Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Winterizing Your Indmar Monsoon Engine

I was a litlle confused by this, however:

Many people may winterize, then on a pretty day put back in service then back down again. There is no problem in doing that except to remember TWO things. First, if the oil has over 5 hours use, change it again, and using fogging oil every time it will be down for 30 days or more.

Wouldn't that leave water where it shouldn't be? Not that it really matters to me...winterizing is not something I have to deal with.

Wouldn't that leave water where it shouldn't be?

Yes. You still have to drain appropriate areas. Think 'mini' winterize. I 'winterize' my boat after each use during the early spring, we invariably get temps cold enough to freeze things up.

I am going to winterize my new bu myself. I have been reading lots of great tips on winterizing. One thing I am not clear on is weather it is safe to use a fake a lake or not. I just read this overview and it does not use one in this process, but rather runs a water hose directly into the intake hose. Any help on this would be appreciated.

I am going to winterize my new bu myself. I have been reading lots of great tips on winterizing. One thing I am not clear on is weather it is safe to use a fake a lake or not. I just read this overview and it does not use one in this process, but rather runs a water hose directly into the intake hose. Any help on this would be appreciated.

Fake-a-Lake is just fine. The concern in the article was that the f-a-l could fall over with movement of the boat and starve the engine of water. just be careful.

i use a f-a-l thing that does not have the pole to the ground but clips into the brass intake so i don't have to worry about it falling over. can't remember what it is called.

While I have not tried it yet, my plans with my f-a-l this year is to use my back yard embrella stand to support the post for the f-a-l while it is under the boat. This should stop it from falling over (like it did for me last year... lucky my son was watching.

• 2 years later...
Ok thanks alot for all your input on the fake a lake. I will go ahead and give it a try being very careful.

Gordon

I spent just a little more money and bought the Flush Pro. Took less than an hour to install and it is visible from inside the boat so i can be sure water is flowing.

Anyone know where this file is? The link doesn't seem to be working.

Probably because that conversation was over 2 years ago. For a good winterization guide find any post by Pistol Pete and click the link in his signature.

EDIT: Scratch that. I just saw a post by Pete and the winterization .pdf isn't there now. Dontknow.gif Seems I remember him saying that he was updating it.

Edited by NorCaliBu
  • 1 year later...

Ok need help, I have found two nice posts on here of how to winterize a 2008 vlx the only thing I seem to find confusing is one article said to fog the 2008 indamar 340 and the other article said not to fog a motor with ext/cat. Well what is the correct thing to do?

I've always read that if you have cats then you should pull each plug and spray for 3-5 seconds. Without cats, pull the air fliter and spray down the throttle body for 30-45 seconds.

Ok need help, I have found two nice posts on here of how to winterize a 2008 vlx the only thing I seem to find confusing is one article said to fog the 2008 indamar 340 and the other article said not to fog a motor with ext/cat. Well what is the correct thing to do?

Fog each cylinder individually by pulling the spark plug.

In the winterization guide from Pistol Pete (I believe) there is this note regarding pulling spark plugs and squirting fogging oil:

"FACTOID – Pulling spark plugs and squirting an excessive amount of fogging oil or any other substance in

cylinders can potentially cause major damage caused by a potential hydraulic lock. This is HIGHLY discouraged if

you are un-familiar with engines."

I think just fogging the engine from the intake manifold should be sufficient.

This seems basic, but you do know that if you use the method of spraying into the carb/throttle body, the engine does have to be running when you do this. You need to get the oil into the cylinders and it takes a running engine to pull it in. Otherwise your oil will just pool in the intake manifold. You are NOT supposed to do this if you have catalytic converters. I don't have cats, and I still prefer the "pull the plug" method. I remove all 8 plugs, give all 8 cylinders a spray, bump the key a few times (with the coil wire removed too) to give the engine a few rotations, give all 8 cylinders a 2nd spray, bump it over a few times again, install spark plugs, and don't run it again until spring. You will never hydrolock bumping it over with the plugs out. Plus you'd have to spray a TON of fog oil in a cylinder to hydrolock it anyway IMO.

Cool just what I was thinking... now for the ballast tanks and engine. I called the local dealer and they want $365 to winterize. $55 a ballast tank...

So Im assuming as with my hot tub and pool get all the water out with shop vac or air gun,,, but he said they use anti freeze in tanks and block. Im assuming that I should run antifreeze through block and then drain out what I can following pistol pete's drain steps??? I this correct???

Edited by kaddman
  • 11 months later...

Dear Crew:

I have a question as I prepare to Winterize my 2005 23 LSV. This will be my first time with this boat so attempting to learn quickly. I went through most of the posts that I could find within the forums about Winterization. I watched the video that shows draining the motor down by pulling hoses and plugs, but why would you do this drain the water then seal it all up again and run RV Antifreeze through the motor? Can you just run the RV Antifreeze through the motor and be done?

I was also looking for the PDF document that is referenced above?

Thanks for any information.

Bob

Edited by Notfirsturlast

I don't use anti-freeze. If there is no water there is nothing to freeze. If you flush with anti-freeze and don't get anti-freeze throughout the engine you risk damage. There are two schools of thought on this so it's really a personal preference.

• Like 2