Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Effect of inboard engines on water quality

als2104

I am in the process of proposing a ski club to the local parks department and their paramount concern is water quality. Currently, there are no gas powered motors allowed on the lakes.

Does anyone have information on inboard engine emissions and hydrocarbons? I dont know much about engines and exhaust but I'm sure some of the more mechanically inclined can chime in.

I have received the USA Waterski manual and its helpful but most of the studies are from the 60's and involve outboard motors. Does anyone know of more recent studies conducted on newer engines? Thanks

You might try contacting Indmar directly. They can probably point you in the right direction. www.indmar.com

i would think it would be in indmars best interest to support folks that would like to expand the role of indmar on the pond.

Buy the ski club a boat with the Indmar CAT's, those cut way down on emissions, I'm sure Indmar put out plenty of data on those.

Not 100% sure, but a gas engine with CAT's should be emitting CO2 and water primarily. They are very very clean. If water quality is a concern I wouldn't even think about any other engine than one with CAT's.

Does the downturn exhaust have any effect on water quality? I imagine there is some diffusion into the water when exhaust is filtered down, but I honesly have no clue.

I think your problems are more likely to be centered around effect of wake on the shorline, noise for local residents, effect on natural aquatic vegetation, on fish, and on other NON-motorized people who like to use the lake. Those issues are generally far more polarizing than hydrocarbon emission.

I think your problems are more likely to be centered around effect of wake on the shorline, noise for local residents, effect on natural aquatic vegetation, on fish, and on other NON-motorized people who like to use the lake. Those issues are generally far more polarizing than hydrocarbon emission.

I agree. The threat of fuel spills from improper filling or from a sinking are concerns also.

Does the downturn exhaust have any effect on water quality? I imagine there is some diffusion into the water when exhaust is filtered down, but I honesly have no clue.

When on a plane... the downturn exhaust still exhausts into the air... Only at slower speeds does it go into the water.