ski mentioned - a choice on prop rotation would be good -- many folks on the wakeworld wakesurfing thread ask about which boats offer a choice on prop rotation, so seems there is a market for it.

- as waterdog mentioned - fill the ballast with a flip of a button - many have modified their tanks / sacs to take more than stock ballast, but perhaps 'bu could offer the option of surf sacs instead of stock tanks? i know the Epic offers 4,000 lb stock ballast system, so they've probably figured out a way to make it reasonably safe/seaworthy. (yet i've surfed it and didn't like it -- but prob due to hull design more than anything)

- another great option would be 1200gph pumps and 1inch tubing installed from factory for faster fill up.

if anyone has any other ideas on what would make a good wakesurf specific boat - please add them to the thread

We surfed a '01 SSVLX last weekend. Didn't have a problem surfing regular at all with three sacs in it and three people. We had a 550 in the locker, a 400 on the side seat and a 350 in the bow with the wedge down. With more weight it would have just gotten better. It was plenty big and long. It wasn't the same as my 23LSV but I put a lot more weight in mine.

How are you weighting your's? I haven't heard anyone else saying they couldn't build a wake on the regular side.

Well, so far my "weighting" is whoever I can find to come with me. So it's pretty easy to switch from goofy to regular...just tell everyone to move to the other side of the boat. I do run wedge down. I've got some sacs on the way to me as I type, however it will be next season before I get to use them. I have the 400 lb v-drive set on the brown truck. My plan for boarding is to use those in the lockers and something yet tbd for the bow. I'm thinking the 375 pounder for the ski locker or in the floor aisle-way of the bow. The integrated bow sac looks too big for my area, and I don't want to loose seating with the big pillow sac that goes on top of the cushions. Then for surfing I'd drain the one 400 pounder and put it on whichever side I need for surfing and re-fill....behind the driver's seat for goofy, on the spotter's seat for regular.

Edit: anyway, I guess the point I was trying to make is when we were out last, I had the same number of people on the goofy side as regular for weight and in the same positions. Had a nice goofy wave, and a very washed out regular wave. The only difference in side-to-side weight would be the driver (although I did sit in the spotter's seat as much as I could and reach over to steer) and an extra battery goofy side. So it shouldn't have been much different if the only variable was weight, but there was a noticible difference. So much so that all the regular riders went to the goofy side. That's just what we saw anyway.

Edited by vette-ski

Well, so far my "weighting" is whoever I can find to come with me. So it's pretty easy to switch from goofy to regular...just tell everyone to move to the other side of the boat. I do run wedge down. I've got some sacs on the way to me as I type, however it will be next season before I get to use them. I have the 400 lb v-drive set on the brown truck. My plan for boarding is to use those in the lockers and something yet tbd for the bow. I'm thinking the 375 pounder for the ski locker or in the floor aisle-way of the bow. The integrated bow sac looks too big for my area, and I don't want to loose seating with the big pillow sac that goes on top of the cushions. Then for surfing I'd drain the one 400 pounder and put it on whichever side I need for surfing and re-fill....behind the driver's seat for goofy, on the spotter's seat for regular.

Edit: anyway, I guess the point I was trying to make is when we were out last, I had the same number of people on the goofy side as regular for weight and in the same positions. Had a nice goofy wave, and a very washed out regular wave. The only difference in side-to-side weight would be the driver (although I did sit in the spotter's seat as much as I could and reach over to steer) and an extra battery goofy side. So it shouldn't have been much different if the only variable was weight, but there was a noticible difference. So much so that all the regular riders went to the goofy side. That's just what we saw anyway.

Yep, you need some weight in the boat. You'll find that after a few times out it won't be that much of a hassle to fill & empty the bags. Just part of getting ready. Fly High makes a bag that will fit in your ski locker.

I set up our SSVLX similar to what Ronnie mentioned above (only with a little more weight) and it works great. It's also one of the best slalom v drives ever put to water and can throw a nice wakeboarding wake with some bow ballast and the wedge. It's the perfect crossover. Personally, I'd hate to drop over $50K on a boat that's only good at one thing for how our family uses our boat.

Why not just buy a cabin cruiser. Maybe a big ol' Bay Liner. You could prolly surf behind that. Whistling.gif

Actually a good idea.

Find a twin screw 30 ft or so - inboard of course.

With twins you can surf both side at the same time - we've done it behind a 10 meter Trojan several times.

It has an aft cabin so lots of weight in the stern - without the aft cabin you may need some ballast in the stern.

if anyone has any other ideas on what would make a good wakesurf specific boat - please add them to the thread

Two Power Wedges one on each side

and ofcorse it would half to go with the optional 600 HP engin Yahoo.gif

I thinkthe thing that makes centrurion surf so well is their hull. It resembles a regular v-hulled boat--very deep below the waterline. Got to handle like crap.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Surfing.gif After all is said and done.........The best way to easily fatten a 'bu is to invite your heaviest friends on the boat. Then you can switch from regular to goofy in a second, just YELL switch. Clap.gif
I thinkthe thing that makes centrurion surf so well is their hull. It resembles a regular v-hulled boat--very deep below the waterline. Got to handle like crap.

Them Oklahoma boys roll their...