Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

It's back!

Malibudude

Malibu is adopting an interesting strategy with the deletion of the Reponse. If you go back in time, the Response came in after and under the price point of the Echelon to offer a more price competitive ski boat. When the Response ratcheted up, the Sportster came out and did the exact same thing, offering another value based tournament ski boat. The LXi offereing is exactly the opposite strategy, but I am assuming it works since it sounds like the Response will be phased out.

As a skier, I am certainly sad to see the Response line go away, but as a barefooter, it is a real dissapointment since the SV23 hull is probably the absolute best for slalom and footing and the 07 LXi does not offer the footing wake of the earlier models.

I also am not that interested in the bling offerings, but much more interested in the skiing functionality and the performance of the boat.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WakeGirl

• 88Skier

• areamike

• vette-ski

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wonder why Correct Craft sells so many of them. I've never understood the draw to such a small amount of seating in the bow area, and I've raised 3 kids in my boats.

The reason Correct Craft sell a lot of closed bow boats is beacuse they have such a great forward view due to their forward screen and seating postion. Everything is moved forward (screen, seating, engine etc) unlike the Malibu & Mastercrafts which are the same as open bow but just with a fibreglass deck. Hence most Bu & MC owners opt for the open version as we gain nothing from buying a closed version.

But with the nautique the buyers actually gain a better driving position with the closed bow & that's something skiers want since people carrying isn't an issue.

Edited by uk_exile

DH- the vette is a V-Drive, not DD

From a sunk cost standpoint (ha! no pun intended) there isn't alot of reason to ditch a lower price point DD. If Malibu is going to do that, you would think that they have something else in the works, or have done enough homework to figure they can get enough of those buyers into something else, like a VTX to make it worthwhile.

The cool thing about the Vette boat, is if it was an automaker, they'd make a one-off and that would be it for the show circuit, since they are building several, I'm sure several of us will eventually get to take a spin behind a one-off caliber "show" boat.

I think I am personally becoming obsolete in the world of towboats..... and possibly most of the discussions on the forum.

Malibu has turfed the 1 fantastic entry level ski-boat called the Sportster..... the one that gives 2" wakes and goes like stink.

They have decided to now get rid of their next "low-end" boat called the Response and Response LX.... a pair of fantastic DD skiboats.

In 2003 they created one absolutely gorgious RLX replacement boat called it the RLXi, added more $$$, added more bling......then in 2007 decide to gumper up the front end and make it look more like a cross-over boat so it appeals to the growing group of folks who want that added people-carrying capacity. (I looked at the 2008 RLXi at the Toronto Boat Show and could not understand why all the stupid chrome on the dash and around the gauges. Heck... these boats are being driven outside....in the sunlight..... you don't want all those shiny reflective surfaces. Oh, but itlooks so..... nice!)

Now, we see them adding a jazzed up Corvette model with a gazillion horsepower.... and folks are going gaga as if it makes Malibu a fantastic boat manufacturer. You know, the new model that will cost 100 grand plus or minus. Why? If you want to go 60+ mph, a DD skiboat is not the way to go.

I don't get the hype. I don't get the bling. I don't get the elimination of some great "entry-level" hulls. I don't get the high price tags. I don't get the (add a manly Tim the Toolman grunt here) fascination over the new Corvette.

What I do realize.... is I am a has~been.

My next boat, will likely be a 2003~2006 RLX or RLXi. Then that will likely be my last Malibu.... and likely my last skiboat. Right now, I don't see a replacement for that next boat on the horizon.

May I Rest in Peace.

Doug, there's antique boat sites for guys like us.

Why all the stupid chrome on the dash and around the gauges?

I don't get the bling.

I agree with you, Doug. I looked at replacing my boat with an '08 but I really hate the look of those big chrome Malibu plaques on the sides, the big chrome pieces on the windshield, big chrome vents on the nose, and "Wakesetter" plastered across the entire side of the boat. I know I can eliminate the Malibu plaques and Wakesetter lettering, but.....

I guess I'm an "obsolete...has-been" too, because I believe a $70k plus "family" boat should display understated elegance and class rather than "look at me" bling.

Why all the stupid chrome on the dash and around the gauges?

I don't get the bling.

I agree with you, Doug. I looked at replacing my boat with an '08 but I really hate the look of those big chrome Malibu plaques on the sides, the big chrome pieces on the windshield, big chrome vents on the nose, and "Wakesetter" plastered across the entire side of the boat. I know I can eliminate the Malibu plaques and Wakesetter lettering, but.....

I guess I'm an "obsolete...has-been" too, because I believe a $70k plus "family" boat should display understated elegance and class rather than "look at me" bling.

I am a little torn on selling my 06 247 as well. It was the last year before the addition of all the extra things you listed, minus the (vent) on the front.

Although, the new 23 LSV doesn't have any chrome on the dash.... and you can order the Wakesetter without the "Wake Setter" logo on the side.

post-28-1200418066_thumb.jpg

post-28-1200418078_thumb.jpg

I'm not too sure about all the modernization... IE: the switching of essential equipment (Bilge pump, etc...) from a LED display and the stereo being integrated in the boat. I'm sure it makes building the boat faster, but will probably make troubleshooting a thing of the past. If there s a problem, Break Out Another Thousand...and replace the unit.

Maybe I'm just gun shy of things I don't think I completely understand. (has-been???)

Pat

If it's true the R & RLX are going, it may not be for long. The Sportster has been brought back into production (Australian factory only)

I recently visited the tennessee factory and there were lots of closed bow responses in production. Upon asking why, I was told that europe orders lots of them due to some legal restriction. All out of country boats come out of tennessee, Since they are ordering so many boats (at least 15 in production) I dont see them stopping. Nothing firm though. hmmmm

Dontknow.gifDontknow.gifDontknow.gif

Can Peter or Madman or any of the other dealers on here confirm that 2008 will be the last year for the Response/Rlx?

I've heard nothing other than what's been posted here. If it was cut in stone, we would have heard something at the Dealer Mtg.

Can Peter or Madman or any of the other dealers on here confirm that 2008 will be the last year for the Response/Rlx?

I've heard nothing other than what's been posted here. If it was cut in stone, we would have heard something at the Dealer Mtg.

Thanks. Hopefully it was just a bad rumor.

I don't know that it has become a rumor yet. I started it. Peter and Madman don't agree, so let it end here. Hopefully, they're right and I am wrong. I guess I shouldn't have listened to those Mastercraft guys.

Edited by 88Skier
I don't know that it has become a rumor yet. I started it. Peter and Madman don't agree, so let it end here. Hopefully, they're right and I am wrong. I guess I shouldn't have listened to those Mastercraft guys.

:Doh:

Well there's your problem right there. :lol: