Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How do I remove my bilge pump?

BB-03_21LSV

I am having trouble with my bilge pump - I think it sucked in some paper towel scraps from wiping an oil spill in the bilge. I cannot for the life of me get the bilge top to pop off so I can clean it out, or figure out how to just remove it for a good inspection. Its an Atwood Guardian 500 buried in the back of my '03 Sunscape V-drive. There are 2 tabs - one on each side - I have pressed in to try to get the top to pop - but it wont! I have yanked and pried while pushing those tabs in to the point I think I am going to break the plastic housing. What's the trick?

Also, I can't figure out how its mounted. Once I open it will I see mounting screws? I might need to replace it.

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

I am having trouble with my bilge pump - I think it sucked in some paper towel scraps from wiping an oil spill in the bilge. I cannot for the life of me get the bilge top to pop off so I can clean it out, or figure out how to just remove it for a good inspection. Its an Atwood Guardian 500 buried in the back of my '03 Sunscape V-drive. There are 2 tabs - one on each side - I have pressed in to try to get the top to pop - but it wont! I have yanked and pried while pushing those tabs in to the point I think I am going to break the plastic housing. What's the trick?

Also, I can't figure out how its mounted. Once I open it will I see mounting screws? I might need to replace it.

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Can you use the Atwood website for specs to get a schematic of the pump?

You just gotta kinda squeeze it on both ends at the same time and wiggle is upward. It may be frustrating but, that's all there is to it. Once you get the top half separated, you'll see that the factory just drills a couple of screws into the bilge floor to mount it. You will also have plenty of access to the impeller "fan". I cut the wires going to my bilge pump and installed quick connects to the wires so that I could remove the pump completely out of the boat to clean it out once in awhile, it's a good idea.

Well I finally got the bilge pump out after wedging a screwdriver in and prying it open on 2 sides Mad.gif The inside of the unit had melted and fused together, and the impeller had completely failed. The motor shifted in the molten plastic. Oddly the motor still turned on & off - it just didn't pump anything. Lucky it didn't catch fire.

I replaced it with a floatless Rule 500 gph model. For those frustrated like me over high water levels left in the bilge, I picked this model because it's smaller, has no float switch, and pumps from the very bottom of the unit (instead the height that the float switch triggers). It checks for water every 2-3 minutes and pumps as long as it detects water being pumped. I'm hoping I'll get a lot more water out of the bilge with this unit. We'll see.

Thanks for the tips.

That's very interesting that the pump grenaded but, the motor continued to run w/o pumping anything out. I hope people read this thread and verify that their pump is actually pumping.