Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakeboard size

Boomer

Hah! I'm "renting" my services to several people from my wife's office, as an off-site for them. They have someone in from their London office who wants to wakeboard, and apparently he's pretty good. I'm going to be trying these new boards in the process, and will have them available for the guests to try as well.

Anyway, they're paying for it all. :) I took a day off. About to head out, it's 90 degrees outside right now, water 84 degrees. :)

With a deal like that, who cares what board you're riding?!

My bet is that you'll like the LF Substance.....sweet board. Which bindings are you using?

Great thread......

If you do like the LF substance, then try the Gator Gonzalez then tell me what you think. I'll bet you will really like it.

Scott, don't be a hater. ;)

Superjet, my bindings are CWB Boss.

Ok, didn't care much for the Hyperlite Murray 138. It has huge continuous rocker. My son loved it, but to me it felt like it sloshed through the wake, but landing was SUPER soft. My form isn't good enough to get any pop out of it, although my son was getting good air on it, and loved it all around. I guess it depends on the rider style.

I freaking LOVED the LF Substance 138 though. Maybe my favorite board I've ever ridden. It cut hard but never slid out, popped hard on the wake, landed very controllable, yet broke loose easy when I wanted to surface spin. Hell, I even felt better riding switch on the thing.

I might have found myself a board. :) You'd think my skillz aren't near up to this board's level, but whatever, I loved it!

I even started working my speed up as Neal suggested, to almost 22. I think I'll ride at 22 next time.

Were there any changes to the Substance from '04 - '05? If not, maybe I can find an '04 on clearance.

Hey Boomer, glad you liked it. The substance is a great board for all levels of riders. ASAIK the board did not change any from 04 to 05 other than graphics.

Yep, you said it. Local shops have plenty 134's left over, no 138's, the most popular size.

I snagged an '05 and used my demo money toward it. I'm stoked to go out again. :)

I have last years 142 substance and love it.

I am also fairly large and found the difference between 21 and 23 to be huge!

I am riding at 23mph now....

What difference are you feeling in the ride going faster? I've been riding at 20.5 mph and get HS w2w pretty easy and have fun with the slides and switch stuff. I also ride at 65.

Is it easier to be 70' and ride faster? The wake does get a little bit wider.

Greg

Scott, don't be a hater. ;)

Just want to be sure you knew I was kidding. Right?

My boat's in the shop and it's been in the mid to upper 80's all week and I am stuck at work. Cry.gif

I'm still really jealous, though.

Oh yeah, I knew you were kidding. Notice my winky. :)

The people I took out tried to talk me into taking Wed. off as well, and going out again, but that was a bit much, lol. I'd love to be out every day, but I do have to PAY for the boat sometime or another!

I am just freaking dying to try my new wakeboard though, ugh!

Edited by Boomer

my buddy just got the 05 substance and it is a sweet board. it rode like a beginner board but had all the pop when demanded.

we used to ride around 21.5 and 22. i just rode at about 23-23.5 and love it. it is sooo much easier to ollie and get around on the water in general. falls hurt a bit more, but that's to be expected.

if you speed up the wake will get narrower and smaller. that's why pros ride at 23-25mph with a ton of extra ballast and 80' lines.

Edited by madchild