Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help Fix My Surfing Wake

Donnieb

I love my 07 Wakesetter VLX with the diamond hull! Wow…I couldn't be happier. But I'm having trouble getting a clean surfing wake like a friends 24-ft Enzo. I can get a large wake but it has a secondary wave in it, and I'm not sure how to get rid of it. Another friend has a 06 VLX with the Wakesetter Hull and he has the same problems. I've included a picture behind my diamond hull boat (with the yellow surfboard) and my friend's wakesetter hull (the blue board in the next post).

post-2646-1191527019_thumb.jpg

This is what I'm running in my boat:

• Factory ballast – center, bow, and port side
  • 750 lb fat sack in the port-side locker
  • 400 lb sac under the port side seats
  • 400 lb sac on top of the port side seats
  • 300lb in lead on the port side between the large storage locker and the rear port seat, 40 lbs in the port-side bow
  • Automatic Wedge at roughly 10:00

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Donnie

Well, this isn't going to help you all that much, but here it is. I had the old fixed wedge up until this spring when it was destroyed & ended up at the bottom of the lake. So we upgraded to the free floating wedge that was introduced in '07. Best thing we could have done IMO. Take a look at this post:

LINK

It shows a direct comparison of the floating wedge with the old fixed wedge. It doesn't completely eliminate what you're talking about, but it shapes the wave in such a way that makes it much easier to ride in addition to really cleaning it up. Those pictures were taken when we had the same weight setups & were running at the same speed, with water temperature & depth being similar enough to be non-factors. Supposedly you can get the same from the power wedge by running it all the way down, so you might play with that on your boat to see if you can do something with it. Being a diamond hull though might make a difference.

the picture of your friends boat shows it better. it looks like the huge wall of water you have going straight up there is just starting to curl over back down sooner than you would like. Have you tried a little less weight or without the wedge at all or maybe more in the bow? Do you have any engineer friends?

Well, this isn't going to help you all that much, but here it is. I had the old fixed wedge up until this spring when it was destroyed & ended up at the bottom of the lake. So we upgraded to the free floating wedge that was introduced in '07. Best thing we could have done IMO. Take a look at this post:

LINK

It shows a direct comparison of the floating wedge with the old fixed wedge. It doesn't completely eliminate what you're talking about, but it shapes the wave in such a way that makes it much easier to ride in addition to really cleaning it up. Those pictures were taken when we had the same weight setups & were running at the same speed, with water temperature & depth being similar enough to be non-factors. Supposedly you can get the same from the power wedge by running it all the way down, so you might play with that on your boat to see if you can do something with it. Being a diamond hull though might make a difference.

Thanks Tracie for your feedback. It looks like your wake has the secondary wave in it too, though. I've circled it below. That's the wave I'm trying to get rid of.

post-2646-1191566605_thumb.jpg

My theory is that's caused by the edge of the swim platform ... I don't think weighting will do anything about it. I've looked at the water rushing past the swim platform on several boats, and it definitely leaves a contrail back there. Maybe try taking the swim platform off and see if it's still there? My secondary theory is that it's a by-product of what the wedge does. On the Enzo you're talking about, are they using the switchblade?

I've got to say, though, all of the pictures of the wakes you posted look pretty freaking good. I'd say you might want more weight up front in the bow, from my experience. Also, what speed are you running? It seems like most people run about 10 mph on Malibu's, but I have to run as fast as 12.5 to get a clean wake. I haven't verified that with GPS, though.

BTW, from what I've heard, it's hard to compare the Enzo surf wake to anybody else's. I've heard really good things about it. I suspect you'll be disappointed if you try to emulate what the Enzo's surf wake looks like.

BTW, from what I've heard, it's hard to compare the Enzo surf wake to anybody else's. I've heard really good things about it. I suspect you'll be disappointed if you try to emulate what the Enzo's surf wake looks like.

Plus1.gif

Its coused by your swim platform. try taking it off and you will see that it disapears. I have had the same concern you get above that line and the wave seems to have no push. I too have an 07 and am running almost the same weight as your self . The only differance being i run the wedge all the way down wich helps clean it up alot. and the 400 you have on top of your seat i would cut in half and move to the front. if you send me your e-mail i can send you pics. sorry to say the only way to get rid of that second wave is to git rid of the plat form..

$$$$ million dollar idea hinge the platform so it dosent dig into the water... make it so it would always float..

Thanks everyone for your replies.

SunscapeJeff -- we run about 10-11MPH, depending upon the weight of the rider, the board they are using, their experience level, etc. We've tried going faster but we find that we are merely surfing to keep up with the wave/boat and we don't have the freedom to turn as much.

LilJohn. The wave actually has a lot of push...but the secondary wave distracts the rider from going all the way to the top of the primary wave -- they merely aim for the lip of the secondary wave. But I'd love to see pictures! I'll PM you my email address for pictures.

Thanks!

Donnie

LINK

Thanks Tracie for your feedback. It looks like your wake has the secondary wave in it too, though. I've circled it below. That's the wave I'm trying to get rid of.

post-2646-1191566605_thumb.jpg

It does & I know what you're talking about, but the floating wedge made it better & not as pronounced.

does it make a difference if you are driving straight or on a slight or even pronounced curve?

If I drive in a large circle it's not as pronounced...but it's still there.

Thanks.

Don

I hate math problems, is this a math problem or is it simply as Liljohn says, it is caused by the swim grid. The picture of WG's wake does seem to highlight the separate wave coming off the back of the boat from the grid.