Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sunsetter LX floor issue

Hello everyone this is my first post on the board.

I recently bought a 2000 Malibu Sunsetter LX and have recently noticed a few issues. 2 of the 3 issues have answers that I found by searching the board.(fuel gauge, hds leak) The 3rd issue that I had was a weak spot in the floor. The bad spot is the removable panel that is just behind the motor. That panel seems to be a piece of carpeted plywood or something that has rotted out.(it is very weak and bows downward) I was under the impression that there was no more wood construction on these boats. Has anyone come up with a good fix for the problem? I initially thought supporting the piece would work but that seems hopeless. My next thought was try to make my own custom fiberglass piece to carpet and install in that spot.

My next thought was try to make my own custom fiberglass piece to carpet and install in that spot.

First off.. Welcome.gif

Instead of trying to make a custom piece of fiberglass, why not just use MDF and resin coat it? Might save you some time and head aches, unless your a fiberglass gooroo that is...

First off Welcome to the board,

Welcome.gif

I have used polypro or cpvc sheet in a few repairs and it worked out pretty well. You never have to worry about it rotting out agian, it's pretty strong and light won't soak up water.

You can still drill and screw into it very easy without it cracking Biggrin.gif

Good Luck.

Ok thanks for the replies. I wasn't hard set on making it out of fiberglass that was just my first idea. I like the mdf or cpvc idea. Those materials are readily available and seem easy to work with. Thanks for the replies.

Just as a side note, I can't believe I waited as long as I did before buying a high quality boat like a malibu. I am extremely happy with this boat regardless of the small issue that the boat has.

Thanks again,

Brad

Don't use MDF! Even if it never gets wet it will sag on it's own. If you are able to seal it real good, you may get a month or two before the edges start to swell but that would be stretching it.

I'd reccomend getting a new honeycomb aluminum floor panel, which is what the original was. (Perhaps it delaminated)

Peter

Plus1.gif

I usually try not to step on this panel in order to prevent deforming it in the future. I don't know if it's really necessary, but it can't hurt.