Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

05 vs 07 Response LXI

iowaskiiier

i'm looking at buying an 05 or an 07 Response LXI - both low hours and nice shape - of course the 07 looks more appealing - windshield looks different, and the boat just looks a little bigger (at least in the pictures i have). Is there any significant differences I should be concerned about if i decide on the 05 model? Of course it's cheaper, so I'm leaning towards it, more depreciation already taken. But, if the 07 is that much more "new and improved", maybe it might be better in the long run. It will mostly be a slalom boat for me. Thanks!

Unfortunately this is third-hand info, but there was an '07 RLXi that was demonstrated at my lake a couple of weeks ago. I heard that a couple of the guys didn't like it. I can tell you that I occasionally get pulled by a couple in our club that has an '04 or '05 RLXi. I can tell you that the wake behind that boat is SAWEEET. I'm sure the '07 isn't noticably worse, but it didn't sound like it was better. I even heard a comment that there was a big bump at 15 off, but I'm not positive I'm remembering that correctly. I know that typically there are bump issues at 22 off.

Something that I did get second-hand is that the new windshield is a good thing. Someone who wasn't sold on the new design said that they are sold on it after seeing it first-hand.

Hopefully, someone with an objective opinion with first-hand knowledge will chime in. Good luck with your decision. I really don't think you can go wrong with either boat.

I have skied behind both many times. There is not a noticable difference in wakes between the two. I would buy the one that has all the features your looking for. If the 05 has everything you want you will be very happy with performance.

i'm looking at buying an 05 or an 07 Response LXI - both low hours and nice shape Is there any significant differences I should be concerned about if i decide on the 05 model?

SKI BEHIND THEM. Or other boats of same year. You probably know this already, but 03-06 is one hull/deck and 07 is the next generation.

I have an 07 and love it. I don,t think I see much difference between 05 and 07 my neighbor has an 05 and it is also a great ski boat. If I closed my eyes I don't think I could tell you which boat I was skiing. I think the 07 handles just a bit better and is a littel harder to dunk the bow. The 07 may be more weight sensitive. The new windshield is nice it will clear from fogging very quick it gets a plus from me. I have the 320 LCR and am not disappointed at all didn't see the need for more.

i didn't know there was a change between the 05-06 deck and hull, vs the 07 now. thanks for that info - i wonder if that change alone is worth stepping up to the 07?

i didn't know there was a change between the 05-06 deck and hull, vs the 07 now. thanks for that info - i wonder if that change alone is worth stepping up to the 07?

Much of what's already been answered actually addresses those changes... the skiability, tracking, etc...

Assuming the tracking and skiability are close enough that you can't tell the difference, which I believe is true, then much of it comes down to which boat you think looks the best. They are VERY different looking from the outside.

So, assuming they both have the same engine, options, etc... get out and ski and drive both of them and go with your gut. In the end you can't go wrong with either.

By the way, I didn't see it mentioned, but assuming the 2007 has the Monsoon there actually would be an engine difference between the two. The 2007 Monsoon comes with the cats and, along with it, the closed loop system. Some consider that a pro, some a con.

Mike

I love my 2005 Rlxi! I have not skied behind a 2007. Besides the hull change, the 2005 will have a throttle cable vs. the fly by wire on the 2007. The 2005 will not have speed control unless it has Perfect Pass. The 2007 will at least have the cruise control that Malibu puts in now. I still like the look of my 2005 better than the 2007, but they both are really nice. The 2007 will have a few technological advances vs. the 2005 which may be good or bad depending on your likes and dislikes.

Good Luck. I'm sure you will be happy either way.

I'm in the situation of deciding between 07 and 05/06 and my concern is the performance in choppy water, I live on a larger lake and it gets choppy and busy with other boat traffic. I feel they both ski great etc... but am leaning for the 07 based on rough water ability. Any experience is appreciated. thanks

Hi All,

I had an 04 RLxi for 3 years and have had an 07 RLxi for 4 months. The biggest differences for me are :-

- the bow on the 07 is approx. 6 inches higher than the 04. This is a big improvement as water over the front of the 04

was always an issue, as a driver you had to be very aware of rollers and where they were coming from in the 04 and

sometimes you just couldn't get out of a situation (eg picking up a skier) and just had to accept a roller over the bow.

- the standard Malibu speed control in the 07 works well

- the new screen does stay clear from fogging on early morning runs, the 04 screen would fogg up no matter what we

did to it

- the new Rockford Fosgate speakers in the 07 are better than the 04's

I also think the 07 rear ski locker is a little bigger than the 04 as well. On water performance and the wake I don't think are significantly different. If you ski somewhere where rollers or rough water are not an issue then the 05 would probably be fine. As others have said go & drive both and see what you think. We are all different and have different crews and ways we use a boat. See if you can spend a couple of hours in the boat you are considering, using it how you would normally use it. Not always easy to organise but a 20 or 30 minute test drive doesn't always tell you a lot.

Cheers Ian J :)

I own an '05 and I had the chance to spend the day driving and skiing an '07 during a recent ski clinic. My observations are that they both ski very similar, for me there was no noticeable difference. I also did not notice anything significant in handling and driveability. The biggest noticeable difference for me was the higher bow in the '07, I can definetely see that it would be harder to submerge. I will say however, that I was very concerned about submarining my '05 based on all the comments on this board. I got the boat this spring and the only time I have ever had an issue is when I had people in the open bow and I had the wedge down pulling a wakeboarder. I got a little water in the bow turning around to pick them up but I learned if you just wait a couple seconds that takes care of that too. Obviously the boats look different too but that is personal preference. At the end of the ski clinic I must say I thought that the '07 was a nice boat but I was and am perfectly happy with my '05. I don't think you will go wrong with either boat but like the others say, ski and drive them both and decide from there.

I own an '05 and I had the chance to spend the day driving and skiing an '07 during a recent ski clinic. My observations are that they both ski very similar, for me there was no noticeable difference. I also did not notice anything significant in handling and driveability. The biggest noticeable difference for me was the higher bow in the '07, I can definetely see that it would be harder to submerge. I will say however, that I was very concerned about submarining my '05 based on all the comments on this board. I got the boat this spring and the only time I have ever had an issue is when I had people in the open bow and I had the wedge down pulling a wakeboarder. I got a little water in the bow turning around to pick them up but I learned if you just wait a couple seconds that takes care of that too. Obviously the boats look different too but that is personal preference. At the end of the ski clinic I must say I thought that the '07 was a nice boat but I was and am perfectly happy with my '05. I don't think you will go wrong with either boat but like the others say, ski and drive them both and decide from there.

grnautique is right about submerging the bow. It was a concern I had as well. However, like him, we have only done it once. It was one of the first times we had it out and it was turning around to pick up a skier as a large swell went by. We learned how to avoid it and have never done it since. To me, it really isn't an issue at all.

By the way, did I say I love my '05? Clap.gif

• 4 years later...

I'm digging up an old thread from a search instead of starting a new one since it was mostly the same topic. I'm in the used market and looking at an RXLi. I'm not quite in the course yet but skiing is the only watersport I really have a passion for and want to improve on, so I'm thinking of switching my 20' V-drive crossover for a DD. I need an open bow for kids and a couple times a year do some more family type outings with say 4 adults/4 kids. The RXLi has caught my eye for a couple reasons, I but had a couple questions about them and the differences between the old hulls and the new ones.

- This is generic to either model, but I have found in searches that the rear tow eye is good for ~400#. Can this be used to pull adults (under 200lbs) on two skis? What about the same adult on 1 ski, but once they get up, they do nothing but stay behind the boat or no-load wake crossings (total beginners)? I, and anyone who is the least bit aggressive will only ski from the pylon, but if I'm out teaching new people I'm just wondering if I can make use of the rear seating if I don't have a tower/extend pylon/boom or not.

- I know the 07's have increased freeboard. I'm not concerned about taking water over the bow as 90% of our boating is on a small calm river and I can be careful enough to not make it an issue picking up a rider. How noticeable is this inside the boat though? Is the seating in the bow and cabin noticeably more shallow in the 06 vs. 07 models? I'm just thinking more from a passenger comfort perspective when going out with non hardcore skiers. Do the 07's feel a lot more 'roomy' than the 05's or is most of the change just the running surface and how high it sits in the water? It's hard to tell from the pictures I've found. If you had a few kids on the boat (mine is 1, so think anywhere from toddler up), would that push you towards one model instead of the other?

- Are there any storage differences between the two models? Anyone know offhand how much? Ie, number or length of skis that fit in the rear trunk, differences in under observer storage, etc. We have docks right nearby on the river so it's not a tremendous issue, but I'm curious if it will help save a trip to the dock here or there to swap gear.

Money is a concern and the earlier models will generally save me a couple bucks, but I've found a few used ones that are such that I could probably stretch my budget a bit and get an 07+. I know the standard answer is to go check out both. I will before actually purchasing, but any dealer with inventory I can look at, or a used for me to go look at is at least a 2-3 or more (5+) hour trip though so I can't just check them all out on a whim and was hoping to help form an opinion to narrow my choices.

Welcome poski.

You should be able to use the rear handle for that.

If you plan on putting people up front, get the 07+. We had an 05 rlxi. With just a little weight up there you have to go from careful to paranoid. The running surface is essentially the exact same. 07s don't feel more roomy per se but they do feel safer for kids.

If there is a storage difference, it is slight.

As for wakes, the cut diamond supposedly had a 20% better 22 off bump. I couldn't tell the difference. They will both ski world class.

One aspect not mentioned is barefooting characteristics. Feedback I have seen is the '06 and earlier hull is a much better footing hull. You could probably get some excellent details from Ron Scarpa's school or another answer here. Advice would be to test all your disciplines before buying.