Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Ramp Idiots

MalibuBuzz

2 hours ago, electricjohn said:

I have to admit to launching at least 100 times with out putting the plug in.

I've been between jobs & recently went to work at a marina. It's funny, I feel like I know what I'm doing when it comes to launching a boat. But do it 30 times in one day & you will make an occasional mistake. Recently I left the transom straps on & was floating the trailer.

• Like 3

Made my share of mistakes...

My boat launch pet peeve is when people wait until the boat is backed into the water to start loading their stuff in!  I realize backing the boat in, straps, plugs and what not is going to cause issues for some people.  Having to wait for someone that didn't have the fore thought to put there cooler in the boat before they put it in the water is mind boggling!  That and parents that don't put jackets on there kids until they get into the boat.  

My biggest pet peeve is when jetskis are tied up to the loading dock. I am usually the only one who can drive the truck and the boat, so I like to launch next to the dock and have my kids hold the line. Too many times have jetskis been tied up and the owners just leave them there while they are out of sight. I just feel like moving them myself.

Speaking of jets skis...I had a couple dorks pull up to the dock and park in between my boat and the trailer which I am getting ready to load on to.  Literally my boat is moving towards my trailer with about 15 feet to go and they coast in between and up to the dock.  I try not to let my blood pressure get too elevated at the ramp but sometimes it's nearly impossible.     :guns:

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Sixball said:

100 times?????  I will admit I have don it but 100 times. you got to be giving us a line! :biggrin:

I edited it down from 1000!  We launched on a near daily basis and washed the boat every time requiring the removal of the plug due to the fact that we lived on polluted salt water.  I would leave the plug out till the last minute every time to get any last water out of the bilge while backing down the ramp.  I even put labels on my removable trailer lights to remind me, to no avail.  100 is a conservative estimate, and I am referring to my boat from 1970 (pic of your boat on the water, pg 79) which would get launched more than once a day quite often, when I was younger. 

Lake Lice!  I'm not a big fan either.  Although, have you ever seen an unhappy person on a jet ski?  Don't get me started on jet ski jumping ski wakes with a skier in tow.  Probably the most blatant disregard for another persons well being that can happen on the water.  It is especially un-nerving when they have no idea what they are doing is wrong.

6 hours ago, happyfeet said:

Lake Lice!  I'm not a big fan either.  Although, have you ever seen an unhappy person on a jet ski?  Don't get me started on jet ski jumping ski wakes with a skier in tow.  Probably the most blatant disregard for another persons well being that can happen on the water.  It is especially un-nerving when they have no idea what they are doing is wrong.

I actually have seen someone un-happy on a jetski, I did not think it was possible.  She is in our group and her BF convinced her to go out on a ski with the group. She does not like "nature water," aka lakes, rivers etc. We were camping on the lake for 4 days.... They stuck her on the old POS early 90's seadoo that we have tried to blow up and sink.  They were all out in the middle of the lake ~5skis and I saw them one our way back in from our ski sets.  Lets just say she was not a happy camper, I offered for her to jump in the boat and have someone else ride the ski back!

I crack up every time I hear the Dane Cook skit. "Money can buy you a jetski. Have you EVER seen some one un-happy on a jetski"

So far I have not done anything to horrible on the launch ramp. I have launched a jet ski with the plug out. I have left my phone and wallet on the swim step while I took the cover and never walked around the back of the boat and proceeded to launch. Last summer I had to jump start the 'Bu at the dock. parked it on the furthest dock with my friend and I had to run into town to get some new batteries. A few summers ago I left the out drive of my uncles I/O down in the garage and dragged it up the drive way, there is a nice strip of aluminium stuck in the concrete now!

I have been complimented by the rangers for being able to get my boat on the trailer first try in some nasty conditions where a few people needed help, so that was cool.

Edited by twitchee2

Twich! haha....I got that line from Dane.  Glad you caught it.

Most times I have the privilege of using a private ramp.  I can usually take my time putting the boat in.

Boat ramp wisdom: If the guy CANNOT back the trailer then DO NOT approach him to help.  Talk to his wife and let her tell him to get out of the truck and let someone else back it in.

10 hours ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

I've been between jobs & recently went to work at a marina. It's funny, I feel like I know what I'm doing when it comes to launching a boat. But do it 30 times in one day & you will make an occasional mistake. Recently I left the transom straps on & was floating the trailer.

Done that...

6 hours ago, tvano said:

often thought that if i were a divorce lawyer i'd hang out at the busy ramps and pass out business cards.

I think you need to discuss this with my wife.....

I was waiting for a drunken crew last year trying to get this old deck boat off. It must have been their first time out ever. The guy kept submerging his trailer past the guides hooking the boat on the bow and starting to pull out. The boat, still full of people, was sitting on top of the guide and leaning over, people screaming, jumping up and down trying to level it out. The guy backs down and does the same thing on the other side. I finally had to say something. I tell him the guides are supposed to be slightly above the water and "guide" the boat on. He had this blank stare not able to comprehend what I was telling him. The whole time his wife just kept cursing him out for buying the POS. I don't think he was going to have that boat much longer.

9 hours ago, happyfeet said:

We have a situation in our HOA now. New neighbor, has a pair of Seadoos. They rented a slip for them. Whoever sold them the boats told them they could use these stupid sandbags to tie them down, no cleats or sandspikes needed. And only these cheesy little clip on bumpers. We've had some wind the last week (maybe 20 or 25 mph), so they have left the dock multiple times, been pounded hard & beached repeatedly. I've told them twice the boats need to be secured. Today I asked them if they noticed anyone else using their stupid sandbags or clip on bumpers. She said "No". I said "That's because they don't work". :Doh:

• Like 3
formulaben

I've seen the usual follies at the ramp but the latest that comes to mind is a group of new owners trying to put the I/O onto the trailer and having issues...backing up the trailer was hard to watch but then when they were completely missing the trailer when loading the boat I thought I'd offer to help, but my gut said it would be turned down.  Next thing I know, they have one of their passengers in between the beams of the trailer just forward of the axle up to their thighs in water guiding the bow while the driver POWERS LOADS THE BOAT FORWARD... :shocked:

10 hours ago, RedOwl said:

Thanks for the blast from the past. This thread is always a good read!

Next how to build a sandwich...;)

The local lake is always a great spot and endless entertainment for 12 buckaroos.

Last year my 6 yr old and I went for a jetski ride. He said he had never been to the dam, about 30 minute ride away. So we headed down there. There is a fairly large public ramp there with courtesy docks. 

We watched a guy (bro) dunk his boat (Tahoe or similair) rev till the motor sounded like it was going to blow. Then he backed off and proceeded to "walk the dog" around the docks. Older guy in a bass boat next to the courtesy dock was about thrown out of his boat by the rollers. 

When the bro pulled back up to the dock to pick up the rest of his crew that old guy was waiting on him with what looked like a crowbar.

Back in '96 my dad bought a new sea doo gtx. We had never owned a boat or anything trailered before, and didn't practice backing up. Can't be that hard, right? We took delivery in mid March when high temps are generally in the 50's. I'll never forget the first ride we took on that thing, we had a day when forecast high was 60. We went to the closest ramp, and this ramp is always packed with fishing boats. It's a triple ramp, and dad waited 30 mins for the whole ramp to be empty. Even with a completely empty ramp it took several (probably 5) tries to get the thing in the water. We were all crooked, taking up 2 of the lanes. People standing around, dumbfounded, but nobody offered to help. 

So we get out in the bay, and dad decides he wants to check out the main channel. We ride out there (he was driving, I was in back) going full throttle. He decides to do a turn, and throws the handlebars full to the left at full throttle. We were probably going 35 or 40 MPh. Of course we get dumped in the cold water, and the sea doo is 15 ft away upside down. We finally get it turned back over, and we climb on with teeth chattering and shivering uncontrollably. I begged to go home, but he said he didn't want those fishermen to see us come back so soon. So we had to ride around til we dried off enough where it didn't look like we went swimming. Miserable day!

• Like 2

first time backing an empty jetski trailer down the ramp to load the jetski for the life of my i could not keep it strait . about every 6 foot , i put the truck in park , got out and lifted the trailer to put it strait again . after about the 6 time of getting out of the truck , the guy on the other side of the ramp (who was working on his fishing boat that would not start) come over and lifted the back of the trailer as i backed up the truck. This was after a 3 day weekend on the water and was ready to get home and sleep.