Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

No power to fuel pump

I've got a 2001 Response LX that doesn't seem to be getting power to the fuel pump. I've checked the fuses, electrical connections, and replaced the fuel pump relay. I have power running to two of the 4 wires in the relay. If the electrical diagram that I've got is correct, they appear to be the lines that run to/from the fuses. The other two would be to the pump and the ECM and have no power to them when checked with a multimeter. I'm scared that it might be the ECM again, which I just had to replace in 2005. Anyone have any other ideas before I take it into the dealer?

Thanks,

Kris

Check the fuel pump ground. That would be the black wire coming off the fuel pump. The grey (?) wire on the fuel pump is the +12 volts controlled by the relay. More later.

I've got a 2001 Response LX that doesn't seem to be getting power to the fuel pump. I've checked the fuses, electrical connections, and replaced the fuel pump relay. I have power running to two of the 4 wires in the relay. If the electrical diagram that I've got is correct, they appear to be the lines that run to/from the fuses. The other two would be to the pump and the ECM and have no power to them when checked with a multimeter. I'm scared that it might be the ECM again, which I just had to replace in 2005. Anyone have any other ideas before I take it into the dealer?

Thanks,

Kris

Looking at the wiring diagram, it looks like the EFI relay sends power to the fuel pump relay for the fuel pump via the fuel pump fuse. So see if the EFI relay is working upon key up. It has 2 reds, a pink, and black wire going to it. The fuel pump relay has 2 pinks, a green/white, and a grey wire going to it. If you put your finger on them you should be able to feel them click when they get energized. Good luck and keep us posted. Both relays should click upon key up, but the fuel pump relay will drop out after two seconds if you do not crank the motor. It is grounded by the the ECM via the grn/wht wire, which controls the relay by grounding it.

Edited by electricjohn
  • 8 years later...

If the ecm is faulty and not sending the signal to the relay, you may want to consider using a oil pressure safety switch wired to the fuel pump relay and starter crank wire to power the fuel pump. That is how motors with a carb and electric fuel pump work.  Better than replacing an ECM in my opinion.