Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fins or finless?

MalibuBuzz

Ok, my question is simple...do you keep the fins on your wakeboard, or do you go finless? What's your preference and why?

Ok, my question is simple...do you keep the fins on your wakeboard, or do you go finless? What's your preference and why?

I keep mine on, otherwise I tend to continuously fall on my A$$!

Edited by Hman442

What kind of ride do you want? What's your experience level? My board had 3 removable fins on each end. 1.0" on each corner, and 1.3" in the middle. I took a clinic with Kyle Schmidt and he told me to take the middle fins out so I did. I still have the 1.0's on each corner. On some boards those are molded in. Kyle recommended long fins that aren't all that tall. My take on it is that the fins are good for stability which you want for a beginner. My board felt quite a bit looser taking the center fins out. Took a little bit getting used to it. The board would slide out from under me while edging. That probably meant I was relying on the fins rather than truly edging the board. It's also a lot easier to do surface spins and switches without the fin. Now that I'm used to it, I like it better. Don't think I would want a totally finless board at my level (novice), but I think too much fin for too long and you'll develop some bad habits.

I ride a very stable board, (hyperlite Motive) so I ride finless. The board carves great on the edge without the fins. It helps work on surface 180's and surface 360 carshes. Crazy.gif

Ditto, remove the fins, it's loose at first but you become a better rider.

I agree with this. Without the fins you learn to really edge the board instead of relying on the fins for directional control. Of course I have been on a trick ski since I was a kid so I am used to that slippery surface.

ditto. LF Substance and Fish without fins and rely on the molded in fins. Back 3-4 years ago when I was just learning I would leave the fin on one end of the board that would be in the water when riding switch. It gave a little more stability when getting the hang of riding and landing switched. But back then, there was not too many boards with molded in fins either.

If just learning, I'd say leave the fins in for a while since you are just trying to figure things out. Else, drop 'em.

I ride fin less so that I have to learn more board control and proper edging. If you start riding switch then I would put only one fin on (the rear fin when riding switch) so that you have easyer control untell you get the fell of things.

Yesterday fins in...after reading this thread, fins out, or atleast the middle ones are coming out, which in todays standards my middle fin looks like a slalom ski!!!!!!!!

Hmm, ok, well, I guess the reason I ask is because my back fin set fell off last Saturday. I have an O'Brien Vixen wakeboard that both me and my daughter use....we both ride with right foot forward, left foot back, and the back fin was getting loose, then stripped, then we lost the whole fin. I was thinking of just removing the fins, as the CWB we both learned on, we had it finless. I put the fins on the Vixen when I purchased it to see what differences we could tell.....there does seem to be more control in some ways, but next to impossible to rotate the board without a faceplant with the fins on. I am just trying to decide if I should buy another set of fins for it or go finless.......

Center fins help the board track but are totally unnecessary once you learn to ride using your edges. Removing them will give the board a looser feel and make surface maneuvers less dangerous.

I should also add that removing center fins from a beginner board is not a good idea. Most beginner boards don't have well defined rails and using the edges to ride can be difficult without the center fins. Most intermediate and all advanced boards would be no problem.

Edited by LouDoc
If you would stop tearing up your gear it wouldn't matter. If you do decice to put the missing fin back on, use the extra bolt from your kneeboard. Tease.gif

Gosh, I can't believe you didn't tell me to quit buying my stuff at BIG LOTS! Tongue.gif What "extra" bolt from my kneeboard??? Dontknow.gif That's in the bottom of the lake, thanks to Josh.... Tongue.gif Actually, I have that all fixed now and it's ready for Josh to ride again for some...Kewlpics.gif I know you both are dieing to go tubing together too - INT Champ stand for International Nerdy Tubers? ROFL.gif