Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Ramp Idiots

MalibuBuzz

Have you ever sat and just watched people at the boat ramp? On Monday, since it was a Holiday, we had to sit and wait a long time before my husband could get the trailer to the ramp in the line up of people taking out and all the Bass Tournament people putting in. I got to sit at the dock in the boat for about 30-45 mins and just watch all the idiots at the boat ramp! There was a Ski Supreme that was ready to trailer....the idiot had no working reverse on his piece of crap boat, so had to circle around to get the boat on the trailer. Once he loaded it, he had no strap on the winch to tie to the eye hook. He has a 4 wheeler in the back of his pickup, so proceeds to unhook his tie down rachet straps on his 4-wheeler. He then straps the entire back of the boat to the trailer over the top of a tube! He takes off another rachet strap from the 4-wheeler and attaches one end to the front eye hook of the boat and the other end he hooks to the bed of his truck.....niiiceee, huh?!

Ok, so idiot #2 has a Pro Am Skier boat (another piece of crap), and for some reason he loaded the boat on the trailer so that the eye hook was over the top of the trailer roller. Ok, so the only way he can get the boat off the trailer is to have 2 guys pushing with everything they have on the front of the boat, while he has the boat in reverse at full throttle. It takes several tries and still can't get it off, so he puts it in forward, then throws it into reverse several times to rock it. while the 2 guys are pushing the front of the boat and finally get it up and over the roller. He drives past us, and the front of his boat is all chewed up...obviously he has loaded the boat on the trailer like that more than once....IDIOT!

Both these IDIOTS took forever at the ramp, holding up all the people who are in line waiting to access the ramp! Sheesh!

I swear, it was a real comic act to just sit and watch people load and unload their boats! I wish I would have videoed all the action at the ramp while I was waiting!

Why is there sooooo much boat bashing on this forum now-a-days??? Sure they might be piece of crap boats to YOU, but these people might have saved up 5 years to get that boat. Did you decide to help any of these people? Do you know how to trailer a boat and how many times did it take you before you got it right? I know when I went from owning stern drives to comp ski boats it took me a couple stabs to get it right.

Sure there are a lot of ramp idiots, we've all seen em but quit with the boat bashing...

Why is there sooooo much boat bashing on this forum now-a-days??? Sure they might be piece of crap boats to YOU, but these people might have saved up 5 years to get that boat. Did you decide to help any of these people? Do you know how to trailer a boat and how many times did it take you before you got it right? I know when I went from owning stern drives to comp ski boats it took me a couple stabs to get it right.

Sure there are a lot of ramp idiots, we've all seen em but quit with the boat bashing...

Bite me!

I agree, everybody has to start somewhere, and just because it's not a new Malibu, it maybe the best they can afford and they are on the water! I saw some folks out of gas and paddling, so I towed their boat back, no it's not as nice as mine, but hey they were enjoying the holiday up til that point. Many times I go down and help folks cause obviously they weren't instructed on the boat when sold.

I agree, everybody has to start somewhere, and just because it's not a new Malibu, it maybe the best they can afford and they are on the water! I saw some folks out of gas and paddling, so I towed their boat back, no it's not as nice as mine, but hey they were enjoying the holiday up til that point. Many times I go down and help folks cause obviously they weren't instructed on the boat when sold.

You ALL are a bunch of IDIOTS here....I am sick and tired of this website! I am NOT bashing the BOAT (even tho that is how you read it!), and it wasn't about HELPING them...it's the WAY people load their boats, ok?!?!?! Sheesh! So take that and STUFF IT where the sun don't shine!

Whoever has control, is welcome to delete this topic, along with the one I accidently double posted....I am leaving this site and from now on will NOT post here since too many of you get your panties all in such a wad!! Tease.gif

You ALL are a bunch of IDIOTS here....I am sick and tired of this website! I am NOT bashing the BOAT (even tho that is how you read it!), and it wasn't about HELPING them...it's the WAY people load their boats, ok?!?!?! Sheesh! So take that and STUFF IT where the sun don't shine!

Whoever has control, is welcome to delete this topic, along with the one I accidently double posted....I am leaving this site and from now on will NOT post here since too many of you get your panties all in such a wad!! Tease.gif

Why am I an Idiot? Crazy.gif

Easy...

I know what you mean about boat bashing, but I didn't get the sense that the OP was making judgements about the manufacturers. My take was that the "piece of crap" was more descriptive of the boat's condition in general, helping to color the story.

Maybe the default setting should be benefit of the doubt, no sense us climbing on each other here. When it is warranted, then by all means, but in my opinion this post didn't warrant the response it got.

Why am I an Idiot? Crazy.gif

Well, YOU aren't....but the ones that continally get their panties in a wad here, are! Sorry, didn't mean to include EVERYONE in the Idiot catagory...there are actually some very nice people here, and I have met in person some of them, but some of the others I could really do without!

Easy...

I know what you mean about boat bashing, but I didn't get the sense that the OP was making judgements about the manufacturers. My take was that the "piece of crap" was more descriptive of the boat's condition in general, helping to color the story.

Maybe the default setting should be benefit of the doubt, no sense us climbing on each other here. When it is warranted, then by all means, but in my opinion this post didn't warrant the response it got.

Thank you...yes, the "piece of crap" was my descriptive words of the boat's condition to color the story, not for any other reason....I appreciate your response....

I'd like to think of myself as a pretty down to earth kinda guy, and in no shape did I bash you for bashing other people. So do I need your respone calling me an idot? Boat #1 did sound pretty rough, but boat #2 just had a poor driver. Did it warrent him calling it a total piece of crap? Still didn't answer my question on if YOU even know how to dock/trailer a boat. Hope ya hit some stumps next time out, better yet someone helps you load something. Karma is a b1tch...

Personally I hope you get banned rather than never come back. My.02

Geez Souperfly.

Hope you hit some stumps? hope you get banned?

It's just a discussion board for heaven's sake.

Edited by jayjoans

This is getting exciting, like in the ol' Rutat vs 04wlsv days. Maybe we need to clarify what religion the boat ramp idiots were & how this caused their woes. Some of their problems were probably caused by their political affiliation also. Dang catholic democrats. Crazy.gif

Okay, everyone chill. First of all, every last one of us has probably sat in amusement, amazement & utter bewilderment at what we sometimes see on the boat ramp, especially on holiday weekends. I have seen enough over the years both on the ramp as well as on the water to write a novel on the subject, but the fact of the matter is that none of us, not one, is immune to the stupidity, carelessness or maybe the occasional mechanical failure that we so easily laugh at. Pride goeth before the fall.

Regarding the boat bashing that Souperfly has made reference to in more than one thread, I am aware of the issue & it's a little disheartening to see. That's not what this community was built on or was ever about. Anytime I see anyone having a good time on the water, it's a good thing. Who cares what boat they're in? They're out on the water, disconnected from the computer & boob tube. Why does it matter what their boat is & what condition it's in? And personally I think that the help issue is very pertinent. Maybe that's not what that was about, but the only reason IMO to get riled up by a ramp fiasco is because you're waiting for them to clear & if that's the case, then you should offer to help. I'll tell you one thing, I've seen more than enough people in really nice boats that haven't got a clue at how to do much of anything with them, including trailering, docking, maneuvering....you get the idea. So I guess what I'm trying to say is don't be so quick to judge & maybe lend a little helping hand where you can. You'd be surprised at what can come your way because of it. As Souperfly said, Karma can sting, but the flip side can be equally good.

That was out of line. There's no call for that whatsoever. If you can't behave better than that & continue to toss personal insults around in that manner, you will be banned with no further warning.

Rut was a canucklehead! ROFL.gif And this topic is borderline political. Didn't you know that is how folks communicate out thar in dem laykes near the hollers of Tennesee! Let the banning begin!! Thumbup.gif

Edited by rbetts
Okay, everyone chill. First of all, every last one of us has probably sat in amusement, amazement & utter bewilderment at what we sometimes see on the boat ramp, especially on holiday weekends. I have seen enough over the years both on the ramp as well as on the water to write a novel on the subject, but the fact of the matter is that none of us, not one, is immune to the stupidity, carelessness or maybe the occasional mechanical failure that we so easily laugh at. Pride goeth before the fall.

Regarding the boat bashing that Souperfly has made reference to in more than one thread, I am aware of the issue & it's a little disheartening to see. That's not what this community was built on or was ever about. Anytime I see anyone having a good time on the water, it's a good thing. Who cares what boat they're in? They're out on the water, disconnected from the computer & boob tube. Why does it matter what their boat is & what condition it's in? And personally I think that the help issue is very pertinent. Maybe that's not what that was about, but the only reason IMO to get riled up by a ramp fiasco is because you're waiting for them to clear & if that's the case, then you should offer to help. I'll tell you one thing, I've seen more than enough people in really nice boats that haven't got a clue at how to do much of anything with them, including trailering, docking, maneuvering....you get the idea. So I guess what I'm trying to say is don't be so quick to judge & maybe lend a little helping hand where you can. You'd be surprised at what can come your way because of it. As Souperfly said, Karma can sting, but the flip side can be equally good.

That was out of line. There's no call for that whatsoever. If you can't behave better than that & continue to toss personal insults around in that manner, you will be banned with no further warning.

Sorry mom, I hit reply before I got the scolding I deserved. My apologies for feeling the desire to jump into this right proper scuffle Whistling.gif

Edited by rbetts

WHEW! Got some HEAT in here these daze!

Regarding Boater #2....... a number of years ago my brother had an 88 MC Prostar 190. The POS trailer he had was the one with the big metal bar to lock on the bow ring..... some of you old schoolers will remember it. Anytime we backed the trailer in even a little bit too deep, the bow ring would get hung up on the V bunk & it was about impossible to get off the trailer. Unless two guys were leaning on it & the driver gased it in reverse...... or we just pulled the trailer out a little bit. The stern would drop a bit & raise the bow ring up so it would clear the V bunk.

Maybe next time someone will offer a suggestion to help the rookies out a bit.

If it makes anyone feel better I've seen piece of crap Malibu's.

And yeah , some idiot always pisses me off at the ramp. using the courtesy ramp for there private dock or loading all the in laws and their gear after they launch right in the way of everyone else that has there boat and crew ready to go, or deciding the best time to check the battery is after the boat slides off the trailer and then SURPRISE find out their neglected POS has a dead battery and then ask me for a jump or the ones that have to launch using ropes all over the busy ramp blocking at least two lanes untill the truck/trailer driver comes back.

Everytime I go there's always one,I just make sure it's not me. Biggrin.gif

Who cares what boat they're in? They're out on the water, disconnected from the computer & boob tube. Why does it matter what their boat is & what condition it's in?

So true, unless they are towing a tube on MY smooth butter, then if they are, they should be at home Biggrin.gif

I'll tell you one thing, I've seen more than enough people in really nice boats that haven't got a clue at how to do much of anything with them, including trailering, docking, maneuvering....you get the idea.

Exactly, happens every weekend multiple times. I sure wish dealers would give people a short etiquette lesson upon delivery or sheet of what constitutes etiquette.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is don't be so quick to judge & maybe lend a little helping hand where you can. You'd be surprised at what can come your way because of it. As Souperfly said, Karma can sting, but the flip side can be equally good.

Exactly. I promise you will need someone's help one day.

We have been extremely lucky so far, but I know the day is coming where I will need the help of a kind soul on the water, the ramp or the dock. The boating community is just that...a community. It's one of the few places where random acts of kindness still occur. The other day, I was walking down to the dock to put the boat away for a few weeks (waaaa!), and an older couple with an older Sea-Ray couldn't get their boat lift to go down. It was an older lift and just needed a little encouragement. Anyway, I've never met them before in my life, and I could see that they were getting a little impatient waiting for the lift to lower. So, I dropped my cover (Covercrafts, excellent), I dropped the 3 bottles of Babe's stuff (sublime, especially the spot solver), the bottle of Windex, the bottle of 303, the three rags (one for the Windex, one for the spot solver, one for the seat soap and the 303), and I just walked over to their slip. I told them that with my 200 pounds of finely-tuned muscle (most of it in my head), that I could probably stand on the back of the lift and encourage a little movement. They thought I was funny, and probably thought they'd get a chance to see a re-enactment of that scene from Titanic when the boat sinks and takes the people into the watery vortex with it, so they let me. Sure enough, a couple of bounces, and the tanks started filling with water and lowering. I deftly jumped back on the dock before meeting my doom, they thanked me, and we told each other to have a nice day. Ten minutes later, the nice woman came over and brought me a cold Diet Coke (wonder why she thought I should drink Diet?), and thanked me for the help. The Diet Coke hit the spot, and I got to meet a very nice couple who own a condo in the same complex. I guarantee they would help me next time I need it.

Same trip, a few days before, I saw a younger guy take his boat into his rented slip a little too fast. I wasn't close enough to help him avoid it, but I saw him put the nose into the front of the slip hard and nick the heck out of the nose of his boat (an older and smaller Sea-Ray). He looked genuinely embarrassed as I ran over to help him tie it off, and although he thanked me, I could tell he didn't like making mistakes in front of his wife and kids. I know the feeling. I made a joke and told him if he wanted real comedy to come back around 8:00 that night with some lawn chairs and a pitcher of margaritas and watch me drive my boat onto my lift. It lightened the mood quickly and we had some nice small talk. The next day, he held my boat for me at the gas dock and we made some more small talk. Sometimes, I'm not a nice person, and I make mistakes as a worker, a husband and a father. But when I'm around the water and around my boat and family, I feel very lucky, and it makes me do nice things for people. I only wish I was that way more often when I'm away from the water.

Look, I know I'm clumsy, and I know that I will need the help of strangers many times as an avid boater. Even if I wasn't clumsy, the water can make for a lousy and unpredictable dance partner sometimes, and things happen to the best of boaters that you just can't always avoid. I just hope that when my day comes, that the boating community is there to help me. I'm glad that we are allowed to express our opinions on this site, and that we are allowed to express our frustrations with those boaters who may not share our standards. I hope we always remember that we are part of a unique group of people who enjoy the good life, good friends, the water, and the responsibilities that go along with them.

Ewww, I sound like a John Tesh song. I better go wash my hands and get a cup of black coffee.

This is ALL I am going to write on this topic, and from here on out, I doubt I will do much posting, if any, anymore on this website. As far as banning me, do what you gotta do.....I am not here to pick fights...I actually find this message board useful and amusing at times.

I wrote the "story" in the first place for people to get a chuckle out of watching people at the boat ramp and how they fanagle boats on and off their trailers. I was not bashing any boat owner in particular, nor any brand of boat. "Helping" the two people I told about, was out of the question - they all had enough "help". I am sorry if I have offended so many people. What I have learned is that people are far too vicious here, jump to conclusions and eat you right up, along with giving lectures on the subject....that is what I don't appreciate! Lighten up and try to see some humor in what people write before you jump on their case.

ol TNVLX every website takes a while to get the personalities down. Understand there are a lot of grouchy ol slalom skiers that are irritated that wakeboarding even exists. Biggrin.gifTongue.gif Stick around, grow a thicker skin, kill the perosnal insults, it will all be good.

This is ALL I am going to write on this topic, and from here on out, I doubt I will do much posting, if any, anymore on this website. As far as banning me, do what you gotta do.....I am not here to pick fights...I actually find this message board useful and amusing at times.

I wrote the "story" in the first place for people to get a chuckle out of watching people at the boat ramp and how they fanagle boats on and off their trailers. I was not bashing any boat owner in particular, nor any brand of boat. "Helping" the two people I told about, was out of the question - they all had enough "help". I am sorry if I have offended so many people. What I have learned is that people are far too vicious here, jump to conclusions and eat you right up, along with giving lectures on the subject....that is what I don't appreciate! Lighten up and try to see some humor in what people write before you jump on their case.

Dude. Not a lecture. Sorry if you took it that way. Just want you to know that as far as I'm concerned, your stories are all part of the landscape. I hope to see you on the water. I have the navy and yellow Sunsetter at Shanghai Point on Norris Lake if you're ever around those parts.