Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Ramp Idiots

MalibuBuzz

The crazy ramp is one of the main reasons I avoid the lake on holiday weekends. I usually find that it is the people with the newer boats that have more trouble at the ramps. Maybe it's because they are new to boating and don't really know what they are doing wrong. It seems like new boaters always have new boats, nowadays. Anyway, some people will take a little advice on ramp ettiquette, some won't. Either way, I usually try to be patient with them. The experienced boaters that should know better, that is a different story.

I'm glad I use the ramp only twice a year. On thos occasions I have seen some wild concepts in trailering. It's all good though, seeing people out recreating prudently....

When we got our first boat, I decided to head out to the ramp to see "how it was done" before taking our boat to the ramp. Wow, I learned alot ; I learned what not to do, I learned new words and ways to use them, and I learned that I could succesfully block a ramp by not being prepared. Well, this started a tradition that we have enjoyed for 20+ years- grabbing some food and few cold ones and having a "picnic" at a local ramp on a busy day..... I have laughed until I almost wet myself, I have watched experienced boaters get their rigs in and out of the the ramp in a matter of minutes, and I have had to stop myself from yelling at some idiot that was filling his boat with 5 gas cans while blocking a ramp..... Yes, it can be terribly frustrating to have to wait for unprepared people who have no clue that they are taking way too much time getting in and out of the water.

There are people out there that have no business taking a boat to a public ramp (IMHO), and they are not the people that are learning or are having problems. These people are the inconsiderate folks that will literally block a ramp for a long period of time ----- because they want to...... I consider myself lucky to have a slip and lift so I don't have to frequent the local ramps.

But, there is good in everything if you look hard enough.... Heck, with all the new words and phrases I have learned, I have expanded my limited vocabulary......

ol TNVLX every website takes a while to get the personalities down. Understand there are a lot of grouchy ol slalom skiers that are irritated that wakeboarding even exists. Biggrin.gifTongue.gif Stick around, grow a thicker skin, kill the perosnal insults, it will all be good.

NOW we're getting personal! I am very much affected by your comments. I am definitely a slalom skier (nobody said I was a good one), and perhaps grouchy every once in a great while, but Ol???? I certainly hope not.

I do so enjoy spending some quality time watching the show at the ramp. Some of the idiotic things that occur simply amaze me. However, when I do go just to watch the show, I make an overt effort to help as many as I can because anything I can teach them will make it easier for them next time and help to relieve the pressure on the ramps. Also, I hope that my willinginess to help unknown others for no particular reason may spread. Kind of a Pay It Forward kind of thing. If only the whole world could work in this fashion . . . .

My brother works for a Tige Dealer and he is their delivery captain. When someone takes delivery of their new boat he spends anywhere from an hour to most of the day with them until they are comfortable knowing and demonstrating all the things they need to know about their boats. Good Idea.

This is ALL I am going to write on this topic, and from here on out, I doubt I will do much posting, if any, anymore on this website. As far as banning me, do what you gotta do.....I am not here to pick fights...I actually find this message board useful and amusing at times.

I wrote the "story" in the first place for people to get a chuckle out of watching people at the boat ramp and how they fanagle boats on and off their trailers. I was not bashing any boat owner in particular, nor any brand of boat. "Helping" the two people I told about, was out of the question - they all had enough "help". I am sorry if I have offended so many people. What I have learned is that people are far too vicious here, jump to conclusions and eat you right up, along with giving lectures on the subject....that is what I don't appreciate! Lighten up and try to see some humor in what people write before you jump on their case.

So don't take stuff so seriously, I took you to be pretty negative as well, but I can understand the whole context thing of the web. Don't worry about it and keep on lurking for a while, and remember alll the help you got in the past in picking out your board, and on other topics you've mentioned in the past. :)

I was sitting at a public ramp watching the show when two fishermen came in. The bottom of the boat littered with beer cans. One gets the car and trailer backed in and the other starts to line the boat up. The driver gets out and try's to pull the winch cable out. No go its all rusted up so he takes his hat off dips a hat full of water over the winch and ya it frees it up enoughf to get it to move. Now the boat is crossed up so one starts to wade in and hold the boat in line. with the wind blowing he is not succsssful so he goes in deeper. Now standing in the water near shoulder deep and still struggling the other one goes in to help. he is now nearly as deep when the first one sees his cigarettes float to the surface.

" OH sh-- I FORGOT my SMOKES ". The other starts to laugh and than you see this serious look come over his face. Oh sh-- I forgot my wallet!!!!! The other one laughfs till he realizes he is in the same boat.

Now an old cuple waiting to load take over and have the small fishing boat on the trailer in a couple of minutes. Yahoo.gifROFL.gifROFL.gifROFL.gif

I'm never on the ramp for more than 30 seconds. My 'Bu is ready to go when we get to the ramp...I unhook the bow strap as we get to the water and by buddy dips the trailer, I float off, he goes and parks the truck. To pick up, trailer into the water, float on, hook the bow and we're outta there! 30 seconds, tops! We do all of our setup/tear down in the STAGING areas!

This is ALL I am going to write on this topic, and from here on out, I doubt I will do much posting, if any, anymore on this website.

Seems to me I read this in an earlier post. Dontknow.gif

One thing I learned early on this site and its predecessor, is folks don't take to kindly to an elitist attitude.

One must very careful in their choice of words since the reader's don't have the luxury of reading facial expressions to determine the writer's seriousness.

I hope you stay on, continue to post, and chaulk this up as a learning experience. I for one enjoy reading the female perspective on this site. You gottta remember though, this is kinda like the guy's locker room, and like somone said earlier, a little thicker skin goes a long way.

I'm never on the ramp for more than 30 seconds. My 'Bu is ready to go when we get to the ramp...I unhook the bow strap as we get to the water and by buddy dips the trailer, I float off, he goes and parks the truck. To pick up, trailer into the water, float on, hook the bow and we're outta there! 30 seconds, tops! We do all of our setup/tear down in the STAGING areas!

That's the way the wife and I are. 30 Seconds tops. We have a ramp that is two wide. It frustrates me most when people back in the middle taking up both spaces or the one that ties his boat to the walk way and lets it float around blocking both ramps rather than the other side of the walkway. Mad.gif I bite my tounge most of the time and just shake my head. Occasionally I give them the are you stupid look and shrug my shoulders and they know what I'm insinuating.

Other than that I can deal with most of the rest as long as we have room to back down. I like it when the men comment on my wifes backing ability and how fast we launch and load.

Edited by Sunset_Bob

I forgot a classic and just saw it again 3 weeks ago. I always get a kick out of the IO that pulls out with the out drive down and dragging up the ramp with no clue. Now thats a knee slapper. :lol:

I'm sure we have all witnessed a comedy at the ramps, if not then you haven't been boating for that long. It's just part of the culture and people you have to deal with, and no one should get so butt hurt over small little things like that.

I don't think anything can be as scary as this:

I'm walking back from parking the trailer this last weekend and my driver is out away from the docks waiting for me, as I'm walking down I can smell gas "really bad" and notice that this 30' or so (don't know what brand boat) daycruiser was still there with the cover up. The guy starts the boat and it's "not" running right at all blowing black smoke out and all, I'm finally getting closer to the end of the dock where he is tied up when I noticed he has a broken fuel line and has filled the bottom of the hull up with gas Crazy.gif

I stand back in complete amazement that this is happening, the guy goes back to the engine compartment and yells out "$HIT", runs back to the gauge panel and shuts off the motor. Meanwhile, I'm waiting for my boat to show up so I can jump aboard and the guy tells his wife, "I can't believe we almost blew ourselves up, we have a bad spark plug wire from last year" Now I'm getting very nervous and I wanted to say, "Why didn't you check and run this at home" but instead I just keep quite cause all I want to do now is get off that fricken dock. As I'm getting on my boat I hear the lady say, "How are you going to dump the fuel out in the water?" the guy yells back "shut up stupid, I'm not supposed to do that but I'll find a way".

That statement of how are you going to dump the fuel out, really left a bad thought in my mind. I thought about calling the sheriff, but what are they really going to do? All I could think about and wonder is, why our water ways are polluted by mostly "stupid" people like that, I don't get upset with people that do not have great boating skills or block other people because they are having trouble. But when you have obvious problems that need to be taken care of out of the water and are just to lazy to deal with it or think you can ignore them because you want to be out having a good time Mad.gif , that is what gets me pisses me off "IGNORANCE and LAZY people".

So I hope that everyone can take a step back and think about that, maybe next time you see someone having trouble you'll be more patient and realize that not all of us are perfect in this world.

Edited by 68Slalom
I do so enjoy spending some quality time watching the show at the ramp. Some of the idiotic things that occur simply amaze me. However, when I do go just to watch the show, I make an overt effort to help as many as I can because anything I can teach them will make it easier for them next time and help to relieve the pressure on the ramps. Also, I hope that my willinginess to help unknown others for no particular reason may spread. Kind of a Pay It Forward kind of thing. If only the whole world could work in this fashion . . . .

My brother works for a Tige Dealer and he is their delivery captain. When someone takes delivery of their new boat he spends anywhere from an hour to most of the day with them until they are comfortable knowing and demonstrating all the things they need to know about their boats. Good Idea.

I also enjoy a good ramp show, but I've also contributed to it occasionally. I'm sure any ramp fans in the bleachers would have enjoyed my premature launch after pledging the bunks and unhooking the bow strap, luckily no damage was done as it hit the water okay. They also would have split their guts as I was teaching my wife to trailer the boat. I backed it down part way and then got out to check something. She was so intent on driving on right that she put it in gear and headed toward the trailer without it even being in the water. The screaming and arm/hand motions must have been hilarious. The best laugh would have come when the ramp watchers would have seen me drag my anchor rope and sand spike up the ramp and across the parking lot because I forgot and left it sitting on the swimdeck when we loaded. I was in the boat and my father in law was driving the suburban. I heard the sound of dragging metal and looked back to see the heavy metal sandspike bouncing and skipping at the end of 100 feet of rope. Anyway, my point is that we all sometimes have something go wrong periodically that is funny as long as no one is watching! I have a very nice boat and it draws a lot of compliments and ooohs and aaawws and actually makes me look like a better boater than I probably am!

That's the way the wife and I are. 30 Seconds tops. We have a ramp that is two wide. It frustrates me most when people back in the middle taking up both spaces or the one that ties his boat to the walk way and lets it float around blocking both ramps rather than the other side of the walkway. Mad.gif I bite my tounge most of the time and just shake my head. Occasionally I give them the are you stupid look and shrug my shoulders and they know what I'm insinuating.

Other than that I can deal with most of the rest as long as we have room to back down. I like it when the men comment on my wifes backing ability and how fast we launch and load.

Plus1.gif

i'm still learning to launch and put the trailer on the boat so i'm not savy in any way but i definitely do appreciate it when other boats that are waiting for their driver to come down or their tow vehicle to keep the ramp open. this weekend while the hubby went to get the truck, i stayed far out in the no wake zone only to have two separate boats come cruising in with wakes - rude IMO to send rollers like that....and scary because like i said, i'm new to the boat driving gig and so my responses aren't as quick and i was scared that too much water would come over the bow. as he came down the ramp, there was a boat that got on it's trailer fairly quickly but then took what seemed like forever to pull out - did they pull out? yes. did they go up the ramp? no! they just pulled to the side a bit just to wipe their boat off. as my hubby said to them they need to wipe off in the staging area, they said "we're going to put the boat back in" - we didn't understand why they were doing that but it's frustrating when people aren't aware of their surroundings and all others on the water.

for all you experienced boat drivers - which obviously is the majority - please remember that us little folk newbie drivers appreciate your help and courtesy :) !! and for those 2 drivers that sent rollers my way this weekend, Mad.gif !!

If it helps at all.. I'm an idiot

I doubt that. Here's the definition of an "idiot":

Mental deficiency used to be divided into the following sub-classifications, but these labels began to be abused by the public and are now largely obsolete: Borderline Deficiency (IQ 70-80), Moron (IQ 50-69), Imbecile (IQ 20-49 and Idiot (below 20). Mental deficiency is now generally called mental retardation.

I'm sure we have all witnessed a comedy at the ramps, if not then you haven't been boating for that long. It's just part of the culture and people you have to deal with, and no one should get so butt hurt over small little things like that.

I'm walking back from parking the trailer this last weekend and my driver is out away from the docks waiting for me, as I'm walking down I can smell gas "really bad" and notice that this 30' or so (don't know what brand boat) daycruiser was still there with the cover up. The guy starts the boat and it's "not" running right at all blowing black smoke out and all, I'm finally getting closer to the end of the dock where he is tied up when I noticed he has a broken fuel line and has filled the bottom of the hull up with gas Crazy.gif

I stand back in complete amazement that this is happening, the guy goes back to the engine compartment and yells out "$HIT", runs back to the gauge panel and shuts off the motor. Meanwhile, I'm waiting for my boat to show up so I can jump aboard and the guy tells his wife, "I can't believe we almost blew ourselves up, we have a bad spark plug wire from last year" Now I'm getting very nervous and I wanted to say, "Why didn't you check and run this at home" but instead I just keep quite cause all I want to do now is get off that fricken dock. As I'm getting on my boat I hear the lady say, "How are you going to dump the fuel out in the water?" the guy yells back "shut up stupid, I'm not supposed to do that but I'll find a way".

That statement of how are you going to dump the fuel out, really left a bad thought in my mind. I thought about calling the sheriff, but what are they really going to do? All I could think about and wonder is, why our water ways are polluted by mostly "stupid" people like that, I don't get upset with people that do not have great boating skills or block other people because they are having trouble. But when you have obvious problems that need to be taken care of out of the water and are just to lazy to deal with it or think you can ignore them because you want to be out having a good time Mad.gif , that is what gets me pisses me off "IGNORANCE and LAZY people".

So I hope that everyone can take a step back and think about that, maybe next time you see someone having trouble you'll be more patient and realize that not all of us are perfect in this world.

Please don't take this as a slam because I do not mean it as such, but with total idiots as described in your story, you really should have called the Sherriff. If they dumped what was probably a large quantity of gas illegally into the water that is bad for fish, swimmers etc., but it is also a really dangerous situation for others hanging around the ramp and water smoking cigarettes, not knowing what danger lurks in the water. It takes a lot for me to call the cops on someone, but this guy's total lack of significant intelligence certainly would have qualified.

Same for my wife and I. Maybe one minute (I must not be quite as good as others on this site ROFL.gif ). But practice does make perfect Thumbup.gif

Please don't take this as a slam because I do not mean it as such, but with total idiots as described in your story, you really should have called the Sherriff. If they dumped what was probably a large quantity of gas illegally into the water that is bad for fish, swimmers etc., but it is also a really dangerous situation for others hanging around the ramp and water smoking cigarettes, not knowing what danger lurks in the water. It takes a lot for me to call the cops on someone, but this guy's total lack of significant intelligence certainly would have qualified.

"I know", I totally agree with you. I did happen to say, "his boat is full of gas" "really loud" so other people would hear and I was hoping that it would get his and someone elses attention, but to be honest all I could think about was getting as far away from him as I could and hoped that he wouldn't be that stupid to actually dump the gas in the water. Calling the Sheriff would have meant that I had proof something was done or happened, I didn't actually see him do anything. I guess you just had to be there, it's just like when we went camping with some friends and they were filling up their sea doo's. Great people and wouldn't think of doing any harm to anyone, well they overfilled one and water was completely diluted with gas. It caught all of us, plus the camp members around off guard and we didn't know what to do or say, but it acutally happened right in front of us and what could we do. All I said, was next time you need to pull those things out of the water to do that, but everyone brings their gas cans down to the water to fill their PWC's up the same way. I don't know how many times that happens to people but I'm sure it does, it has never happened to me but I'm sure it could some day Dontknow.gif

We have been extremely lucky so far, but I know the day is coming where I will need the help of a kind soul on the water, the ramp or the dock. The boating community is just that...a community. It's one of the few places where random acts of kindness still occur. The other day, I was walking down to the dock to put the boat away for a few weeks (waaaa!), and an older couple with an older Sea-Ray couldn't get their boat lift to go down. It was an older lift and just needed a little encouragement. Anyway, I've never met them before in my life, and I could see that they were getting a little impatient waiting for the lift to lower. So, I dropped my cover (Covercrafts, excellent), I dropped the 3 bottles of Babe's stuff (sublime, especially the spot solver), the bottle of Windex, the bottle of 303, the three rags (one for the Windex, one for the spot solver, one for the seat soap and the 303), and I just walked over to their slip. I told them that with my 200 pounds of finely-tuned muscle (most of it in my head), that I could probably stand on the back of the lift and encourage a little movement. They thought I was funny, and probably thought they'd get a chance to see a re-enactment of that scene from Titanic when the boat sinks and takes the people into the watery vortex with it, so they let me. Sure enough, a couple of bounces, and the tanks started filling with water and lowering. I deftly jumped back on the dock before meeting my doom, they thanked me, and we told each other to have a nice day. Ten minutes later, the nice woman came over and brought me a cold Diet Coke (wonder why she thought I should drink Diet?), and thanked me for the help. The Diet Coke hit the spot, and I got to meet a very nice couple who own a condo in the same complex. I guarantee they would help me next time I need it.

I'm not sure why, but I have a sudden urge to go shopping.

;)

Mental deficiency used to be divided into the following sub-classifications, but these labels began to be abused by the public and are now largely obsolete: Borderline Deficiency (IQ 70-80), Moron (IQ 50-69), Imbecile (IQ 20-49 and Idiot (below 20). Mental deficiency is now generally called mental retardation.

So what's you're point? Dontknow.gifCrazy.gif

So what's you're point? Dontknow.gifCrazy.gif

It means your not an Idiot, your Mentally retarded Tease.gif