Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New boat advice - Sunsetter LXI?

Urquie

A couple questions for the group. First off, I am new to the site but old to Malibu. Wife and I bought a '89 Malibu Skier around 10 years ago (got engaged on it) and for that reason alone, she has not let me upgrade. Three kids later, it is getting a little crowded and am finally getting the almost go ahead on something more appropriate. She is a waterski purist, whereas I like boarding, skiing, and hopefully surfing. After hours of reading old posts, it seems like a 1999-2001 Sunsetter LXI would be the most appropriate transistion boat and could hopefully be found for around 20k+.

This jetskipro550 and another listed in Denver are both within a days drive and almost within budget, but seem a bit high in hours. What is the "crews" consensus on high hours nearby vs low hours a long ways away? Also, how much life is taken off a boat like this that has been loaded with lots of ballast for boarding vs the Denver boat that has never had ballast or a wedge? I would like both, but have seen others that usually are interested in this question when reviewing used boats so figure it must be a bit harder on the boat and engine when always running loaded.

Thanks for any advice!

And if I do find one, let me know if anyone knows a good home for a beautiful '89 skier!

Edited by Urquie

First, welcome to the site!

Second, I think you're definitely on the right track looking at SLXi's, although I am admittedly biased. And just to clarify, the SLXi was essentially unchanged from it's introduction in '99 through the '04 model. (or was it '03) Dontknow.gif Obviously the later models are unlikely to be had in the $20k range.

Third, there have recently been a couple '00-'01 SLXi's advertised on the site that had 200 hours or less, but you'll have to pay a premium for the low hours. The low hours may, or may not, indicate a boat that is in better condition than one with double or triple the hours. I wouldn't let hours be the driving factor in your purchase decision.

Lastly, I would lean toward a boat that had been used in a simlar fashion to the way I was going to use it if at all possible. For me that equates to roughly 50% skiing, 45% boarding (It would be lower, but I have teenage sons.) and 5% surfing.

Good luck.

Edit: Here's an '01 with only 140 hours but asking price was nearly $30k. 2001 SLXi

Edited by John I.

It was essentially unchanged up through 2004, 2005 being the year that they changed it. And to add to the mix, there were models in (I think) 2002 & 2003 called a Wakesetter LXI that is essentially the same boat but with the MLS & a few other things. As for the hours, (using jetskipro's boat as an example) I don't consider 600 hours on a '99 to be high at all. If you figure that the boat is 8 years old, that's an average of less than 100 per year, & up here in the northwest that's probably above average for yearly use. Over the life of a boat, 600 hours really isn't much either, so I wouldn't be scared of that (provided of course it has been well maintained). I would be more apt to look at an 8 year old boat that has 600 hours on it over an 8 year old boat with less than 200. JMO of course.

Regarding jetskipro, I can't vouch first hand for the boat since I've never been in it, but I consider him & his family to be personal friends. They are a great group of people & I wouldn't have any reservations whatsoever about buying anything from them. The ironic thing is that his boat is one that we looked at buying a few years ago when our dealer had taken it on trade in from the original buyers. I think that it had one owner after that before JSP's family bought it & everything that I heard about the boat through the grapevine was positive. FWIW

We have been e-mailing, but I just want to add that we were also a little worried about buying this boat back when it had 400 hours on it, but after doing a little research and then test driving it, we decided that it wasn't anything to be afraid of. It starts up on the first turn of the key, and never hesitates, spudders, or gives any other inclination that things aren't running perfectly. Besides the usual wear and tear on the interior and exterior, the boat is in an overall great condition and it runs as strong as a brand new boat. You could probably do a search on here and find out more info then you ever wanted to know about our boat. Where about in the NW are you located?

We have been e-mailing, but I just want to add that we were also a little worried about buying this boat back when it had 400 hours on it, but after doing a little research and then test driving it, we decided that it wasn't anything to be afraid of. It starts up on the first turn of the key, and never hesitates, spudders, or gives any other inclination that things aren't running perfectly. Besides the usual wear and tear on the interior and exterior, the boat is in an overall great condition and it runs as strong as a brand new boat. You could probably do a search on here and find out more info then you ever wanted to know about our boat. Where about in the NW are you located?

Not to far away. We are in Spokane, though do most our boating lately in Idaho, Montana, and BC. Thanks for all of the pics and advice so far, I am feeling better about a higher hour boat already.

Engine-wise, that motor is still being broken in...tons o' life left IMO. Several boats in my area have turned 1000, and some also 2000. Other things will "break" before the motor, which is to be expected (blowers, pumps, cables, etc.). If you hunt for jetski pros posts on maintenance you'll find that he has posted a lot on maintenance inquiries, which suggests to me that he did in fact do the maintenance. I bet the motor has a lot of life in it. Great choice of model by the way.

I just bought an SSLXi with 460 hours at the beginning of the summer and REALLY like it. It's run flawlessly all summer (50 hours now). Always starts on first key turn, runs strong, pulls strong, never a worry. I did have to handle some age related maintenance issues - replace belts, hose, rusting pulleys, hatch pistons, latches, etc. Those issues do add up, but are relatively minor & more related to years than hours. (Throttle cable, steering cable, Speedo, decals were all replaced by dealer before I bought the boat).

We ski 60%, board 30%, tube 10%.

Running with balast/wedge is typically done slower (15-25) that skiing/footing (30 - 45), so the wear factor between the two is usually a wash. It takes much less throttle to board than to ski as long as it wasn't heavily overloaded. If the boat looks to be in good shape & checks out during a water test/survey - get it and be happy. Also a higher hour boat is often looked after and maintained very well, vs a boat that hasn't seen a lot of usage or been neglected.

Personally, I'd prefer local boat than a day's drive just because you aren't pressured to buy it immediately because you are unwilling to make the drive again.

Welcome to the site!

The SLXI is a great crossover boat but does provide a better slalom wake than a wakeboarding wake. With some weight and the wedge you’ll be able to produce a wake that’ll allow you to progress through intermediate levels. Surfing it’s best done on the port side of the boat but in reality it’s just not a great surf boat. The boat as John mentioned has not changed except for minor cosmetic touchups from ’99-‘03. The Wakesetter version of the SLXI is simply a package that included a tower, MLS (500 lbs. sack in the ski locker) and the wedge. I wouldn’t worry about distance if you find the right boat go for it. As for a boat that’s been used for more wakeboarding than skiing just take a look at the interior and how it’s been maintained as that’ll give you a good perspective on other maintenance items.

A boat that has been used consistently is better imho that one that has sat for lengthy periods of time.

I've heard that several times this boat has had a loose nut behind the wheel. A new owner, of course, will take care of that issue.

To the OP - that is a great boat for what you are looking for. It is a very capable ski boat but will still wakeboard well and hold the family. I sold my '99 last summer with around 400 hours on it, and I would not be concerned at all with 600 hours if the boat looks good. Generally speaking, if the boat owner has taken care of the appearance of the boat, he has also taken care of the internals (engine, etc...). Not alway, but generally the case.

I agree with Wakegirl on her analysis of low-hour, older boats. Corrosion sets in with lack of use and corrosion is a much bigger engine killer than putting hours on it. Regular use and regular maintenance is much better for a boat and its components than letting them sit around.

I sold my '97 VLX a few years ago with 450 hrs. on it & it was still "perfect". I did, however receive numerous "oh, gee, that many hours" comments from potential buyers. I think up here in the cold northwest so many boats are 15 years old & only have 150 hrs. on them that more hours than that sound worn out. A lot of people don't realize that in warm climates people put 600-700 hours per year on boats & they still last lots of years.

That makes alot of sense. Here in Eastern Washington, May - September is the season as the kids don't like to get in the water when it gets much cooler. I only have 450 hour on my '89 BU and use it as often as possible. Maybe I should just be jealous of those lucky enough to live on a lake/river or be somewhere they can be out all year. Thanks for all of the great info! Already have more responses than I had hoped for. So much so that now I feel it would be prudent to consider a VLX as well as a LXI. Just don't :unsure: tell my wife.

That makes alot of sense. Here in Eastern Washington, May - September is the season as the kids don't like to get in the water when it gets much cooler. I only have 450 hour on my '89 BU and use it as often as possible. Maybe I should just be jealous of those lucky enough to live on a lake/river or be somewhere they can be out all year. Thanks for all of the great info! Already have more responses than I had hoped for. So much so that now I feel it would be prudent to consider a VLX as well as a LXI. Just don't :unsure: tell my wife.

Since she slaloms I'd recommned the VTX on the diamond hull instead of the VLX.

I have to agree w/ not being so afraid of higher hour boats. My 2000 Wakesetter has nearly 850 hours on it and runs as good now as it ever has. Engine is strong and have had very few problems (other than my own stupidity from time to time Frustrated.gif ). In comparison, my old truck (a 2001 Avalanche) had an hourmeter on it that read 1400 hours and only registered 55000 miles on it (nearly half these miles towing the Bu around). Now most people would not condsider this high mileage on a truck at all, so in relation, the hours should be low too. Since the trucks and our boats are nearly identical engines, seems to me that 1000 hours would not be high on a well taken care of boat. JMO. Also need to take into consideration that truck engines run at a much higher temp than do boat engines, resulting in more high-heat wear I would think Dontknow.gif ???

Edited by SCOTTDOMINE
I have to agree w/ not being so afraid of higher hour boats. My 2000 Wakesetter has nearly 850 hours on it and runs as good now as it ever has. Engine is strong and have had very few problems (other than my own stupidity from time to time Frustrated.gif ). In comparison, my old truck (a 2001 Avalanche) had an hourmeter on it that read 1400 hours and only registered 55000 miles on it (nearly half these miles towing the Bu around). Now most people would not condsider this high mileage on a truck at all, so in relation, the hours should be low too. Since the trucks and our boats are nearly identical engines, seems to me that 1000 hours would not be high on a well taken care of boat. JMO. Also need to take into consideration that truck engines run at a much higher temp than do boat engines, resulting in more high-heat wear I would think Dontknow.gif ???

Tough to compare automobile and marine engine life expectancy. Boats are always under a load when cruising.

http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/enginelife.htm

Or an older VLX/Sunscape 21' LSV on the SV23 diamond, that would be a great crossover boat at a more affordable price tag vs. the VTX.

Skied the LSV and it's just not a good crossover from a slalom perspective.

Or an older VLX/Sunscape 21' LSV on the SV23 diamond, that would be a great crossover boat at a more affordable price tag vs. the VTX.

I think you mean after the change in '05 don't you? Prior to that, when lsvs were on sv23 diamond, slalom wake is pretty darn good. I ski one regularly in the course. Bigger than slxi, yes, but I think it's pretty comparable to a sv23 wake...it's alittle bigger, but softer.

I think you mean after the change in '05 don't you? Prior to that, when lsvs were on sv23 diamond, slalom wake is pretty darn good. I ski one regularly in the course. Bigger than slxi, yes, but I think it's pretty comparable to a sv23 wake...it's alittle bigger, but softer.

It was an '03 model. Skiable yes, not what I'd want as a slalomer though, and nowhere close to the SLXI.

It was an '03 model. Skiable yes, not what I'd want as a slalomer though, and nowhere close to the SLXI.

I should have prefaced a little more...over 32mph, its gets pretty darn good, but you're right, dude, no slxi.

Edited by JohnDoe
A couple questions for the group. First off, I am new to the site but old to Malibu. Wife and I bought a '89 Malibu Skier around 10 years ago (got engaged on it) and for that reason alone, she has not let me upgrade. Three kids later, it is getting a little crowded and am finally getting the almost go ahead on something more appropriate. She is a waterski purist, whereas I like boarding, skiing, and hopefully surfing. After hours of reading old posts, it seems like a 1999-2001 Sunsetter LXI would be the most appropriate transistion boat and could hopefully be found for around 20k+.

This jetskipro550 and another listed in Denver are both within a days drive and almost within budget, but seem a bit high in hours. What is the "crews" consensus on high hours nearby vs low hours a long ways away? Also, how much life is taken off a boat like this that has been loaded with lots of ballast for boarding vs the Denver boat that has never had ballast or a wedge? I would like both, but have seen others that usually are interested in this question when reviewing used boats so figure it must be a bit harder on the boat and engine when always running loaded.

Thanks for any advice!

And if I do find one, let me know if anyone knows a good home for a beautiful '89 skier!

I'm pretty sure that Malibudude's LXI will be up for sale before the end of the season. That's another option to look at for a clean boat with low hours Biggrin.gif

Thanks for any advice!

I'm pretty sure that Malibudude's LXI will be up for sale before the end of the season. That's another option to look at for a clean boat with low hours Biggrin.gif

Sounds good. When does the season end down there and what is Mrs. MalibuDudes email address so I can send her links to v-drives Biggrin.gif

600 is nothing, I have 570 on my 99 Sunsetter LX and it still runs and pulls like a champ.

I just sold a boat (04 wakesetter) I put a new engine in at 1400 hours, so plenty of life left with only 600.

Ski boats are meant to run, not sit in the yard!

600 is nothing, I have 570 on my 99 Sunsetter LX and it still runs and pulls like a champ.

I just sold a boat (04 wakesetter) I put a new engine in at 1400 hours, so plenty of life left with only 600.

Ski boats are meant to run, not sit in the yard!

Why did you need a new enginea t 1400 hours? That is still not a lot of hours on a V-8 engine.

urique,

i've got an 89 SS which i've put 125 hours on this summer (weekends only). My wife and I have two young kids, but it seems we always have another person (or 3) along with us. From all my reading and research, I think the 99-03 SSLXi would be the perfect boat -that's why they sell so fast and demand premium $$$. I'm been keeping my eye out for one, but need to complete full kitchen remodel and newer tow vehicle first...the SSLXi has sweet slalom wake, plenty of room, strong engine, rear storage compartment, tandem trailers, etc., etc., etc., etc.

BTW, my buddy has a MC Prostar 190 with over 2400 hours and never touched it (Ford 351 carb).