Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Crazy Supra Owners!

meb885

so i'm out on Sylvan Lake today with my Echelon and a Buddy's VLX. we're taking advantage of the fact the lake has a course on it havin some fun....when i see one of my friend's buddies callin at us from his Supra 20SS (Not SSV)....

I took one look at his boat and coughed CHEAP..... i think he heard me...woops. anyways... he goes DUDES! YOU GUYS GOTTA CHECK OUT THIS NEW THING CALLED WAKESURFING!!!!!! im like uhhhhh i can surf....... (im no pro but i can stay up no prob) he was mildly sad that he wasnt the 1st person in the world to be doing it but he asked if i wanted to jump on to add some human ballast...we tied off our 2 boats and said sure..... (all the while im thinking.... can we please take the VLX) we get going and there is like NOOOOOOO WAKE and whats there is....... s***TY....looked like 98% propwash....it was totally not ridable.....but he was trying! we stopped one of his buddies wake boarded and the wake for that sucked too....crazy direct drive trying to do a V-Drives job..... after i was like "hey...want to go ropeless try the same thing on the Malibu"

needless to say he wants a VLX now. i really think my echelon would of thrown a better surf wake with some fat sacs then his Supra with the wake plate, ballast, extra sacs and everything. Surfing.gif

To top it off as we were parting ways water started GUSHING out of his bilge...... he opened his bilge to find he was slowly sinking! GO SUPRA! no working bilge pump either! Oops.gifLame.gif

We surfed behind my Dad's Supra 24SSV a few weeks ago, and I think it threw an awesome wake for surfing, at least on the goofy side. We were only using the stock ballast (500 in the surfside rear locker and 1200 in the center/front), plus I threw in an extra 400 lb fat sac in the surfside rear locker. The wake was really long, but not really tall, but it had a nice shape and a great curl to it. I think it would've been much better if I had brought along more ballast sacks. We could've made the regular side surfable with more weight.

One thing that I did notice is that the rooster tail behind that thing is nutty. It was throwing a pretty big rooster tail even at 10-12 mph. Probably has something to do with the position of the wakeplate or the swim platform.

Also, I think the overall build quality isn't as good as some of the newer Malibu's I've been in. There's just a lot of weird shimmies and shakes, and loose pieces that should never come loose, like the bow handles and such. It's still a nice boat, though, and I would be proud to own it.

It doesn't compare in any way to the 247 that I surfed behind last weekend. Saweet! Then again, that's the nicest boat I've ever been in, bar none.

I think you'd have difficulties getting a great surf wake out of a direct drive from any manufacturer. There's just not enough room back there to get much weight into. Your buddy really should've gotten a v-drive of some sort if he's going to be surfing a lot. Oh well, we live and we learn!

My buddy has a Supra 20 SSV and everytime we go to the lake i beg to take my Malibu. I'd consider myself an intermediate surfer and going ropeless behind his boat with an additional 440lbs in the bow is a chore. My wife on the other hand doesn't mind his wake because she's just learning to surf and she finds it easier to control her board on his pissy little wake compared to the tsunami our VLX will throw. Go big or go home Clap.gif

We surfed behind my Dad's Supra 24SSV a few weeks ago,

I think you'd have difficulties getting a great surf wake out of a direct drive from any manufacturer. There's just not enough room back there to get much weight into. Your buddy really should've gotten a v-drive of some sort if he's going to be surfing a lot. Oh well, we live and we learn!

the 24 is a V-Drive....and 24 feet long...it WILL throw a better surf wake.....anywhere.

I agree to a point about the direct drive thing.... i think there are pix in the "surf wake" topic that show someone with a 96 sunsetter getting a decent surf wake (no 247 wake but hey....give a boat credit where its due)

Just Like a V-Drive with a tower should be used for wakeboarding i saw someone sell an Echelon with a Wedge, Sacs, and a Ski Pole Extension that used to board with it ALL the time. Some boats (Malibus) are just more versatile.

I still really want to get a VTX with all ballast and some added weight to get the best of both.

Oh. and my boat has never leaked so bad it gradually started to sink....and its a 94...not this guys 2004.

I ride behind a friends 07 Supra 21 V Gravity Games and it has an awesome surf wake and the wakeboard wake is second to none. I think Supra has really stepped up their game.

so i'm out on Sylvan Lake today with my Echelon and a Buddy's VLX. we're taking advantage of the fact the lake has a course on it havin some fun....when i see one of my friend's buddies callin at us from his Supra 20SS (Not SSV)....

I took one look at his boat and coughed CHEAP..... i think he heard me...woops. anyways... he goes DUDES! YOU GUYS GOTTA CHECK OUT THIS NEW THING CALLED WAKESURFING!!!!!! im like uhhhhh i can surf....... (im no pro but i can stay up no prob) he was mildly sad that he wasnt the 1st person in the world to be doing it but he asked if i wanted to jump on to add some human ballast...we tied off our 2 boats and said sure..... (all the while im thinking.... can we please take the VLX) we get going and there is like NOOOOOOO WAKE and whats there is....... s***TY....looked like 98% propwash....it was totally not ridable.....but he was trying! we stopped one of his buddies wake boarded and the wake for that sucked too....crazy direct drive trying to do a V-Drives job..... after i was like "hey...want to go ropeless try the same thing on the Malibu"

needless to say he wants a VLX now. i really think my echelon would of thrown a better surf wake with some fat sacs then his Supra with the wake plate, ballast, extra sacs and everything. Surfing.gif

To top it off as we were parting ways water started GUSHING out of his bilge...... he opened his bilge to find he was slowly sinking! GO SUPRA! no working bilge pump either! Oops.gifLame.gif

Is this a forum for discussing boating and watersports? Or is this a forum for dogging out anyone that owns a different boat than you? This right here is why I get irritated with some of the Uppity a** Bu owners. Be thankful for what you have and don't make it a point to try and make fun of everyone else just so you can feel bigger. Lame.gifLame.gif

Just my opinion, but try working on being a better person before you go making fun of those that have less you than you.

Greg

Hey Spack, I'm so glad you made your post. I agree.

As I was reading the above thread, I was getting the feeling that this was a bunch of arrogant/snobby kids with ego's bigger than they deserve. Didn't feel like the good old The Crew that I joined several years ago.

I understand fun....but this wasn't fun....it was just plain rude.

Thanks for posting.

I took one look at his boat and coughed CHEAP..... i think he heard me...woops. crazy direct drive trying to do a V-Drives job.....
We surfed behind my Dad's Supra 24SSV a few weeks ago,

I agree to a point about the direct drive thing.... i think there are pix in the "surf wake" topic that show someone with a 96 sunsetter getting a decent surf wake (no 247 wake but hey....give a boat credit where its due)Oh. and my boat has never leaked so bad it gradually started to sink....and its a 94...not this guys 2004.

A direct drive doing a V drives job??? That is one of the most insane, stupid comments I've ever seen posted on this board! And when was the last time a $30k plus boat was considered cheap? Sure I'd love to have a V-drive, and will own one sooner or later, but dont hate. Your echalon is probably worth half of that Supra and Supras are good quality boats!

Btw Sunsetter you are talking about is mine, and yes I surf it probably more than wakeboard of it. I was out with some guys from www.gcwa.com this past weekend. These guys were pulling everything from Mexican rolls to Air Raleys to Fashion Air's into the flats, all behind this direct drive that is doing a V-drive's job... Idiot...

As I was reading the above thread, I was getting the feeling that this was a bunch of arrogant/snobby kids with ego's bigger than they deserve. Didn't feel like the good old The Crew that I joined several years ago.

Thanks for posting.

I agree and it sucks! I'll always be a supporting member of this website, but people like this make me visit it less everytime. Mad.gif

Here's a pic of this measly little direct drives wakesurf.... Go to www.wakeworld.com , they love to bash other boats and people...

post-1604-1188511291_thumb.jpg

Hey Spack, I'm so glad you made your post. I agree.

Thanks for posting.

Hey Doug, hopefully the fact that the positive/realistic posters in this thread outnumber the negative posters will restore your faith in the crew at least a little!

For the Record. If this was the ONLY supra i have ever seen with problems i would not have said anything. I looked at EVERY brand (Supra/Moomba, Mastercraft, Various Nautiques, just about EVERYTHING) i have seen some cool tricks on the water being towed by a Supra, but i have seen more people complain about them just on the 2 area lakes im on then have been happy. Maybe its just poor service in the area. While i may be young i am NOT stuck up....i am driving around in a 94 Echelon.... not like im complaining that they dont have a 08 VLX like me....cuz i don't... and yeah that supra might be worth more than my Echelon but at least i can get a decent 3 event wake out of my boat....this guy couldnt even get a wakeboard wake.

And Souperfly--- Regarding your Sunsetter..... i was standing up for the fact that some direct drives can do just fine.....that other person was talking about how they SHOULD have bought a V-Drive.... i have nothing but respect for what you are doing.

To Anyone i have offended, i am sorry, i am only going by what i have seen with my own 2 eyes in this area.

i think this covers everything.

-Mark

We just sold our 22 SSV and bought a 23 LSV the only reason for the change is more room. The New Supra drivers seat was not a comfy as the LSV but after having both and working through the engine problems on the LSV (hammerhead - timing, cam adjustment, coil no spark leaving us to be towed in 2 times) We still like the LSV better.

OK, so last year we finally decided to upgrade. Waaaaay back in 1988 I bought a brand new Supra Comp. The boat was outstanding for us for 18 years. The ski wake was still phenomenal. The wake wake was, well it was a ski wake even with a sack. Since I was writing the check, I decided to look at wake boats. Bigger, longer, wider more cavernous interior than an itty-bitty closed bow 3-event boat on a big lake. Looked at Moomba and Supra at the local dealer and decided to look at the Malibu at another local dealer. (Also looked at Mastercraft for good measure.) Well, I figured a boat nailing the bank account for around 50 large is going to be fairly comparable across brands. The Bu dealer wanted to make a sale and we had many conversations. The Moomba gravity games, well, he never even offered to take the cover off or even called me back.

OK, so after that history, It's owner preference and perogative to spend his/her hard earned money. I drive a Harley and pull the trailer with a Chevy. I don't squawk about Ford and Honda folks. Their choice. I don't look at Wakeworld much anymore because of the venomous brand loyalty. My Supra was an awesome boat. Well built, solid, never a mechanical failure. I don't think it was just luck.

OK, so look at my # of posts. I'm a lurker, not a writer, but had to speak out here. Credit to Spack for calling it out. Keep it friendly and informative. That's why I keep coming back. Who knows what brand will be there to help you out of a pickle sometime. Tease.gif

:thankyou: I'm done for now

Supra builds a good boat. When I bought my SLXi it was the best boat in that configuaration and size. Supra built a smaller boat (legacy it think). Its only negative in my eyes was the size. Nothing wrong with the build quality. When it comes time to replace my Bu, I will look at the boats in the size and configuration I need and then buy the best boat that fits my needs. If its a Supra, so be it. If its a MC, oh crap!!!! Yahoo.gif

Those who think Bu's are flawless need to think again. When you look at the options, any boat is better than no boat. Ok, well, maybe not a Bayliner.

OK, so last year we finally decided to upgrade. Waaaaay back in 1988 I bought a brand new Supra Comp. The boat was outstanding for us for 18 years. The ski wake was still phenomenal. The wake wake was, well it was a ski wake even with a sack. Since I was writing the check, I decided to look at wake boats. Bigger, longer, wider more cavernous interior than an itty-bitty closed bow 3-event boat on a big lake. Looked at Moomba and Supra at the local dealer and decided to look at the Malibu at another local dealer. (Also looked at Mastercraft for good measure.) Well, I figured a boat nailing the bank account for around 50 large is going to be fairly comparable across brands. The Bu dealer wanted to make a sale and we had many conversations. The Moomba gravity games, well, he never even offered to take the cover off or even called me back.

OK, so after that history, It's owner preference and perogative to spend his/her hard earned money. I drive a Harley and pull the trailer with a Chevy. I don't squawk about Ford and Honda folks. Their choice. I don't look at Wakeworld much anymore because of the venomous brand loyalty. My Supra was an awesome boat. Well built, solid, never a mechanical failure. I don't think it was just luck.

OK, so look at my # of posts. I'm a lurker, not a writer, but had to speak out here. Credit to Spack for calling it out. Keep it friendly and informative. That's why I keep coming back. Who knows what brand will be there to help you out of a pickle sometime. Tease.gif

Hey Tory, good post. I love your phrase "venomous brand loyalty". You hit the nail on the head.... some folks treat their brand loyalty like it's a cult or something. You and Spack should keep posting and posting and posting.... provides new (and friendly) perspective to our love of watersports.

Edited by doughickey

Hey Tory, good post. I love your phrase "venomous brand loyalty". You hit the nail on the head.... some folks treat their brand loyalty like it's a cult or something. You and Spack should keep posting and posting and posting.... provides new (and friendly) perspective to our love of watersports.

Doug, it's too bad that you thought only Spack, Tory and yourself had valid input to this thread. Maybe I shouldn't, but I'll take that as a personal insult. Especially your comment about "a bunch of arrogant/snobby kids". I would assume that meb885 wasn't the only target of your comment, especially since I was the second poster in this thread. I can assure that I am not arrogant, snobby, or a kid. Maybe I'm wearing my heart on my sleeve. Dontknow.gif

While endless "venemous" brand loyalty drives me nuts as well, let's not go so far as to censor other people's opinions. After all, the reason we all frequent this site is because we love our Bu's, and it's natural for some people to be extremely loyal to their brand. If it weren't for the brand loyalty, people like Wakegirl, Ronnie, and others wouldn't have the passion to even run this site. Occasionally we'll get the "such and such brand sucks" posts, but as long as there are more moderate posts like my own, and the occasional stern post like Spack's and yours, as a whole this board will continue to be well respected and well visited.

And for this community to occasionally have the opportunity to prove its tolerance of different viewpoints is a good thing.

My last boat was a Century Riviera 5 meter, I/O, 4 cyl. Ford/Mercruiser, shallow v bottom, closed bow, and it ROCKED! Great footing boat. Faster than my inboard. Skied better than my friends Thompson. I hope nobody rags on old boats. Any boat is better than nothing, even a Bayliner, canoe, paddle boat, row boat, jet boat.......

:)

I'm truly at a loss of words for how stuck up you sound. If I were the guy in the Supra I'd never let you step foot on my "cheap" boat again... If Malibu wasn't making the VLX I'd probably have a 20V or 21V. Honestly it sounds like you're a little jealous and trying to put his boat down to make yourself feel better. I'd gladly bet you that when both boats are sacked out (your echelon vs his supra 20SS) his boat spanks the poop out of yours. Tease2.gif

Doug, it's too bad that you thought only Spack, Tory and yourself had valid input to this thread. Maybe I shouldn't, but I'll take that as a personal insult. Especially your comment about "a bunch of arrogant/snobby kids". I would assume that meb885 wasn't the only target of your comment, especially since I was the second poster in this thread. I can assure that I am not arrogant, snobby, or a kid. Maybe I'm wearing my heart on my sleeve. Dontknow.gif

While endless "venemous" brand loyalty drives me nuts as well, let's not go so far as to censor other people's opinions. After all, the reason we all frequent this site is because we love our Bu's, and it's natural for some people to be extremely loyal to their brand. If it weren't for the brand loyalty, people like Wakegirl, Ronnie, and others wouldn't have the passion to even run this site. Occasionally we'll get the "such and such brand sucks" posts, but as long as there are more moderate posts like my own, and the occasional stern post like Spack's and yours, as a whole this board will continue to be well respected and well visited.

And for this community to occasionally have the opportunity to prove its tolerance of different viewpoints is a good thing.

Sorry I didn't itemize each poster's positive comments. My goodness, I give a couple of newer folks a compliment, and you get in a tizzy because I don't disect the entire thread with a scorecard. Take a look at MEB's other posts. See how tolerant he is of others. By the way, if somebody was arrogant or snobby.... do you really think they would realize it?

I also understand brand loyalty, but (in my opinion) the anti-Supra comments crossed a line. Also, not trying to censor.... just don't appreciate the anti-non-malibu arrogance.

If I insulted folks, I apologize.

Edited by doughickey

Look guys! i have already apologized for rubbing some people the wrong way, i was comenting on the quality of THIS supra. i have not been on many others, even with Malibu a boat is only as good as the dealer that services it.....and i don't think the supra dealer here (i think its in Fenton, MI) does a wonderful job.

in positive news though, in my move accross cass lake road from Cass Lake onto Sylvan Lake (a much more ski oriented lake) i have seen a LOT of REALLY nice 'bu's a few more Echelons, a few euro f3s and a BUNCH of newer boats.

Again, im sorry guys, read my other posts like doug said. i am VERY tolerant typically, i was moreso angry that the guys boat was sinking and he didnt seem to care.... he was wondering why his surf wake sucked.... lol...i would of laughed at the same situation on a 'bu or a mc, or a nautique, or anything else.

Sorry I didn't itemize each poster's positive comments. My goodness, I give a couple of newer folks a compliment, and you get in a tizzy because I don't disect the entire thread with a scorecard. Take a look at MEB's other posts. See how tolerant he is of others. By the way, if somebody was arrogant or snobby.... do you really think they would realize it?

I also understand brand loyalty, but (in my opinion) the anti-Supra comments crossed a line. Also, not trying to censor.... just don't appreciate the anti-non-malibu arrogance.

If I insulted folks, I apologize.