Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Member Looking

Forman

I am a new member and am looking for advice on which is the best Malibu for my needs. I have two young boys (6-8) just learing to ski, and I want to get a crossover in order to produce a flat enough wake to teach them the slalom course from full line to short line, but also be able to produce a good enough wake for them to learn to wakeboard from beginner to intermediate. I don't want to go pure VDrive or wakeboard boat as I still want to do some slalom sets through the course and want to teach the boys, as well.

My research indicates the Sunsetter XTI is perfect, given the wraparound seating and the direct drive. Problem is I want to spend around $30k ($25k-35k), which seems to put me in the 2000-2003 range, depending on options. Depending on whether the boys later focus on riding or skiing, I would then upgrade to a wake specific boat.

What is the real difference b/t Sunsetter and the Wakesetter? I saw a Wakesetter DDrive on this site, but I thought the DDrive vs. the VDrive was the real difference b/t the two??? Also, I hardly see any Sunsetters for sale....what's up with this?

I really like the Malibu (having skied behind a closed bow for years), but are there other crossovers worth considering? Given my desire to have a Malibu, I haven't really looked.

I would appreciate any and all advice/input on seeking a good crossover boat in this price range.

Look at a direct drive Wakesetter (or an I-Ride). These are the same boat, just different years. Good crossover boats. I know of an 05 and an 06 I-ride that are going for around $30k with pretty low hours (pretty basic boats however).

The XTI's are cool and they are popular in the south, but if you skiing the wrap around seating the back is useless, they also made them much bigger in 05 (21.5 ft long and 98.5" wide) and those stink for skiing.

The difference between the Sunsetter and Wakesetter XTI is a diamond vs non-diamond or wake hull, the diamond hull being better for skiing.

My experience is going from a response to a DD Wakesetter

-Chris

The biggest difference on Malibu's is the Diamond vs Wake hull, then DDrive vs VDrive. The diamond hulls have lifting strakes on the outer edge of the hull. Generally Sunsetter LXi = Diamond Hull, Sunsetter LX & Wakesetter = Wake hull. It will vary by year and a diamond hull was an option on Wakesetters. Check out the hull chart in the Tech/DIY section.

The '99 - '04 Sunsetter LXi is considered one of the best slalom leaning crossover boats made. The XTi is available on the same hull, but with the different seating layout. Malibu changed the LXi significantly in 2005 and until the 20' VTX hasn't made anything that works as well as the 'SLXi Classic'. That's one of the reasons you don't see too many of them around - those who have them aren't getting rid of them.

Add a tower, wedge & speed control and you're set. You really shouldn't have a problem finding one in your price range, particularly as Jan->March rolls around. Don't wait much longer than April/May or they will be gone.

I am not a big fan of the XTi layout. You loose the large back trunk and the rear seating area is not usable while slaloming. It also appears that the rear seating area would become crowded with more than 3 people in there if anyone stood up - or more than one person stood up.

Edited by weinrdog

Thanks for the info....you seem to know. If you had to narrow it down, can you? I prefer Ddrive, thus it seems the Sunsetter LXi is the ticket, or the XTi, although another member recommended a DD Wakesetter....? Your thoughts?

Again, thanks, as I continue my education and search for the right boat.

The biggest difference on Malibu's is the Diamond vs Wake hull, then DDrive vs VDrive. The diamond hulls have lifting strakes on the outer edge of the hull. Generally Sunsetter LXi = Diamond Hull, Sunsetter LX & Wakesetter = Wake hull. It will vary by year and a diamond hull was an option on Wakesetters. Check out the hull chart in the Tech/DIY section.

The '99 - '04 Sunsetter LXi is considered one of the best slalom leaning crossover boats made. The XTi is available on the same hull, but with the different seating layout. Malibu changed the LXi significantly in 2005 and until the 20' VTX hasn't made anything that works as well as the 'SLXi Classic'. That's one of the reasons you don't see too many of them around - those who have them aren't getting rid of them.

Add a tower, wedge & speed control and you're set. You really shouldn't have a problem finding one in your price range, particularly as Jan->March rolls around. Don't wait much longer than April/May or they will be gone.

I am not a big fan of the XTi layout. You loose the large back trunk and the rear seating area is not usable while slaloming. It also appears that the rear seating area would become crowded with more than 3 people in there if anyone stood up - or more than one person stood up.

If you look at my info (<---), you'll see the choice I made about 9 months ago - 60% ski, 30% board, 10% cruising. My first year budget was under 29K - just a little lower than yours. Since you said you want to use it primarily for skiing - including in the course & up to intermediate wakeboarding, stick with the Diamond hull. I've not skied behind a DD wake hull, have heard it doesn't compare favorably, and know there are only a few boats out there with a better slalom wake than the SLXi.

As far as XTi vs LXi, how do you think you'll use the boat?

Course skiing - how fast/line length.

Partial day or full day trips.

With just a few people in it and access to a dock.

How many adults/total people along. (We've had 6 adults, 2 teens & a toddler on the boat for 5 hours comfortably).

How much stuff will everyone bring? (Towers with racks are great for handling this).

How much do you care about the dash/interior options - it will drive what years you want to consider.

Heck, if you expect it will just be 4 of you and you won't be spending long days on the water, a Response LXi would work too and you will find many more of those available in your price range.

I have never seen a live XTi, let alone been in one. My impression of the layout is knowing how I use my boat & what I find beneficial - PS I REALLY like the space in the trunk. The ability to fit 3 deflated tubes, 3 skis, 3 spring floats, a half dozen fun noodles, a ski skimmer and a wakeboard in it has been useful more than once this summer.

To better get a picture of what 99response is describing about the LXI hull being different look at the picture below of my old boat. You can see how the trunk hangs out over the wetted surface of the hull. This is the length difference in the Sunsetter LX & the Sunsetter LXI hull. The XTI does not have this trunk hang over.

The Sunsetter LX is 21' long.

The Sunsetter LXI is 21' 8" because of this trunk overhang.

The XTI is a 21' hull also unless you go for the 23' model.

post-5-1192495274_thumb.jpg

post-5-1192496108_thumb.jpg

I was looking for a crossoverboat for the very same reasons you are, which is why I choose to order an 07' iRIDE. You can't beat it direct drive performance and handling, love the trunk. We got ours loaded to the hilt with just about every option and it ran $42K with a heavily optioned boatmate trailer.

I am a new member and am looking for advice on which is the best Malibu for my needs. I have two young boys (6-8) just learing to ski, and I want to get a crossover in order to produce a flat enough wake to teach them the slalom course from full line to short line, but also be able to produce a good enough wake for them to learn to wakeboard from beginner to intermediate. I don't want to go pure VDrive or wakeboard boat as I still want to do some slalom sets through the course and want to teach the boys, as well.

My research indicates the Sunsetter XTI is perfect, given the wraparound seating and the direct drive. Problem is I want to spend around $30k ($25k-35k), which seems to put me in the 2000-2003 range, depending on options. Depending on whether the boys later focus on riding or skiing, I would then upgrade to a wake specific boat.

What is the real difference b/t Sunsetter and the Wakesetter? I saw a Wakesetter DDrive on this site, but I thought the DDrive vs. the VDrive was the real difference b/t the two??? Also, I hardly see any Sunsetters for sale....what's up with this?

I really like the Malibu (having skied behind a closed bow for years), but are there other crossovers worth considering? Given my desire to have a Malibu, I haven't really looked.

I would appreciate any and all advice/input on seeking a good crossover boat in this price range.

A close buddy of mine has a 2003 21XTi which i have spent alot of time on before I bought my Bu last year. I've got a 2002 21LSV on a diamond hull. My boat has a better ski wake than his boat, hands down. Smaller and softer. Everyone we ski with agrees on this. And yes, the seating in the back of the xti is useless while towing a skier, and the ally beside the engine gets very congested and there is not alot of storage space. Also, the seating is kinda "segregated", the people in the back are far removed from thoes in the middle, and even further from those in the front. Tough for an evening cruise.

We ski the course on my 21LSV, and have no problems with it. The wake is not quite as soft as a DD, but its close enough for me and most of the people we ski with. Throw a bunch of ballast in the boat and some people, and the wake board wake and surf wake are great!! Too big for beginers, great for the intermediate guys, and even the really really good guys on our lake dont complain too much about it with proper weight. The V-drive configuration works great as a "family" boat. It is very comfortable for all the passengers. TONS of storage. I really cant recommend it enough.

I would look at a 2003-2005 21LSV on a diamond hull, or the new 20' VTX also apparently is a very good slalom machine.

Here is what the wake looks like behind our 21SLV.

1. The ski wake is at 31mph, always ski with 1/4 tank of gas or less when possible, and in this case there were 3 (including driver) in the boat. The wake only gets better the faster you go and the fewer people.

2. The board wake is with 8 people in the boat, no ballast and no wedge. It gets alot better with some weight in the lockers.

3. The surf wake is with 400# of ballast in the locker, the wedge, and 9 people, 3 in the bow, everyone else on the passengers side, 1 on the sun deck.

post-1978-1192501939_thumb.jpg

A close buddy of mine has a 2003 21XTi which i have spent alot of time on before I bought my Bu last year. I've got a 2002 21LSV on a diamond hull. My boat has a better ski wake than his boat, hands down. Smaller and softer. Everyone we ski with agrees on this.

Is his the Sunsetter XTi with diamond hull or Wakesetter XTi with the wake hull - in '03, they made both.

The 21 XTI hull and the Sunsetter Lxi hull are not the same for any years. The lxi has the overhang on the back for the trunk.

Ronnie is right. I was talking about the wetted surface/wake when moving. The SLXi and SXTi are SV23 Diamond hulled boats. The SLX & WXTi are both SV23 Wake hulled boats. All of which will ski better than an I/O. The differences will let you have a boat that is very good at your primary activity AND do a pretty good job at the other. I'll post some pictures of the ski & boarding wake of the SLXi later - they will look very similar to the 01SVLX/02-04SLSV wakes.

Edit - Post # of 2nd quote.

Edited by weinrdog

Depends on what you want to do and where you plan to go. The SLXI ('00-'04)is a great choice for all day lakes as it has the storage capacity. All the diamond hulls preform better slaloming than wakeboarding. Surfing….lol forget it. I’ve skied many times behind the Sunsetter LX, which became the wakesetter DD, and now the I-Ride. While it's a good wake it's harder and more prounced than that of the diamond hull, they did make it on a diamond hull one hear '01 IIRC.

I'm not a fan of the XTI the seating just doesn't appeal to me and the loss of storage isn't worth it, otherwise it'll preform the same as the SLXI or the I-Ride on diamond hulls.

For me it'd be

SLXI

I-Ride (on diamond hull)

XTI (on diamond hull)

Here is a pic of a SLXI with wedge, 700 lbs in the rear and 1k up front with only a driver and one passenger. Granted this lake is only 7-10' deep so keep that in mind. Speed ~21.5.

post-6-1192558575_thumb.jpg

post-6-1192558583_thumb.jpg

You're going to be making some sacrifices no matter which boat/hull you choose. I guess you should ask yourself which sport you'll primarily be using the boat for and base your choice on having the least sacrifice for that sport while still being able to perform your other sports (it's late, did that make sense?). It also sounds like you're looking to buy used and that may also limit your choices. IOW, you may decide your first choice is a direct drive, but you may come across a sweet deal on a very nice v-drive that will also meet your criteria.

I was in the same boat (pun intended), and ended up buying a direct drive Wakesetter (wake hull). I grew up slalom skiing so my boat definitely needed to be able to do that well, but I also wanted a wedge, a tower, and the ability to load it up and surf behind it. I like the handling of a DD better than a V, but was looking at both. I ended up buying the one I did because it met all my criteria and was in great condition, low hours, and a good price.

No, it doesn't have the wake of a Response LXi, but I slalom behind it all the way down to 28 off and love it. I'm not entering any competitions anyway, just having fun. It also doesn't throw the wake of a VLX, but I go ropeless behind it all the time.

Where do you want to compromise the least? Good luck.