Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Extreme Trailer Guide Post?

jesutton3

Had a problem with our 07 VLX on Extreme trailer this weekend. We carried it to a different lake with a steeper ramp than what the home lake has. It was a ramp that is sloped about the same as all other ramps we've used. The home lake has a ramp that is an unusally shallow slope. To the point of almost having to put the rear bumper competly under water to get the boat on and off the trailer. While on the normal sloped ramp this weekend it came to my attention that the guide post on the Extreme trailer are way to short. While loading we bumped the post just slightly. The top of the post happened to be exactly in the middle of the Wakesetter decal on the side of the hull. Which the post promtly peeled off. On the previous 01 VLX with Boat Mate trailer we carried it to this lake on several occasions and if the post was ever bumped they were still several inches above the rub rail. Has anyone else had a similar problem with the Extreme trailer? Do they have different height guide post from the factory or is this something I'm going to have to make myself?

I've got an older 2004 Extreme. My guide posts are metal fixed posts with a 2" PVC tube, with a cap, that covers the metal post. So, when I put my boat in / out the PVC tube floats and my boat hits that and it guides the boat in. It doesn't matter how deep the water is, my posts always sit a few feet above the water.

Also, I have the foam covers over the PVC tubes, this also helps them float.

Here's a pic of what they look like without the foam covers:

http://extremetrailers.com/malibu/malibu_other_options.html#

I assume your guide posts are fixed / carpeted - otherwise you wouldn't have this problem.

You are correct they are carpeted. The Boat Mate had the pvc style but I was unaware Extreme had the option for the pvc style.

Edited by jesutton3

This is where you need to have your trailer shallower, and where something like liquid rollers (bunk lube) really helps.. you can just dip the bunks to get them wet, and pull up until the bunks start to show

Then just gently power load the boat up the trailer - with the bunks lubed, it isn't an issue - and saves the side of the hull from the guides

With that said - those fixed/carpeted guides tend to be rough on the hull - I prefer the rolling/floatin PVC ones, though you still have to be sure you don't put the trailer down too deep, or the tubes will float off ;)

You are correct they are carpeted. The Boat Mate had the pvc style but I was unaware Extreme had the option for the pvc style.

If you're worried about doing that again, I'd change them out for the floating tube style.

Yup, that's what we optioned for on our Extreme on our '06 after having the carpeted fixed guides on our '04. They look cool, but don't give you the flexibility of the rolling pvc. Of course you still have to be careful, the pvc has its own difficulties.

Thanks for the help. And yes the carpeted post look cool but after using them now I'm not so sure how much i actually like them. I've used the pvc style on every other boat and had no problems ever. But one small bump on the carpeted and peel off a sticker would get expensive fast. I haven't had the boat long enough to find out, but how long does the carpet really hold up with the newer rub rails with the screws? Seems to me it would be similar to running a cheese grater down the carpet.

I've always wanted to try to skydive.

Every Extreme trailer I've seen had the carpeted posts, my current and last one included. I wish I had known that Extreme had the option of the PVC style when I bought my boat. My first boat had a SportBoat trailer with the PVC pipe, covered with padding and and nice cover. That is by far nicer than the carpeted posts. Now I may have to talk to Extreme and see how much for the PVC style posts.

Thanks for the help. And yes the carpeted post look cool but after using them now I'm not so sure how much i actually like them. I've used the pvc style on every other boat and had no problems ever. But one small bump on the carpeted and peel off a sticker would get expensive fast. I haven't had the boat long enough to find out, but how long does the carpet really hold up with the newer rub rails with the screws? Seems to me it would be similar to running a cheese grater down the carpet.

Yes, I think that would be a concern, but I don't have any personal experience with that. My own concern is that it just doesn't forgive as well. The guide poles float up & if you are out of alignment a little, they'll put you right without hurting the boat. The carpet is low enough that I've seen other boats that are marked up under the rub rail at the bow area from coming in a little off center & hitting the carpet. I think though that you have to take most of this with a grain of salt. Either way, if you come in hot you stand the chance of doing some damage. I've known people to hit the pvc hard enough to break them off & gouge the gel. You have to come in slow & steady IMO, that alone will forgive a lot of other mistakes.

You have to come in slow & steady IMO, that alone will forgive a lot of other mistakes.

Agreed. But in his original post it was the fact that it hit right at the decal. If he'd been going slow enough would it have peeled? Probably not.

Now I may have to talk to Extreme and see how much for the PVC style posts.

mrothwell and jesutton3

I'd go and get some PVC and just put them on top your existing carpeted bunks. You may need to use 3" instead of 2" - which means you'd have to get some custom made pads - but I'm sure Screamin' Sacs would do that for you. My posts, under the PVC, are removable. I don't see how they would be any better than the guide posts you already have. I think it would be pretty easy to make that upgrade yourself.

Couldn't have gone much slower without getting out and pushing it in. The newer Wakesetter decals that are drip molded, all seperate, and relativly skinny stickers take less to peel than the older thicker Malibu drip mold.

Edited by jesutton3

You have to come in slow & steady IMO, that alone will forgive a lot of other mistakes.

Agreed. But in his original post it was the fact that it hit right at the decal. If he'd been going slow enough would it have peeled? Probably not.

Hard to know. That carpet is pretty rough stuff considering the fact that it's supposed to act as a buffer (no pun intended).

For those with the pvc and foam floatie tubes, do you have a nylon or a carpet outer layer? Mine is nylon and gets all cut up as I pull the boat off (due to the pull to the right) and on if I ... stray ... :unsure: Seems like carpet outer liner would last longer, any experiences or know where to find these? I have '04 extreme.

{does this count as a hijack?}

Edited by Green_Giant
For those with the pvc and foam floatie tubes, do you have a nylon or a carpet outer layer? Mine is nylon and gets all cut up as I pull the boat off (due to the pull to the right) and on if I ... stray ... :unsure: Seems like carpet outer liner would last longer, any experiences or know where to find these? I have '04 extreme.

I don't think so. Ours is nylon & from what I've seen this is the most common. It does get a little beat up over time, but I think that I'd rather have a $50ish set of guide covers get beat up vs. the boat. JMO of course. :)

I don't think so. Ours is nylon & from what I've seen this is the most common. It does get a little beat up over time, but I think that I'd rather have a $50ish set of guide covers get beat up vs. the boat. JMO of course. :)

The Ryan trailor guides I've seen have carpet over the foam & pvc, they float too but I assume last longer than the nylon, that's what I was asking about, sorry to be vague earlier. Seems like that would be best of both worlds, just haven't found them around town.

The Ryan trailor guides I've seen have carpet over the foam & pvc, they float too but I assume last longer than the nylon, that's what I was asking about, sorry to be vague earlier. Seems like that would be best of both worlds, just haven't found them around town.

I've got a Ryan trailer, and the problem I had was the carpet was too heavy to allow the guides to float up... therefore if you did rub on them, they were below the rub-rail.. and since there were vertical (vs slanted out) you'd just be pushing on the top edge (baaaad) I've since replaced the carpet with the nylon covers and they float up nicely, so they hit the rub rail as they should.