Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wait 3 seconds then egnition catches

chathamsolutions

Our last long trip of the summer was at lake Nacimiento. We have a family reunion there and rent a house out of Oak Shores (man, they became Nazi's this last year over amount of cars / boats / etc. they let in per house...).

I went to start the boat and for the first time in 290Hrs it wouldn't start. I figured it was the fact that I had run my stereo for 3+ hours while detailing the boat after a week sitting in the water. I also noticed that my Perko battery switch was turned on, and I usually turn it to OFF when the boat is out of the water.

So, I assumed it was battery related.

BUTT... the volt meter showed 13, dead in the middle of the gauge.

I hooked up my costco portable jumper anyway. After sitting for 3+ minutes it fired up.

The next couple of days, whenver I would turn the key it would take a second, or up to three, before the engine would turn over. And it would fire right up. But it would always be a few seconds before it would come to life. There wasn't any skipping, turning, it would fire right up - but always after a few second wait.

What would cause that?

Starter going bad?

You're saying that you turn the key to start, but nothing happens.. and you just hold it there, and ~3seconds later the engine starts turning over, and starts up?

Or it cranks for 3 seconds and then starts?

You're saying that you turn the key to start, but nothing happens.. and you just hold it there, and ~3seconds later the engine starts turning over, and starts up?

YES

Also should have mentioned, I have an isolator as well. The isolator obviously is used to isolate the two batteries I have.

One for the starter and one for the radio.

Yes, I know, my thinking was flawed above if I have an isolator then running the stereo for hours shouldn't have mattered. But it was what came to mind when my boat wouldn't start, 'Oh ya, guess I ran the radio too long this time...'

Starter going bad?

It may be the solenoid and not the actual starter itself, one way to check is bypass the ignition switch with a relay start button and see if it still does it. With the key off it won't start but it will let you know if the delay is still there and it's not a bad ignition switch. If you don't have a relay start button, let me know I have one you can borrow.

YES

Wow - that is crazy, I have no idea .. did you try the Ninja? Dontknow.gif

YES

More helpful information from Troy. :lol:

Don't you need to go design a new processor or something?

I tried, but he came back with something about a shirkin he threw at me must have gotten stuck in the electrical wiring...

Right, like I would let any ninja hit me or my Bu with a shirkin...

I tried, but he came back with something about a shirkin he threw at me must have gotten stuck in the electrical wiring...

Right, like I would let any ninja hit me or my Bu with a shirkin...

True.. true... and then he'd probably say something like "I look forward to killing youuuu later!".. which of course would freak me out.

Better just enjoy the 3sec of silence.. ;)

Corroded connectors at the battery, switch or starter solenoid?

I never have had much luck with those Perko switches. Seems like they always corroded on the inside after a couple years.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Bad connection. Corrosion, loose, etc.....bad connection.

Holding the key in the start position long enough likely heats up the bad connection, providing a better connection momentarily.

Peter

Starter going bad?

It may be the solenoid and not the actual starter itself, one way to check is bypass the ignition switch with a relay start button and see if it still does it. With the key off it won't start but it will let you know if the delay is still there and it's not a bad ignition switch. If you don't have a relay start button, let me know I have one you can borrow.

I think your on the right track however I would bet the solenoid is probably throwing out but the copper ring is not mating alwayswith the contacts well enough to complete the circuit. One of my wife's cars did the same exact same thing and it cost me less than $2.00 to fix.

Holding the key in the start position long enough likely heats up the bad connection, providing a better connection momentarily.

Peter

Batteries look brand new. They've been in the factory plastic containers since they came from the factory. When I pulled off the hard plastic, it looked new. No corrosion, and the leads looked to be solidly on.

So, you think the connection to the starter may be bad?

Peter

Batteries look brand new. They've been in the factory plastic containers since they came from the factory. When I pulled off the hard plastic, it looked new. No corrosion, and the leads looked to be solidly on.

So, you think the connection to the starter may be bad?

Yes, the contacts between the starter solenoid and the starter motor are most likely bad. Pull your starter to see. It's easy and cheap to do it yourself. You don't really need a whole new starter because it once it catches it cranks ok if I heard you correctly.