Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Painting a brand new 'Bu??

SummerObsession

I am very seriously considering upgrading from my brand X boat to a 'Bu, but I really don't care for any of the stock colors. Has anyone ordered an all white boat and then painted it?

I know a great shop that does some incredible work, and I think it would be cool to see what they could do.

I have also considered a vinyl wrap and replacing it every other year.

Opinions??

Thanks

I am very seriously considering upgrading from my brand X boat to a 'Bu, but I really don't care for any of the stock colors. Has anyone ordered an all white boat and then painted it?

I know a great shop that does some incredible work, and I think it would be cool to see what they could do.

I have also considered a vinyl wrap and replacing it every other year.

Opinions??

Thanks

My sggestion would be to keep searching for a boat that has the colors you prefer and spend more time on the water. Other boats I've seen painted well don't look great and vinyl why deal w/ it every year.

I agree with the spend more time on the water thing...although here in Kansas, it's tough to launch a boat on ice in the winter.

Edited by SummerObsession

I guess I should be more specific here...it's not that I don't like the colors, it's just that there aren't that many choices and I would like something different. I don't want to paint the ENTIRE boat, just the hull sides from the rubrail down.

I agree with the spend more time on the water thing...although here in Kansas, it's tough to launch a boat on ice in the winter.

I hope I'm not being too low level for you, I don't know your background with boating. However, the "paint" for skiboats is actually baked into the fiberglass. It is called gelcoat. Painting the boat would immediately devalue it rather than increase it's value. The vinyl option could work if you are really into it. Again, if you are aware of this forgive me but as a base line I've NEVER seen a new boat hull (towers, etc. I have) "painted". The durability would be another question. MB Boats make some out there gel coat patterns. That may be something to look at if you are interested in loud patterns. The Tomcat is as "unique" as they come in my opinion.

Get it "wrapped" in vinyl. If you do a search on www.wakeworld.com you will find some really cool boat wraps that have been done. Active Water Sports had a wrapped boat at the PDX boat show this past year and it was really cool!. You can have anything you want done for a wrap. The most famous Bu wrap job was the 23LSV Camo wrap Rockon.gif

I hope I'm not being too low level for you, I don't know your background with boating. However, the "paint" for skiboats is actually baked into the fiberglass. It is called gelcoat. Painting the boat would immediately devalue it rather than increase it's value. The vinyl option could work if you are really into it. Again, if you are aware of this forgive me but as a base line I've NEVER seen a new boat hull (towers, etc. I have) "painted". The durability would be another question. MB Boats make some out there gel coat patterns. That may be something to look at if you are interested in loud patterns. The Tomcat is as "unique" as they come in my opinion.

All boats (with the obvious exception of metal boats) are made the same way with the outside "clear coat" being sprayed first, then essentially they are built from the outside in.

This does not, however, preclude ANY boat from being painted AFTER it is assembled. In fact, most all of the extreme upper end offshore boats (Skater, MTI, Outerlimits, Nortech, etc) are actually painted rather than sprayed with colored gel coat.

As any boat manufacturer will admit, the level of detail possible with a gelcoat "paint scheme" is rather limited, thus one of the main reasons they use paint.

Again, I do not wish to paint the ENTIRE boat, in fact just the hull sides from the rubrail down. For me a light color on the deck is MANDATORY in the hot sun, so a factory gel coat color would be just fine.

You will kill the resale value, but if you're fine with that go ahead, and post pics!

If it was something classy and not 'Walt Disney threw up on the boat" colorful, would that really hurt the resale value?

I was actually thinking ordering overall silver with just some nice House of Kolor accents for color.

Get it "wrapped" in vinyl. If you do a search on www.wakeworld.com you will find some really cool boat wraps that have been done. Active Water Sports had a wrapped boat at the PDX boat show this past year and it was really cool!. You can have anything you want done for a wrap. The most famous Bu wrap job was the 23LSV Camo wrap Rockon.gif

Was it the BU or the girl standing next to it?

post-28-1186442776_thumb.jpg

Whistling.gif I would take either Biggrin.gif

That boat is somewhat of an oxymoron, comouflaged, but not for its intended surroundings.

I have not seen the boat yet, but there is a guy here in Denver that bought a 07 247 and painted it with flames. He owns a hotrod shop and could not live with it. Also had the dash redone and put a Tige tower on it. I have heard it looks really cool.

He had always owned Skaters before and would repaint every year.

One of his good friends is the owner of the MC dealership. I bet he is pissed.

Dwayne

Actually, it would not be too hard to launch one on the ice but you can't do much with it once launched and getting it back on the trailer may be a bit od a biatch.

I'm not seeing a boat in that pic.

I have not seen the boat yet, but there is a guy here in Denver that bought a 07 247 and painted it with flames. He owns a hotrod shop and could not live with it. Also had the dash redone and put a Tige tower on it. I have heard it looks really cool.

Dwayne

I would like to see pic of that one. Sounds like something V. Gaines would do, if you know who I'm talking about. In the past he has had Fineline graphics do his race car trailer with some outstandingly detailed vinyl, but I haven't seen his newer stuff.

As for the camo boat, both look extremely high maintenance, don't they?

I'd take the girl Drool.gif , no thanks on the redneck express. Crazy.gif

All boats (with the obvious exception of metal boats) are made the same way with the outside "clear coat" being sprayed first, then essentially they are built from the outside in.

This does not, however, preclude ANY boat from being painted AFTER it is assembled. In fact, most all of the extreme upper end offshore boats (Skater, MTI, Outerlimits, Nortech, etc) are actually painted rather than sprayed with colored gel coat.

As any boat manufacturer will admit, the level of detail possible with a gelcoat "paint scheme" is rather limited, thus one of the main reasons they use paint.

Again, I do not wish to paint the ENTIRE boat, in fact just the hull sides from the rubrail down. For me a light color on the deck is MANDATORY in the hot sun, so a factory gel coat color would be just fine.

I think you are missing my point, you "CAN" paint anything. The question was should you. Offshore boats are made for salt water and the paint is a protective element in that application. That is not apples to apples.

Anyway, I think you've already made up your mind and you are more looking for people to say yeah that's a great idea. If that's the case enjoy the boat and if paint will make you happy go for it. I'll look forward to seeing the pictures!

hack: no, I understand your point. While I haven't made up my mind, asking opinions and finding pictures of those that have done something similar will certainly help. That was the intent of my post. The way I read your post indicated that boat paint WAS gel coat, although as you are obviously aware, the two are completely different. While all boats have gel coat, some manufaturers choose to paint over it for a more refined finish. Many offshore boats are not "painted" primarily because of the additional cost (I'm thinking fishing type boats here, and they spend all their time sitting in the water).

hack: no, I understand your point. While I haven't made up my mind, asking opinions and finding pictures of those that have done something similar will certainly help. That was the intent of my post. The way I read your post indicated that boat paint WAS gel coat, although as you are obviously aware, the two are completely different. While all boats have gel coat, some manufaturers choose to paint over it for a more refined finish. Many offshore boats are not "painted" primarily because of the additional cost (I'm thinking fishing type boats here, and they spend all their time sitting in the water).

Gel coat is a polyester resin with color that is sprayed into the boat's hull and top deck mold as the first coat - it's about 15-20 mil thick. Structural fiberglass/polyester resin is then applied over that. Gel coat has nothing to do with clear coat or paint.

Gel coat can be painted. It's porous, so it should in fact be painted if the boat's going to sit in the water. If it's not painted or otherwise sealed, it's likely to blister as water seeps through its porous surface. There are a number of such sealing or antifouling paints out there, but if the purpose is decorative rather than protective, I'd suggest an actual paint like Imron over the Gel coat. Generally, these begin to look like crap after a few years, but they can always be repainted. All it takes is money.

Edited by Big Mac

QUOTE(maliboo @ Aug 6 2007, 11:42 PM)

Dwayne

I would like to see pic of that one. Sounds like something V. Gaines would do, if you know who I'm talking about. In the past he has had Fineline graphics do his race car trailer with some outstandingly detailed vinyl, but I haven't seen his newer stuff.

This guys shop is called Color on Wheels.

I have not seen V. Gainess stuff in awhile. I don't do the Mile High Nats. anymore, its to crazy. Besides we live about 1.5 miles from Bandimere and we get to hear the cars for days.

I have seen lots of Fineline work, they can do anything and its temporary. I would wrap.

My uncle's 1985 Four Winns was badly oxidized 2 years ago. He sanded the whole thing and had it painted with a high gloss but with the original color. He then had a local sign shop make up some replacement decals for it. Looks better than it did new.

post-23-1186599101.jpg

WTF the Desert Storm edition ?? Dontknow.gif

Edited by LS-One

post-23-1186599101.jpg

Vietnam. Desert Storm would be khaki.

post-23-1186599101.jpg

Vietnam. Desert Storm would be khaki.

Go light on the old goat...he was a submariner...he doesn't know any better ROFL.gif